Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Anyone On Here Ever Met An Actual, Active Ku Klux Klan Member Before?

Featured Replies

I guess. But every time I talk about white people being racist, there's always a chorus of "but they do it too" as though that somehow makes it OK.

 

Like most of the rest of you, I'm around white people far more than I am black people — not that that means I'm never around black folks, mind you. But since I'm around white folks more, I'm more concerned about correcting the bad stuff that comes from them. I'll leave it up to black folks to police themselves.

 

I think it's pretty fair to say that black racism is a natural reaction/defense mechanism to hundreds of years of shabby treatment by white folks. As Chris Rock would say, I'm not saying it's right, but I understand.

Speak for yourself. I'm not playing the "they do it too" game, just pointing out that it's sadly not gotten anywhere near where we should be racially. If it bothers you that I see both sides acting like fools, too bad, I will not let either off the hook. Racism should never be ignored no matter where it's coming from. Excuses get no one anywhere.

I really thought you knew me better than to think I was saying what you're accusing me of. Your perch is beginning to get a bit too lofty, Jim.

  • Replies 85
  • Views 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually have. I didn't know it at the time, but sort of suspected it. I asked someone who confirmed. The sad part was, this person was actually someone who had a decent amount of money and enough sense to carry on a conversation with you. He wasn't someone who wore racism on his sleeve, but was far, far more subtle about it.

 

I'd imagine that a lot of us have met someone like this, but just didn't know.

Some of you all crack me up.

 

The word redneck and racist shouldn't really be thrown around together nor used in the same context.......

 

 

Kentucky and West Virginia have a "redneck culture" but you know what......out of the 50 states they are ranked around 29 or 30 for number of hate groups and members.....

 

 

Because you are a redneck it doesn't make you racist.

 

Because you disagree with some politics of this nation, it doesn't make you a racist.

 

Being a racist makes you a racist.....

Speak for yourself. I'm not playing the "they do it too" game, just pointing out that it's sadly not gotten anywhere near where we should be racially. If it bothers you that I see both sides acting like fools, too bad, I will not let either off the hook. Racism should never be ignored no matter where it's coming from. Excuses get no one anywhere.

I really thought you knew me better than to think I was saying what you're accusing me of. Your perch is beginning to get a bit too lofty, Jim.

 

 

I think we need to be careful about saying both sides which could leave some to believe it is only a black and white issue in reality, it is all races. Case in point. There is a decent sized Mexican population in Louisville. As the Mexican population is "settling" in Louisville, many are opening little shops in town, especially in food service. While I like Mexican food, I really like authentic Mexican food which the migrant population brings with them. You are starting to see more and more Mexican Food "trailers" at heavy traffic areas. I am one who has nothing against immigrants desperate for a better life coming here so I thought I would support one. I stood in line with a $10 bill in my hand. When it came to my turn at the window, the guys in the trailer did everything they could to avoid acknowledging me (cleaning, going throw cabinets/shelves for stuff, etc.). I looked around and realized I was the only white guy and many of those sitting and eating at the tables were looking at me funny. It then occured to me that they were not waiting on my because I am white. I said the hell with it I took my business to a truly American calinary gem, White Castles!!! LOL

I think we need to be careful about saying both sides which could leave some to believe it is only a black and white issue in reality, it is all races. Case in point. There is a decent sized Mexican population in Louisville. As the Mexican population is "settling" in Louisville, many are opening little shops in town, especially in food service. While I like Mexican food, I really like authentic Mexican food which the migrant population brings with them. You are starting to see more and more Mexican Food "trailers" at heavy traffic areas. I am one who has nothing against immigrants desperate for a better life coming here so I thought I would support one. I stood in line with a $10 bill in my hand. When it came to my turn at the window, the guys in the trailer did everything they could to avoid acknowledging me (cleaning, going throw cabinets/shelves for stuff, etc.). I looked around and realized I was the only white guy and many of those sitting and eating at the tables were looking at me funny. It then occured to me that they were not waiting on my because I am white. I said the hell with it I took my business to a truly American calinary gem, White Castles!!! LOL
Point well taken.

The only reason I said both was Jim and I were mainly talking about back/white racial tension.

