April 1, 201313 yr I would maybe put Duke basketball in the category, if it wasn't for Coach K's comments to Cawood Ledford after the Laitner shot. Doesn't get any classier than that.
April 1, 201313 yr Can you root for "a" rival? Sure. I've pulled for Xavier before. I have huge admiration for X and wish Dayton's program was run as effectively. It's going to be even easier now that the rivalry's finally been killed by realignment. Can you root for your most hated rival? I can't. I don't pull for UK, Cincinnati or Memphis. I won't say it's never happened or won't happen in the future, but it's not likely. I did pull for UK on occasion when Tubby was there. Calipari taking over made it really easy for that to stop. Edited April 1, 201313 yr by Getslow
April 1, 201313 yr Nope. I feel sorry for what Louisville had to go through, but I want them to get beat in the Final Four. If it was someone I knew I could make an exception but I don't know anyone on Louisville other than one of their managers.
April 1, 201313 yr You can't root for a hated rival, no. That doesn't mean everyone in a fanbase will feel the same way. Some UK fans would consider Louisville a hated rival, so I would not expect them to root for them. I personally don't feel that way about Louisville, so I can root for them. I would not, however, ever root for Indiana. Or Florida (but that crosses sports).
April 1, 201313 yr What if that hated rival is playing another hated rival? Like yesterday. UK fan but it doesn't bother me if UL wins it all.
April 1, 201313 yr I think it all depends on geography. From what I can tell those UK fans that live around the Louisville area, and in some cases NKY and the Bluegrass all usually have a pretty bad taste for Louisville. However, here in EKY I know quite a few people who are actually hoping they win (UK fans). Here it is not out of the realm of possibility to have just as strong of hatrid against Tennessee or in some cases Duke. I realize UK/Duke isn't a rivalry, but it still doesn't mean you can't hate them. I am as big of a UK fan as it gets, although some would question that for me wanting UL to win the NC. In my opinion, even though I don't like UL 95% of the time, with Kentucky out I'm going with the other state school. A win for Louisville is still good for the state, and IMO it's even better for the rivalry. If Kentucky was still in the tourney it would be a different story, but they're not. I'd rather see Louisville win as to anyone at this point (although none of the other Final 4 teams would kill me). When both teams are relevant college basketball is a lot better, and after next years Kentucky team the epicenter for basketball may well move from tobacco road to the Kentuckyana triangle.
April 1, 201313 yr I normally ask myself what is best for my team that I cheer for? Does UL winning it all make UK better or elevate their status? Yesterday the threat of Duke inching closer to UK in national titles should make UK fans uneasy. However UL bringing home the crown (finally ) gives them some legit bragging rights in basketball they have sought after for a while. That should not make any UK fan feel well either. Each case is different so I do find scenarios by which I can root for UL. I am not one of those fans that says, "I always cheer for UL if they are not playing UK." What is the fun in that? From here forward I will honestly probably root for UL to lose, but not that adamant about it and in some small place will be happy for Cardinal nation if they do win next weekend. Though since I have no true interest in the Final Four, for once I want my preseason prediction in college athletics be correct :lol2:
April 1, 201313 yr I normally ask myself what is best for my team that I cheer for? Does UL winning it all make UK better or elevate their status? Yesterday the threat of Duke inching closer to UK in national titles should make UK fans uneasy. However UL bringing home the crown (finally ) gives them some legit bragging rights in basketball they have sought after for a while. That should not make any UK fan feel well either. Although I agree to an extent, the way I see it UL fans are going to run their mouths regardless. They still talk trash off of their titles won in the 80's, now at least they will have a legit reason to run their mouths. I would much rather trade 3 for UL as opposed to 5 for Duke. Cards fans may get bragging rights for this year, but Kentucky made their claim last year and will always be more relevant than UL (regardless of what UL fans will try to tell you). When Kentucky is back on top next year it won't matter, will only help the rivalry. If both teams are competing for championships year in year out that is cool with me, just makes the rivalry more special. But I guess when you look at hatrid in a rivalry and what causes you not to like the other team it boils down to what I said in my first post, geography. I'm sure if I was around a ton of UL fans day in day out with them talking trash non stop, I'd probably have a different opinion. Fans of teams are what usually causes fans from other teams to dislike the other Again I can clearly see why there is such hatrid in the rivalry around the Louisville area. However, In the settings that I have grown up in, there was never that much hatrid towards them although they were always the rival.
April 1, 201313 yr When you see 'rivalry' as an excuse to attempt to destroy someones business and livelihood you get a little jaded on the 'hated rivalry' thing. Many take it way too personal and way too seriously.
April 1, 201313 yr Of course you can. I've got a handful of very good friends that are UofL grads. When Kentucky missed the tournament, I told them I wanted UofL to win it. They were cheering for UK to win it after they eliminated UofL last year, so I have no trouble returning the favor.
April 1, 201313 yr If you call yourself a UK fan how can be cheering on UL? Just doesn't make sense. How many Sox fans you know that would cheer for the Yanks, or Bama fans that would cheer on Aubrun?? I just don't agree with the school of thought that "keep it in the Bluegrass".
April 1, 201313 yr Can you root for "a" rival? Sure. I've pulled for Xavier before. I have huge admiration for X and wish Dayton's program was run as effectively. It's going to be even easier now that the rivalry's finally been killed by realignment. Can you root for your most hated rival? I can't. I don't pull for UK, Cincinnati or Memphis. I won't say it's never happened or won't happen in the future, but it's not likely. I did pull for UK on occasion when Tubby was there. Calipari taking over made it really easy for that to stop. Is it possible to hate a coach and not hate the team he coaches? When Pitino took the U of L job a lot of UK fans hated Pitino and still do.My opinion is that the man can coach, and after seeing the tears run down his face yesterday, the man has a huge heart. I'm a UK fan but don't hate any programs or coaches. Duke is my most disliked team.
April 1, 201313 yr If you call yourself a UK fan how can be cheering on UL? Just doesn't make sense. How many Sox fans you know that would cheer for the Yanks, or Bama fans that would cheer on Aubrun?? I just don't agree with the school of thought that "keep it in the Bluegrass". Because it's sports, and we don't take it too seriously??? :idunno:
April 1, 201313 yr Hoosierbirdfan... Don't know what triggered my massive dislike for Calipari. Truthfully, it probably started when I was pulling for UK in 1996 and Cal was on the bench at UMass. Then he got lumped in with my dislike of Memphis through Louisville's C-USA years. I flat-out reviled the man for a long time... really wished John Chaney would've landed some punches during that press conference. I've cooled on a lot of that nonsense as I've gotten older.
April 1, 201313 yr In my very humble opinion, a rivalry comes down to how mature the people involved are. Some are able to realize it's just a game, a game they aren't playing in themselves. Others aren't. Just the way it is. If Louisville is out of contention, I have no problem rooting for UK, just like I did last year. A few years ago, I absolutely wouldn't have done that. But now I realize, it's really not that serious.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.