Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Punishing Cooper for slur complicated

Featured Replies

I'm so glad you guys have walked so many miles in my shoes in my travels across this state to be able to say that I'm making this up. Thanks for being there for me.

You make an ignorant post that comes across as all white use it when blacks aren't around and then you want to play the victim. Get over yourself.

  • Replies 123
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You make an ignorant post that comes across as all white use it when blacks aren't around and then you want to play the victim. Get over yourself.

 

Disagree. He actually ended that post by saying...'in my experiences'. Those words absolve all white people and only include the ones he has had experiences with.

Almost as if on cue, was at the bar tonight and some guy did the classic, "Are you guys racist?" I didn't say anything, but I knew what was coming next. He goes into a story about getting into a fight with a black guy and it was "n-this and n-that" and "I hate Ns."

 

As I have said a number of times, it's amazing how often that kind of talk comes up amongst white people when no black folks are around.

I hang around with white people all the time and I cannot even remember the last time that I heard the "N" word from one of them.
I hang around with white people all the time and I cannot even remember the last time that I heard the "N" word from one of them.

 

Perhaps you may be like a lot of other white folks who take the "la-la-la" approach and act like they don't hear it so they don't have to address it? Or maybe they're just using popular code words, and saying the same thing?

Perhaps you may be like a lot of other white folks who take the "la-la-la" approach and act like they don't hear it so they don't have to address it? Or maybe they're just using popular code words, and saying the same thing?
Perhaps you choose the places and the people with whom you hang out poorly. I do admit, however, when I hear the words "Detroit" and "Chicago," my racism detector does not even budge. If you don't go looking for racism and "code" words; and you don't put yourself in places where racists congregate, then you will not be exposed to it as often.

 

Perhaps you may be like a lot of other white folks who take the "la-la-la" approach and act like they don't hear it so they don't have to address it? Or maybe they're just using popular code words, and saying the same thing?

 

Or maybe not all whites are racist??

@EllingYelling: Joke circulating among Florida State fans: "A preacher, a murderer and a racist walk into a bar, and the bartender says, 'Go Gators!'"

Is this one of Urbans core values?

Or maybe not all whites are racist??

 

Please show me where I said they were.

Perhaps you choose the places and the people with whom you hang out poorly. I do admit, however, when I hear the words "Detroit" and "Chicago," my racism detector does not even budge. If you don't go looking for racism and "code" words; and you don't put yourself in places where racists congregate, then you will not be exposed to it as often.

 

I am a man of the people. Good, bad or otherwise. I do not choose to ignore that which I find troublesome. Unfortunately, many other white folks choose to overlook the behavior of their brethren, in an effort to avoid conflict. I'm guilty of it as well on more than one occasion. That doesn't mean those folks are racist, but they're not doing anything to solve the problem, either.

I am a man of the people. Good, bad or otherwise. I do not choose to ignore that which I find troublesome. Unfortunately, many other white folks choose to overlook the behavior of their brethren, in an effort to avoid conflict. I'm guilty of it as well on more than one occasion. That doesn't mean those folks are racist, but they're not doing anything to solve the problem, either.
Are you saying that you are solving the problem by hanging out in bars where it is common to hear racist slurs uttered by whites? In what way did you make the situation better by being there?

 

Nobody has said that racism does not exist among white Americans. That would be crazy talk. But racism is no where near as commonplace among whites as you are claiming. If you see widespread white racism in your daily life, then you are a rare man. If you are white and want to see some racism, roll your windows down and drive through the neighborhoods in south Chicago, West Jackson, or SE Washington, DC. If you think that racism is exclusively a problem among white folks, then park your car and stroll a few blocks along the sidewalks of one of those neighborhoods on foot if you are a white person.

 

IMO, you find much less racism among both whites and blacks in integrated neighborhoods, but racism is at least as common among blacks as it is whites. I get tired of white liberals pretending that is not the case. (And I am not saying that you are a white liberal.)

Almost as if on cue, was at the bar tonight and some guy did the classic, "Are you guys racist?" I didn't say anything, but I knew what was coming next. He goes into a story about getting into a fight with a black guy and it was "n-this and n-that" and "I hate Ns."

 

As I have said a number of times, it's amazing how often that kind of talk comes up amongst white people when no black folks are around.

 

You need to change the people you hang around with or the places you hang around. I have not heard the word live in many years.

An interesting comment I heard about this situation was that if they are going to fine or suspend Riley Cooper then they need to fine or suspend everyone who uses it not just him.

 

That would certainly be something that I think a lot of people would actually support.

Are you saying that you are solving the problem by hanging out in bars where it is common to hear racist slurs uttered by whites? In what way did you make the situation better by being there?

 

Nobody has said that racism does not exist among white Americans. That would be crazy talk. But racism is no where near as commonplace among whites as you are claiming. If you see widespread white racism in your daily life, then you are a rare man. If you are white and want to see some racism, roll your windows down and drive through the neighborhoods in south Chicago, West Jackson, or SE Washington, DC. If you think that racism is exclusively a problem among white folks, then park your car and stroll a few blocks along the sidewalks of one of those neighborhoods on foot if you are a white person.

 

IMO, you find much less racism among both whites and blacks in integrated neighborhoods, but racism is at least as common among blacks as it is whites. I get tired of white liberals pretending that is not the case. (And I am not saying that you are a white liberal.)

 

You need to change the people you hang around with or the places you hang around. I have not heard the word live in many years.

 

As I said, I am a man of the people. And I hear it from all socioeconomic backgrounds. Maybe you guys need to be more observant of the world around you. You can't build up gates to keep out everything you don't like or understand, you must confront it.

 

Please show me where I said they were.

 

 

Perhaps you may be like a lot of other white folks who take the "la-la-la" approach and act like they don't hear it so they don't have to address it? Or maybe they're just using popular code words, and saying the same thing?

 

You can't just accept that the white people he hangs out with aren't racists? You accused him of just ignoring it and pretending he didn't hear words. Or did I read that wrong?

 

That post makes it seem like you believe it's not possible that the people he hangs out with do not say racist words about black people.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.