I think we need to be careful about saying both sides which could leave some to believe it is only a black and white issue in reality, it is all races. Case in point. There is a decent sized Mexican population in Louisville. As the Mexican population is "settling" in Louisville, many are opening little shops in town, especially in food service. While I like Mexican food, I really like authentic Mexican food which the migrant population brings with them. You are starting to see more and more Mexican Food "trailers" at heavy traffic areas. I am one who has nothing against immigrants desperate for a better life coming here so I thought I would support one. I stood in line with a $10 bill in my hand. When it came to my turn at the window, the guys in the trailer did everything they could to avoid acknowledging me (cleaning, going throw cabinets/shelves for stuff, etc.). I looked around and realized I was the only white guy and many of those sitting and eating at the tables were looking at me funny. It then occured to me that they were not waiting on my because I am white. I said the hell with it I took my business to a truly American calinary gem, White Castles!!! LOL

 

 

Culinary, not calinary.

 

Culinary, not calinary.

 

Just an aside here....this happened to you for the first time ever? Imagine what life is for people who face this daily.

I corrected myself, you and the other mods are out there correcting the masses LOL

I have never met a member of the KKK that I know of, but have had the misfortune to meet one of the most bigoted racist I've ever known. My father in law. He is so racist that it has gotten to the point I, nor the wife has anything to do with him anymore. We haven't seen him in over a decade and don't wish to anytime soon. We have nothing to do with him at all.

I have never met a member of the KKK that I know of, but have had the misfortune to meet one of the most bigoted racist I've ever known. My father in law. He is so racist that it has gotten to the point I, nor the wife has anything to do with him anymore. We haven't seen him in over a decade and don't wish to anytime soon. We have nothing to do with him at all.
So sad that someone can be so consumed with hatred that he allows it to ruin his relationship with his daughter. I just can't wrap my mind around that.
So sad that someone can be so consumed with hatred that he allows it to ruin his relationship with his daughter. I just can't wrap my mind around that.

 

There were other circumstances that contributed to all his daughters not wanting anything to do with him, but he as bad when it came to being a racist.

 

I remember one time I was up in Connecticut where they lived, me and the wife visiting. This was long ago, we were only married maybe 3 years at this time (25 years married now) and we went to a restaurant with him for dinner. We walk in and he looks over and see's an African American family sitting at a table eating dinner and he says in his loudest voice so everyone within a block could hear him. He said "I'm not eating in a place that lets ******* eat in plain view of me" I grabbed the wife's arm, walked up to the family eating and apologized, then turned and walked out of the restaurant, got in the car and drove to a hotel to stay that night instead of staying at his house where we had been. Went to his house the next morning to get our stuff and drove home.

 

I've never been more embarrassed or ashamed in my life than that night.

There were other circumstances that contributed to all his daughters not wanting anything to do with him, but he as bad when it came to being a racist.

 

I remember one time I was up in Connecticut where they lived, me and the wife visiting. This was long ago, we were only married maybe 3 years at this time (25 years married now) and we went to a restaurant with him for dinner. We walk in and he looks over and see's an African American family sitting at a table eating dinner and he says in his loudest voice so everyone within a block could hear him. He said "I'm not eating in a place that lets ******* eat in plain view of me" I grabbed the wife's arm, walked up to the family eating and apologized, then turned and walked out of the restaurant, got in the car and drove to a hotel to stay that night instead of staying at his house where we had been. Went to his house the next morning to get our stuff and drove home.

 

I've never been more embarrassed or ashamed in my life than that night.

 

Wow, saying something like that even in 1991(ish) could get your butt kicked, even by other white people in the room ticked off he said that.

  • Author
...because as of today, I have.

 

And he's working on my jobsite in Jeffersonville, IN (for now).

 

I met another Klansman today. Another Jeffersonville, Indiana native. I'm sitting here with a knot in my stomach and a scowl on my face just thinking about it as I type this.

I once worked with the brother of the Klansman who would put the cross up on Fountain Square at Christmas time. The brother was in the prison the last time I talked to the guy. He had all of his brother's Grand Wizard garb at his house. He was a pretty normal guy for the most part, even though his family members were messed up.

Some of you all crack me up.

 

The word redneck and racist shouldn't really be thrown around together nor used in the same context.......

 

 

Kentucky and West Virginia have a "redneck culture" but you know what......out of the 50 states they are ranked around 29 or 30 for number of hate groups and members.....

 

 

Because you are a redneck it doesn't make you racist.

 

Because you disagree with some politics of this nation, it doesn't make you a racist.

 

Being a racist makes you a racist.....

 

 

I would love to meet someone some day who is 100% void of any racist inclinations whatsoever. Doubt if it will happen. We all have SOME racial bias, some a lot more than others. But we're all guilty.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.