August 2, 201313 yr Yeah, he says it a lot. White people tend to do that in homogeneous company, from my experiences in the redneck world. Nice of you to make blatant generalizations and assumptions on things you know very little about.
August 2, 201313 yr Nice of you to make blatant generalizations and assumptions on things you know very little about. Did you expect any less.
August 2, 201313 yr I was genuinely concerned that this part of it had passed unnoticed. I'm really struggling to imagine what horrible racial harassment prompted him to say that during a concert amongst what was surely 20,000 of his own kind. Brad Daugherty is about the only black guy I can picture going to see Kenny Chesney. Yeah, he says it a lot. White people tend to do that in homogeneous company, from my experiences in the redneck world. I agree. You don't use it in that connotation and claim, "that's the first time I have ever said it." Whatever, Riley.
August 2, 201313 yr So if there was more to the story does that make it justified? That statement confuses me. More to the story? Who cares if there was more to the story?
August 2, 201313 yr Nothing that could be added to the story would justify it IMO. I know the historical context of the N-word, but does anyone think Cooper or any one using that word today is thinking of the historical meaning of that word. I think that word is used now days more as profanity. What if Cooper had instead have called him a Black SOB instead of the N-word, would he have gotten a pass for that? I don't think he would have once the video came out. Yes it is derogatory towards blacks, but so is the B-word towards women, or calling a guy a MF...has the N-word now become more of a curse word and less of a racial attack due to its use in current culture.
August 2, 201313 yr So if there was more to the story does that make it justified? That statement confuses me. More to the story? Who cares if there was more to the story? I don't recall anyone saying anything justified it. However, if there is more to the story, it could help people understand it a bit more. I personally have a bit of trouble understanding how a guy who has been around a large number of blacks on a daily basis (I think it's a safe assumption that the majority of college and NFL football players are black) would, without any provocation or build up, go on a racial tirade. Take for example: You and your wife are walking down the street, and a guy behind you keeps using a certain 4 letter derogatory word to describe your wife. At some point, you say enough is enough, and lay a beat down on the guy. Some random guy films you beating him. If people just saw the video of you beating the guy, they'd be confused. However, if they were aware of what led up to the beating, while your actions still aren't justified, they'd have a better understanding of why you did what you did.
August 2, 201313 yr I don't recall anyone saying anything justified it. However, if there is more to the story, it could help people understand it a bit more. I personally have a bit of trouble understanding how a guy who has been around a large number of blacks on a daily basis (I think it's a safe assumption that the majority of college and NFL football players are black) would, without any provocation or build up, go on a racial tirade. Take for example: You and your wife are walking down the street, and a guy behind you keeps using a certain 4 letter derogatory word to describe your wife. At some point, you say enough is enough, and lay a beat down on the guy. Some random guy films you beating him. If people just saw the video of you beating the guy, they'd be confused. However, if they were aware of what led up to the beating, while your actions still aren't justified, they'd have a better understanding of why you did what you did. Bad example. I'm not going to make a racial slur 'in the heat of the moment'. Riley Cooper could have used any word at the particular moment and he chose one of the most polarizing words to use and he used it in the connotation that was intended for the word. Sure he's been in a locker room with tons of blacks his whole football career but obviously he has some underlying issues that need to be resolved. We'd all be naive to believe that just because someone is around blacks(and vice versa) that they still aren't racist or have racist tendencies. One of my good friends and former co-workers said that I work with tons of racist co-workers but he never wanted to tell me who they were because it would break my heart. Just because they may treat me differently or with respect doesn't mean they aren't racist or have racist tendencies or use the N-word 'properly' when I am not around. Same goes for Riley Cooper.
August 2, 201313 yr ESPN SportsCenter - Eagles WR Riley Cooper excused from team activities; seeking counseling after using racial slur
August 2, 201313 yr I work for a German company. I don't think I would have a great future if I used the N-word (a different one) around here. We are all accountable for our actions, even the spoken ones, like it or not.
August 2, 201313 yr Richard Pryor dropped the word from his act after taking a trip to Africa in 1979. Current entertainers could learn from that.
August 2, 201313 yr Richard Pryor dropped the word from his act after taking a trip to Africa in 1979. Current entertainers could learn from that. Maybe 89...it seems growing up watching him, he said it very often...unless those were old shows being shown on HBO in the 80's either way, yes current entertainers could learn from him!
August 2, 201313 yr Maybe 89...it seems growing up watching him, he said it very often...unless those were old shows being shown on HBO in the 80's either way, yes current entertainers could learn from him! They may have been old shows. I remember seeing one of his movies (possibly "Live at Sunset Strip") at the theater when he mentioned it...
August 2, 201313 yr Nice of you to make blatant generalizations and assumptions on things you know very little about. Did you expect any less. I'm so glad you guys have walked so many miles in my shoes in my travels across this state to be able to say that I'm making this up. Thanks for being there for me.
August 3, 201313 yr Does anyone know when the Pouncey brothers plan to debut their "Free Cooper" hats? Afterall he was their teammate at Florida as well. They support their teammates who get into trouble. Right?
August 3, 201313 yr I'm so glad you guys have walked so many miles in my shoes in my travels across this state to be able to say that I'm making this up. Thanks for being there for me. Almost as if on cue, was at the bar tonight and some guy did the classic, "Are you guys racist?" I didn't say anything, but I knew what was coming next. He goes into a story about getting into a fight with a black guy and it was "n-this and n-that" and "I hate Ns." As I have said a number of times, it's amazing how often that kind of talk comes up amongst white people when no black folks are around.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.