August 5, 201313 yr There isn't one single statement that Jim has said that I disagree with when it comes to white and black people. You can switch the roles around and the same things are happening. I hear them and so does Jim. I have white friends who tell me about the awful things that co-workers say when I am not around. I'e heard plenty of black people who can't stand or trust white people. For those of you fortunate enough to never have racism around you in any shape all I can say is that I am jealous.
August 5, 201313 yr And I would say the bolded is most likely inaccurate. When you're dealing with an NFL lockerroom, let's say for argument's sake, Riley Cooper is the only racist on the Eagles. That's 1 of 53 guys. Just under 2% of the total lockerroom population. At a Kenny Chesney concert there's roughly 20,000 people. In order for it to be more prevalent at the concert there would have to be roughly 400+ people making racist comments. I'd say there's really not much of a distinction between the two places. Humor me and pretend there are 53 people at the Chesney concert and 1 of them is black. Sorry for not checking the math when posting my analogy.
August 5, 201313 yr Humor me and pretend there are 53 people at the Chesney concert and 1 of them is black. Sorry for not checking the math when posting my analogy. Huh? I'm not sure what you're even trying to say.
August 5, 201313 yr Nope. I know there are probably tons of blacks at the rap concert that are racist. Only you guys attacking Jim are taking his post to mean EVERY white person there is racist. I take it to mean that a country music concert is more of an environment for a white person to be racist than in their football locker room. Just like a rap concert is a better environment for a black person to be racist than in a boardroom meeting. You know, I really hesitated to post again for fear of seeming like we are ganging up on you PP...and that's really not what I want to do, especially since Jim is the one who started this whole snowball rolling downhill. But I have to say, no one here is "attacking" Jim, at least I don't see it that way. Jim made some statements that are just indefensible, lumped most, if not all people of the Caucasian race into one, and then essentially started name calling when called on it. If this was a horse race you'd be betting on the horse that just pulled up lame around the first turn...not gonna win this one.
August 5, 201313 yr You know, I really hesitated to post again for fear of seeming like we are ganging up on you PP...and that's really not what I want to do, especially since Jim is the one who started this whole snowball rolling downhill. But I have to say, no one here is "attacking" Jim, at least I don't see it that way. Jim made some statements that are just indefensible, lumped most, if not all people of the Caucasian race into one, and then essentially started name calling when called on it. If this was a horse race you'd be betting on the horse that just pulled up lame around the first turn...not gonna win this one. I've seen many more comments insulting to Jim than Jim being insulting to anyone else. And by all means, I expect to get ganged up on every time I post. I ain't scared. If I disagree then I'll disagree and say as much. No biggie. :thumb:
August 5, 201313 yr Huh? I'm not sure what you're even trying to say. You brought math into the discussion. If you need math to make the correlation between a concert and a locker room for my analogy to make sense then I apologize for my analogy being over your head. #sorrynotsorry.
August 5, 201313 yr You brought math into the discussion. If you need math to make the correlation between a concert and a locker room for my analogy to make sense then I apologize for my analogy being over your head. #sorrynotsorry. It wasn't over my head. I said racism is not more prevalent at a country concert than in a lockerroom. My point of introducing math was simply to show that yeah, the total number of racists at a concert might be bigger, but that doesn't mean it's more prevalent. Oh, I forgot.... from my experience....
August 5, 201313 yr There isn't one single statement that Jim has said that I disagree with when it comes to white and black people. You can switch the roles around and the same things are happening. I hear them and so does Jim. I have white friends who tell me about the awful things that co-workers say when I am not around. I'e heard plenty of black people who can't stand or trust white people. For those of you fortunate enough to never have racism around you in any shape all I can say is that I am jealous. But NO BODY is saying that in any of these posts! And to make sure of that, let me say this. I've experienced racism, on both sides. I have said things in my youth and in fits of anger that I am not proud of. As a matter of fact they bothered me so bad that when given the opportunity I usually went back and apologized. I have also been told things to my face that if many on here heard them would probably make your toes curl. Conversations with racial overtones/words/themes? Yep, heard/experienced those too. No virgin here where race relations are involved, to include Black, Hispanic and Asian. Racism exists, and like you and many others have said it goes both ways. Everyone on here (I think) gets that. Sounds like the only difference is many of us don't hang in places or around with the same people that Jim seems to on a regular basis.
August 5, 201313 yr Then he has lived a privileged life to have never been around one single white person who harbors racist feelings. Especially in Kentucky. Assuming he resides in the home state of BGP. I never said anything remotely approaching this. All I said that was that I could not remember the last time that I heard any white person use the "N" word in my presence. Undoubtedly I have encountered many racists in recent years that chose not to share their views with me overtly. It's not that I simply go "lalalala" and put my fingers in my ears as Jim suggested, I do recall racist comments just none recently. In fact, I recall as a teenager attending a family function, I had an uncle (by marriage) make the statement that UK would never win an NCAA title with a black point guard (in his opinion, they just are not smart enough to run a team effectively). I pointed that Phil Ford, who had just won the NBA Rookie of the Year award, might have been the best college point guard of all time. The lesson I learned at that age is that you cannot fix stupid and you cannot even fix ignorance unless a person wants it fixed. That is how it is with racism. You cannot talk people out of it, they have to experience some positive interactions with people of other races and realize the error of their ways. My wife had a young first cousin who had just returned stateside from Iraq and was three days away from being discharged. He and a few friends, one of whom was black, went to a bar one night, and a some drunks from another branch of the service started trying to pick a fight with his black friend. My wife's cousin, whose father never hesitated to let the "n" word fly, jumped in to defend his friend and a fight ensued. He reportedly delivered a good beating to the instigators and he and his friends drove away. A few minutes later, the losers pulled beside of his vehicle and shot him in the head. He died on the scene and nobody was ever prosecuted for the shooting. Her cousin was a white kid from the head of a hollow in a county where the white population was probably 99%+. Through his military service, he learned that his "battle buddies" were not much different than him and the white friends with whom he grew up. So, when Jim makes allegations that I just don't realize that I am surrounded by racism and just don't want to see it, and you do not see his comments as insulting, I suggest that you may need to read the thread a little closer. However, I stand by my statements that if one hears racist comments on a regular basis, then if possible, they should try to change their environment.
