July 10, 201313 yr I think a charge like that is what they should have pursued in the first place. I think Zimmerman's unnecessary actions were the cause of the whole incident but I don't think he intended for any of it to happen the way it did. I'd have a hard time returning a murder verdict but would have no problem with negligent homicide. Based on the evidence that has been presented I don't think you can convict him of anything unless you go on emotion alone. The fact is once TM attacked GZ it does not matter what GZ did prior to that. Unless he attacked TM, and there is zero evidence that proves that happened.
July 10, 201313 yr Based on the evidence that has been presented I don't think you can convict him of anything unless you go on emotion alone. The fact is once TM attacked GZ it does not matter what GZ did prior to that. Unless he attacked TM, and there is zero evidence that proves that happened. So you can follow someone, who was minding their own business, in a car to the point that they get unnerved and try to hide, then get out to further pursue them and when they confront you about it shoot them and you have no responsibility for their death? Sorry, I just don't think that's right. If Martin was scared by Zimmerman's actions why does he lose the right to defend himself? He may not be convicted but Martin's death is on his head as far as I'm concerned.
July 10, 201313 yr Legal eagles: It's my understanding that GZ has been charged with 2nd degree murder but the jury can convict on a lesser charge. Is that normal?
July 10, 201313 yr Legal eagles: It's my understanding that GZ has been charged with 2nd degree murder but the jury can convict on a lesser charge. Is that normal? I think that varies by state. Some feel that is what the Prosecution is going for. Not sure if that is just a request or how it works.
July 10, 201313 yr Legal eagles: It's my understanding that GZ has been charged with 2nd degree murder but the jury can convict on a lesser charge. Is that normal? They said on TV today that in Florida it is mandatory for the jury to be allowed to consider the next lowest charge during deliberations, in this case Manslaughter is automatically on the table. per Florida law.
July 10, 201313 yr So you can follow someone, who was minding their own business, in a car to the point that they get unnerved and try to hide, then get out to further pursue them and when they confront you about it shoot them and you have no responsibility for their death? Sorry, I just don't think that's right. If Martin was scared by Zimmerman's actions why does he lose the right to defend himself? He may not be convicted but Martin's death is on his head as far as I'm concerned. But he didn't just confront him, he assaulted GZ. And if Martin was that scared why didn't he just run home? Why go confront GZ when he was on his way back to his car?
July 10, 201313 yr But he didn't just confront him, he assaulted GZ. And if Martin was that scared why didn't he just run home? Why go confront GZ when he was on his way back to his car? I agree GZ had lost contact and was going back to his car when TM made the decision to confront him and followed him. TM was yards from his dad's home and could have went home.
July 10, 201313 yr But he didn't just confront him, he assaulted GZ. And if Martin was that scared why didn't he just run home? Why go confront GZ when he was on his way back to his car? According to the Stand Your Ground law he was under no obligation to run. I think that's what a lot of people are missing. He had every bit as much right to stand up and defend himself as Zimmerman did. We're only getting Zimmerman's side of things. We don't know if Martin jumped Zimmerman or if he asked him why he was following him and he saw Zimmerman reach for the gun and he reacted to that. We don't really know if Martin could have gotten home from where he was or not. For all we know he felt trapped. We'll never know because Zimmerman killed Martin and he can't testify. It is just hard for me to absolve Zimmerman of all responsibility when he had not seen Martin break any laws, was sitting securely in his car and decided to disregard instructions from the police and pursue Martin. He had no reason to do that. If he stays in his car then Martin is alive today. If Martin had been causing a disturbance or trying to kick in a door or something I would feel differently but he wasn't. He was simply walking home and we'll never know exactly how frightened he was. I view this no differently than I do someone that instigates a bar fight and ends up killing someone. Their actions led to the confrontation and they should bear some responsibility. He may not be guilty of murder in the eyes of the law but his actions led to the death of a person who was just trying to walk home. He shouldn't get out of this scot free.
July 10, 201313 yr According to the Stand Your Ground law he was under no obligation to run. I think that's what a lot of people are missing. He had every bit as much right to stand up and defend himself as Zimmerman did. We're only getting Zimmerman's side of things. We don't know if Martin jumped Zimmerman or if he asked him why he was following him and he saw Zimmerman reach for the gun and he reacted to that. We don't really know if Martin could have gotten home from where he was or not. For all we know he felt trapped. We'll never know because Zimmerman killed Martin and he can't testify. It is just hard for me to absolve Zimmerman of all responsibility when he had not seen Martin break any laws, was sitting securely in his car and decided to disregard instructions from the police and pursue Martin. He had no reason to do that. If he stays in his car then Martin is alive today. If Martin had been causing a disturbance or trying to kick in a door or something I would feel differently but he wasn't. He was simply walking home and we'll never know exactly how frightened he was. I view this no differently than I do someone that instigates a bar fight and ends up killing someone. Their actions led to the confrontation and they should bear some responsibility. He may not be guilty of murder in the eyes of the law but his actions led to the death of a person who was just trying to walk home. He shouldn't get out of this scot free. I think its been said over and over that it was suggested he not follow Martin by a dispatcher, not a police officer. It's also been said that it doesn't matter because that doesn't mean he's guilty of any crimes. And we don't know where he was when it was suggested that he not follow Martin, yet you assume he was still sitting in his truck.
