2013 Forcht Bank King of the Bluegrass

Dec. 19-23 at Fairdale High School

Most notable is that two-time defending champion Christ Presbyterian(Tenn.) will not come to defend its title.

Participants:

Ballard

Elizabethtown

Fairdale

Henry Clay

Hopkinsville

Johnson Central

Newport Central Catholic

Perry County Central

PRP

Thomas Nelson

Trinity

Fort Meyers (Fla.)

Memphis Mitchell (Tenn.)

Riverside (La.)

Shaker Heights (Ohio)

Any thoughts on the field?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good field. Fort Myers from my state has a nice team. Not sure they can win it, but they will represent well. Shaker Heights is normally a good program. Riverside might can win it as they are very well-coached and return most everyone from their state title team. I feel Ballard will win it with Trinity making a push as well. Also hate it that Holmes isn't in it. They could make a push to win it as well. CPA the defending champion was originally going to the City of Palms in Fort Myers, but recently had to pull out. I guess that could have been why they weren't returning and then it was probably too late one they pulled out.

CPA lost Lindsey, and there are rumors that they're losing Blackwell. Without Lindsey, they're above average. Without Blackwell, they're a shell of the team last year.

Any idea on why the 2-time champs aren't coming back?

No idea why they aren't playing in the KOB, but they are coming up to Louisville to play a game in the Forcht Bank Showcase at Fairdale a month later. They're scheduled to play Ballard in that event on either Jan. 31 or Feb. 1.

How in the world does a 6-23 Thomas Nelson team get in this tourney. Just curious I thought they invited top teams in regions.

TNHS is a little different. They have a kid coming back who scored 35 or more points a half a dozen times last year -- as an eighth-grader -- who has received recruiting interest from a number of D-I schools, including Michigan St. They have his running mate, a junior in the fall, who has the school single-game scoring record. And the biggie -- they have a 6-7 kid from Somalia by way of Canada coming in for this year, a kid who has garnered a goodly amount of recruiting interest on the AAU trail, despite not being eligible last year.

They can score some points. If they learn how to stop anybody, they should be pretty good. I anticipate them to win the district this year and they have a chance to win the region if all falls right for them. But still, two D-I recruits on the squad is why they're in the KOB.

TNHS is a little different. They have a kid coming back who scored 35 or more points a half a dozen times last year -- as an eighth-grader -- who has received recruiting interest from a number of D-I schools, including Michigan St. They have his running mate, a junior in the fall, who has the school single-game scoring record. And the biggie -- they have a 6-7 kid from Somalia by way of Canada coming in for this year, a kid who has garnered a goodly amount of recruiting interest on the AAU trail, despite not being eligible last year.

They can score some points. If they learn how to stop anybody, they should be pretty good. I anticipate them to win the district this year and they have a chance to win the region if all falls right for them. But still, two D-I recruits on the squad is why they're in the KOB.

Also, last year was their first year as a school, correct? I'm guessing they had very few kids who had played any varsity. I suspect they'll be much better this season.