May 15, 201313 yr I was very hopeful that Wiggins would pull the trigger for UK, but it was all guesswork. It is a good spot for him, in Lawrence. They lost every starter and have a few decent reserves returning, but have a really good class coming in. I am not so sure Wiggins shied away from the spotlight, because Kansas fans are pretty darn fervent bout their hoops. The host mom was not a UK fan and even said, "Thank god he didn't go to UK" afterwards. Its a three hour drive from Lawrence to Whicita for the two brothers and makes it easier on the parents to see both. Self has had some success with some one and done players, including Xavier Henry (I think that is the last name...drawing a blank), Josh Selby and Ben McElmore. The last two have had a bit of a cloud hanging over their heads though. I wish nothing but the best for the kid. Even with McLemore you could make the argument that he wasn't used the wrong way. Either way Wigs gets to play for a power school with a proven coach. He didn't go to UNC so I have no gripes.
May 15, 201313 yr They will. Which is why it is a mistake for him to go there. Doesn't matter though. This one year in his life will be meaningless. Even more so now that he's a Jayhawk. Really? Kansas will suck? They are one of the most consistent programs in the nation and they will suck! Come on. Wiggins made a great choice by going to Kansas. He should be the "top dog" and will enjoy his one year of college. Winning a national championship doesn't matter because that won't put any more money in his wallet. Isn't the NBA what they are playing for? Seriously, none of the one and dones are playing for the love of the university. Good luck Andrew. Kansas will be a contender and I'd love to see them knock out UK.
May 15, 201313 yr Well I was trying to get this notion going last season with UCLA, but it is clear looking back it was a horrible comparison. But now I will go ahead and try the same theory next season with Self and Kansas. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, I just want to see if anybody else in college basketball can do it like Cal with young talent. I thought last years UCLA crop was a decent sample size, but with the below par class and horrible fit of puzzle pieces it wasn't a good example to compare with Cal. This Kansas squad however is, talented class with 3 top 15 guys, two top 10 guys and five or six top 40-50 guys. This is very similar to some of the classes Cal has been able to bring in and have major success with (when they say it can't be done). They will have the best player, arguably the best center prospect, and another versatile explosive scoring wing in Selden. They have the pieces that should fit, so now we get to see what Self can do with it. So far Cal has showed that he is in his own universe in terms of exchanging teams year in year out and still having success. Let's see how Self looks with his stab at it.
May 15, 201313 yr For the record, I can't say this was a horrible decision for Andrew. I wanted him in Kentucky blue more than anything (way too greedy I know), but he will still have a chance to compete and prove himself. If they can get things clicked, KU could still be very good next season, something I did not think was possible with what they lost. Selden and Embiid are two great running mates so if they can find a PG in either Tharpe or Frankamp, may be scary towards March. They will have some shooters on the team, and Ellis should be a pretty nice option with Embiid being able to cover any defensive mismatches that he may have on the blocks or on the boards. At Kentucky he passed up an opportunity to create the best college basketball team ever assembled, and a chance to go down in history as one of the best of all time. But at the end of the day I guess he liked the Kansas challenge more than the UK 40-0 challenge. At UK he would have had to bought in and learned to share with the other guys (something that already may be a problem with such a loaded team) and not touch the ball as much as he is used to. Now he can dominate the ball if he wants, but still have guys who can play around him. He can still compete for a title, he can still play in a big environment. I guess at the end of the day it just works for him.
May 15, 201313 yr Wouldn't it be great if today Wiggins pulls a Terrance Jones and commits to UK? Would love it, but I guess we could all dream. I didn't watch the announcement video but seems like he may have already signed his paperwork, unline Terrence Jones.