July 10, 201313 yr I think its been said over and over that it was suggested he not follow Martin by a dispatcher, not a police officer. It's also been said that it doesn't matter because that doesn't mean he's guilty of any crimes. And we don't know where he was when it was suggested that he not follow Martin, yet you assume he was still sitting in his truck. I don't care if it was a dispatcher or an officer. I'm not talking about a legal obligation to follow her instructions, I'm talking about common sense. Again, I'm not saying he's guilty of murder by the letter of the law or that he should be guilty of murder. Let me ask you a couple of questions. What legitimate reason did Zimmerman have for pursuing Martin? (and you can say all you want he wasn't pursuing him but he clearly followed him in his car and he didn't get out of the car to check the tires) Would Martin have been shot if Zimmerman didn't pursue him? If you answer those questions objectively I don't see how you can think that Zimmerman's actions did not contribute mightily to the events that followed. Do you feel as though Zimmerman is totally blameless and should not suffer any repercussions from this incident?
July 10, 201313 yr I don't care if it was a dispatcher or an officer. I'm not talking about a legal obligation to follow her instructions, I'm talking about common sense. Again, I'm not saying he's guilty of murder by the letter of the law or that he should be guilty of murder. Let me ask you a couple of questions. What legitimate reason did Zimmerman have for pursuing Martin? (and you can say all you want he wasn't pursuing him but he clearly followed him in his car and he didn't get out of the car to check the tires) Would Martin have been shot if Zimmerman didn't pursue him? If you answer those questions objectively I don't see how you can think that Zimmerman's actions did not contribute mightily to the events that followed. Do you feel as though Zimmerman is totally blameless and should not suffer any repercussions from this incident? I agree he isn't completely blameless, just not sure that he broke a law (or at least a law that can be proven).
July 10, 201313 yr It appears as if the defense attorneys and GZ differ on GZ testifying. When the judge asked him if he wanted to testify he said he needed more time. It was obvious his attorneys disagreed. WOW. State would be thrilled to have GZ on the stand. Judge and defense were quite testy with each other.
July 10, 201313 yr According to the Stand Your Ground law he was under no obligation to run. I think that's what a lot of people are missing. He had every bit as much right to stand up and defend himself as Zimmerman did. We're only getting Zimmerman's side of things. We don't know if Martin jumped Zimmerman or if he asked him why he was following him and he saw Zimmerman reach for the gun and he reacted to that. We don't really know if Martin could have gotten home from where he was or not. For all we know he felt trapped. We'll never know because Zimmerman killed Martin and he can't testify. It is just hard for me to absolve Zimmerman of all responsibility when he had not seen Martin break any laws, was sitting securely in his car and decided to disregard instructions from the police and pursue Martin. He had no reason to do that. If he stays in his car then Martin is alive today. If Martin had been causing a disturbance or trying to kick in a door or something I would feel differently but he wasn't. He was simply walking home and we'll never know exactly how frightened he was. I view this no differently than I do someone that instigates a bar fight and ends up killing someone. Their actions led to the confrontation and they should bear some responsibility. He may not be guilty of murder in the eyes of the law but his actions led to the death of a person who was just trying to walk home. He shouldn't get out of this scot free.Your right he didn't have obligation to run. He instead choose to make it physical and it got him killed. Following someone isn't against the law. If you feel threatened by them following you then either run or confront them. However confronting them does not mean run up and start pounding on them. It's a free country and GZ has every right to question why a stranger is in his neighborhood, especially when there's been some break ins. I will say it again, based on the evidence we have GZ is not guilty of a crime.
July 10, 201313 yr I don't care if it was a dispatcher or an officer. I'm not talking about a legal obligation to follow her instructions, I'm talking about common sense. Again, I'm not saying he's guilty of murder by the letter of the law or that he should be guilty of murder. Let me ask you a couple of questions. What legitimate reason did Zimmerman have for pursuing Martin? (and you can say all you want he wasn't pursuing him but he clearly followed him in his car and he didn't get out of the car to check the tires) Would Martin have been shot if Zimmerman didn't pursue him? If you answer those questions objectively I don't see how you can think that Zimmerman's actions did not contribute mightily to the events that followed. Do you feel as though Zimmerman is totally blameless and should not suffer any repercussions from this incident? Because there had been break ins recently and it was someone that he was suspicious of. No, he wouldn't have been shot by Martin had Martin stayed in his car. Doesn't matter. He also wouldn't have been shot had he not attack GZ. Criminally, based on the evidence that has been presented, yes I think GZ is innocent of any crime.
July 10, 201313 yr I will say it again, based on the evidence we have GZ is not guilty of a crime. He may not be guilty of 2nd degree murder but that doesn't mean he is not guilty of a lesser charge.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.