August 5, 201313 yr For the record most country concerts I've been to are filled with attractive women in jean skirts and cowgirl hats. I don't even like country music but I go for the beer and women. If they were Klan rallies I wouldn't go. But I get what Jim was trying to say but he worded it poorly. Obviously there are things you will say in front of people you feel comfortable with as opposed to people you don't know. But that is on any subject from race politics to religon . I didn't feel comfortable with painting a majority in KY of a certain ilk as racists . It wasn't a fair comment. But I feel more comfortable saying certain things around my friends that I normally wouldn't say. But I have black and white friends. If people heard our conversations in private it wouldn't come off as PC. But I also know they thing we say or talk about aren't meant for everyone's ears . They wouldn't understand our humor.
August 5, 201313 yr As always people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. It is what it is.
August 5, 201313 yr I never said anything remotely approaching this. All I said that was that I could not remember the last time that I heard any white person use the "N" word in my presence. Undoubtedly I have encountered many racists in recent years that chose not to share their views with me overtly. It's not that I simply go "lalalala" and put my fingers in my ears as Jim suggested, I do recall racist comments just none recently. In fact, I recall as a teenager attending a family function, I had an uncle (by marriage) make the statement that UK would never win an NCAA title with a black point guard (in his opinion, they just are not smart enough to run a team effectively). I pointed that Phil Ford, who had just won the NBA Rookie of the Year award, might have been the best college point guard of all time. The lesson I learned at that age is that you cannot fix stupid and you cannot even fix ignorance unless a person wants it fixed. That is how it is with racism. You cannot talk people out of it, they have to experience some positive interactions with people of other races and realize the error of their ways. My wife had a young first cousin who had just returned stateside from Iraq and was three days away from being discharged. He and a few friends, one of whom was black, went to a bar one night, and a some drunks from another branch of the service started trying to pick a fight with his black friend. My wife's cousin, whose father never hesitated to let the "n" word fly, jumped in to defend his friend and a fight ensued. He reportedly delivered a good beating to the instigators and he and his friends drove away. A few minutes later, the losers pulled beside of his vehicle and shot him in the head. He died on the scene and nobody was ever prosecuted for the shooting. Her cousin was a white kid from the head of a hollow in a county where the white population was probably 99%+. Through his military service, he learned that his "battle buddies" were not much different than him and the white friends with whom he grew up. So, when Jim makes allegations that I just don't realize that I am surrounded by racism and just don't want to see it, and you do not see his comments as insulting, I suggest that you may need to read the thread a little closer. However, I stand by my statements that if one hears racist comments on a regular basis, then if possible, they should try to change their environment. The insults started after Jim's initial post in which he insulted no one. I'll also add that the insults to Jim were done with vigor. Jim didn't come at anyone the way they came at him. I suggest you read the thread a little closer.
August 5, 201313 yr The insults started after Jim's initial post in which he insulted no one. I'll also add that the insults to Jim were done with vigor. Jim didn't come at anyone the way they came at him. I suggest you read the thread a little closer. His initial post was an insult. You don't see it as such because you agree with him. You wanna talk about insults, how about your backhanded comment about the "privileged lives" some people must live? As you said, you see what you want to see, and hear what you want to hear. BTW, this thread has been a lot of fun....
August 5, 201313 yr For the record most country concerts I've been to are filled with attractive women in jean skirts and cowgirl hats. I don't even like country music but I go for the beer and women. If they were Klan rallies I wouldn't go. But I get what Jim was trying to say but he worded it poorly. Obviously there are things you will say in front of people you feel comfortable with as opposed to people you don't know. But that is on any subject from race politics to religon . I didn't feel comfortable with painting a majority in KY of a certain ilk as racists . It wasn't a fair comment. But I feel more comfortable saying certain things around my friends that I normally wouldn't say. But I have black and white friends. If people heard our conversations in private it wouldn't come off as PC. But I also know they thing we say or talk about aren't meant for everyone's ears . They wouldn't understand our humor. I completely agree, you would be hard pressed to find a better selection of eye candy than a country music concert. And I like country music so bonus for me. I have been to numerous country concerts and I can only recall one occasion in which I experienced someone making racist comments. It occurred in Evansville, IN last January at a Luke Bryan show. The guy sitting directly behind me had consumed several beers and was talking almost continuously very loudly. From his conversation it was unclear if he disliked all black people or just one particular Commander in Chief. In addition to being a racist, he also come across as a misogynist. He finally proceeded to spill beer number eight or nine (which was just about full) down my back. At this point I turned around to realize that he was about 6'5" a good 300 lbs. and looked like a skin head. I decided that the proper course of action at this point was to apologize for getting into the way of his beer. :isurrender: Somewhat to his credit he did finally apologize to me about an hour later.
August 5, 201313 yr The insults started after Jim's initial post in which he insulted no one. I'll also add that the insults to Jim were done with vigor. Jim didn't come at anyone the way they came at him. I suggest you read the thread a little closer.I am done with this website, PP. Thanks for the great discussions but liberals still get the kid glove treatment here just as they did when Rockmom booted me a few years ago. My free trial is up anyway and I am not going to pay to play on a field that consistently tilts to the left. Adios.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.