Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Punishing Cooper for slur complicated

Featured Replies

Cooper was disgraced Wednesday when Internet video surfaced of him telling a black security guard that he would “fight every (n-word) here” while attending a Kenny Chesney concert in Philadelphia in June.

 

Instead of cutting him, the Eagles fined Cooper an undisclosed amount and issued a statement condemning his behavior. Cooper quickly issued an apology after the video surfaced. He expressed the same sentiment to teammates during a Wednesday night meeting.

 

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and its players, the Eagles could have released Cooper under the premise of “conduct detrimental to the team.” Such a move would have relieved Philadelphia of having to pay Cooper his $630,000 salary – not to mention satisfy those who believed such behavior was unforgivable.

 

Philadelphia Eagles options may have been limited in punishing WR Riley Cooper for racial slur - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

  • Replies 123
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

What should be done here? Fine? Cut? Nothing?

 

And what about the double standard with the word in question.

 

I am not defending the guy...

I caught some of Michael Vick's comments, which I thought were beneficial to Cooper. I don't know the timing of when Vick made his statement vs. when the Eagles handed down their punishment, but is it possible that Vick's words saved Cooper from a release?

I can't make a definitive statement as to what I would do. I'd have to know how it would impact the lockerroom OR how it might impact the team's ticket sales/viewership.

 

If neither were going to be a big issue I wouldn't cut him for what he said. I wouldn't cut Vick had he said something the other way either.

 

I can't remember who but a NFL player said today on Cowherd that if he had said it in the lockerroom in a joking manner there would be no issue. Saying it like he did though was offensive, he said.

I don't know what the right thing to do is. If his teammates can't forgive him they have to cut him. Considering the way he used it I don't know if he'll ever recover from this socially. They just said on ESPN that he is standing alone during practice.

I read that he said this is the first time he ever used the slur.

 

What are the odds that the ONLY time he's ever used it was caught on tape?

I read that he said this is the first time he ever used the slur.

 

What are the odds that the ONLY time he's ever used it was caught on tape?

 

Probably pretty rare, although I've also heard that he was being racially harrassed for quite a while before he blew up and his reaction is what was filmed.

 

Either way, it's completely unacceptable, just pointing out there may be more to the story than what we've seen thus far.

Probably pretty rare, although I've also heard that he was being racially harrassed for quite a while before he blew up and his reaction is what was filmed.

 

Either way, it's completely unacceptable, just pointing out there may be more to the story than what we've seen thus far.

This is my issue with these 5 sec gotcha clips. I'm not defending what Cooper said, you should never use that word, but I would really like to know the whole story. Did he just lose it for a sec and that's what we got to see?

That's what I'd like to know...what happened to make this guy go off and say that.

I didn't see the clip, BUT.....

At a concert - How much alcohol is involved?

- other unreported factors?

 

Too much being made of it.

 

Cut the guy?

He's a legit player.

There are an incredible number of athletes playing professional sports that have done much worse than use a poor choice of words in a heated moment.

This is my issue with these 5 sec gotcha clips. I'm not defending what Cooper said, you should never use that word, but I would really like to know the whole story. Did he just lose it for a sec and that's what we got to see?

 

What scenario would change people's perceptio?

I didn't see the clip, BUT.....

At a concert - How much alcohol is involved?

- other unreported factors?

 

Too much being made of it.

 

t.

 

He says he had a lot to drink.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.