May 15, 201313 yr Wouldn't it be great if today Wiggins pulls a Terrance Jones and commits to UK? Yah I hope no one gets their hopes up for that :lol2:
May 15, 201313 yr Really? Kansas will suck? They are one of the most consistent programs in the nation and they will suck! Come on. Wiggins made a great choice by going to Kansas. He should be the "top dog" and will enjoy his one year of college. Winning a national championship doesn't matter because that won't put any more money in his wallet. Isn't the NBA what they are playing for? Seriously, none of the one and dones are playing for the love of the university. Good luck Andrew. Kansas will be a contender and I'd love to see them knock out UK. You make a great point. How foolish of me. Kansas won't suck. They'll be in the top 5-10 most of the year. They'll lose a game or two on the road that they shouldn't lose. Maybe Iowa State and Texas Tech. Probably win the Big 12 tournament or lose in the finals. Get no worse than a 3 seed and then lose in the first round of the Sweet Sixteen or in the round of 32. Good point. They won't suck. They'll honor that Jayhawk tradition.
May 15, 201313 yr Let's see, Fulford was shocked and the Kansas coaches didn't know. Yet, Wireman knew 2 days ago because the head coach at Kansas declined a transfer because he knew he had Wiggins in the bag. So why did Self let Wireman in on the decision but didn't share the info with Fulford or his assistants? After reading everything today I think Wiggins made the right decision. If he was turned off by that video he would have been miserable at UK. Plus, from what I understand he ruled UK out when Randel committed which tells me he really wanted to be the big dog. I knew also. Wiggins sent me a DM a week ago actually but he told me that if I told anyone then he wouldn't tell me if he's going to go pro next year so I kept my mouth shut.
May 15, 201313 yr For the record, I can't say this was a horrible decision for Andrew. I wanted him in Kentucky blue more than anything (way too greedy I know), but he will still have a chance to compete and prove himself. If they can get things clicked, KU could still be very good next season, something I did not think was possible with what they lost. Selden and Embiid are two great running mates so if they can find a PG in either Tharpe or Frankamp, may be scary towards March. They will have some shooters on the team, and Ellis should be a pretty nice option with Embiid being able to cover any defensive mismatches that he may have on the blocks or on the boards. At Kentucky he passed up an opportunity to create the best college basketball team ever assembled, and a chance to go down in history as one of the best of all time. But at the end of the day I guess he liked the Kansas challenge more than the UK 40-0 challenge. At UK he would have had to bought in and learned to share with the other guys (something that already may be a problem with such a loaded team) and not touch the ball as much as he is used to. Now he can dominate the ball if he wants, but still have guys who can play around him. He can still compete for a title, he can still play in a big environment. I guess at the end of the day it just works for him. This.
May 16, 201313 yr For the record Matt Jones spoke to someone unnamed and that person said last week it was Kansas. Of course he did. :lol2:
May 16, 201313 yr Isn't the NBA what they are playing for? Seriously, none of the one and dones are playing for the love of the university. Glad somebody said this, I agree 100%.
May 16, 201313 yr Glad somebody said this, I agree 100%.I respectfully disagree. Sure a lot of them are that way, but a big chunk of them never forget their college experience or what it was about. Just for UK alone in the past few years multiple guys come back for camps and give back to the University in some capacity. Guys like Nerlens Noel are making the most of their time in college.
May 16, 201313 yr I respectfully disagree. Sure a lot of them are that way, but a big chunk of them never forget their college experience or what it was about. Just for UK alone in the past few years multiple guys come back for camps and give back to the University in some capacity. Guys like Nerlens Noel are making the most of their time in college. That's right. Guys like Wall, Cousins, Davis, MKG, etc. have already came back to campus multiple times for one reason or another. It's not like they just said see you later Lexington and never looked back, they come back around all the time in the summer for camps and what not.
May 16, 201313 yr I respectfully disagree. Sure a lot of them are that way, but a big chunk of them never forget their college experience or what it was about. Just for UK alone in the past few years multiple guys come back for camps and give back to the University in some capacity. Guys like Nerlens Noel are making the most of their time in college. I would say that the vast majority of them initially arrive at UK because of Cal & his penchant to get kids to the pros quickly. But of that group, there is a significant portion of them who end up loving the University. Not all of them, but some. Boogie, MKG & Nerlens seem to be the three at the top of that list IMO.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.