April 1, 201313 yr ^ I'm with you. When you're a kid and in school in Louisville, UK kids and UofL kids are ALWAYS jawing with each other. It creates a tension that doesn't go away for a while. You enjoy when the other team loses because it gives you something else to jaw about to your friends in the cafeteria who like the other guys. I don't mind telling you that wearing red around after that 1996 title was pretty awful and really soured me on UK for a long time. Then you get older and realize that your fandom isn't based on who's better that year or the ridiculous premise that one team's fans are awful and the others aren't but because you grew up loving to go to the games or had great times earning your degree from that place. I'm not a Louisville fan because they're so great at sports -- even though they are -- I'm a Louisville fan because my dad took me to sit in the bleacher seats at Old Cardinal Stadium; because there's a picture of me at my grandparents' house sitting next to Howard Schnellenberger talking to him about the team as a little kid; because when I was young, I'd never heard a sound like the one Freedom Hall made after a Louisvilld dunk. When you remember why you're a fan in the first place, all that other garbage just goes away.
April 1, 201313 yr I grew up in Frankfort, where there were MAYBE 10 other Louisville fans in the whole town at the time... You knew who all the Louisville fans were.
April 1, 201313 yr Because it's sports, and we don't take it too seriously??? :idunno: What he said...
April 1, 201313 yr From the UL thread - figured it deserves its own thread. My contention is simple. If you consider Team A to be your "heated/hated rival" then you cannot pull for them EVER. If you do then they do not meet the definition of hated rival. Who's with me? Only "hated rival" I've ever had since I was old enough to know what one was is the Yankees. I can't envision a circumstance where I'd root for them.
April 1, 201313 yr Now that I don't live in Louisville I "kind of" am ok with Louisville having success. But that's more of a "in my home state" kind of thing (and having went to school there). If the Ohio River was a few miles south I would NEVER pull for UL (and most likely would have never lived there). I take a lot of pride in being a Kentuckian but living in Louisville with UL having more success than UK would have been unbearable...
April 1, 201313 yr Because it's sports, and we don't take it too seriously??? :idunno: Hahaha don't kid yourself. Plus, I believe that the language used was heated rivalry.
April 1, 201313 yr Fine. Let me add "unless it helps your team." So I guess we've come to the conclusion that the answer is Yes. :sssh::lol2:
April 1, 201313 yr The UL UK rivalry is unique because its two teams in separate conferences. Most rivalries are within conference. People compare the UK UL rivalry with Bama and Auburn. 2 completely different things. Bama has to go through Auburn every year to win a championship. Where in UK UL if either one lose to each other it won't affect the conference standing. That's why I don't mind UL winning. They in the grand scheme of everything have little impact on UK. As a UK fan I can never have UT win in anything because they have a bigger impact as a whole. I will say this though. Do I want UL to win? No. If they win will I be disappointed? No, because I don't really care. Winning it all is great for the state, if they lose its great for UK. Kind of a win win if you ask me.
April 1, 201313 yr I will not root for Bowling Green High, sorry PurplePride92. If I know anyone who has kids attending there in the near future, I will only cheer for their kids (if I do go to watch) and will not for the team. My feelings for BGHS run deep, very deep. Maybe as deep as Dragonfire's, maybe deeper. I am around their alum a lot during work, so I see the car stickers, the apparel, etc. Makes me sick.
April 1, 201313 yr If you call yourself a UK fan how can be cheering on UL? Just doesn't make sense. How many Sox fans you know that would cheer for the Yanks, or Bama fans that would cheer on Aubrun?? I just don't agree with the school of thought that "keep it in the Bluegrass". Me either. It is actually worse with Pitino there. The Auburn tree-poisioner would be offended at some in Big Blue Nation. Nothing wrong with being a good sport though I guess. I can't do it. The only time I can is if two programs play each other like U of L and Florida in the Sugar Bowl this year. First, hopefully the only and last time I ever root for Florida.
April 1, 201313 yr Sometimes a teams fans will turn me against them. So I may be against them winning. Not because of the players/team itself, but because of some fans. Like
April 1, 201313 yr I could not and will not ever root for UK no matter who they play. At a young age, all the UK fanatics turned me off to UK. I got so sick of hearing about the great UK. They were always telling everyone about all their successes, bragging about their accomplishments and putting down other programs (still hear the same thing today from the UK fans). I got sick of hearing it and turned the other direction. I know UK's history and I don't need UK fans telling me how great they are and how great they will be. It's only a game and the sun will rise tomorrow. Go Cards and Go Devils!
April 1, 201313 yr I could not and will not ever root for UK no matter who they play. At a young age, all the UK fanatics turned me off to UK. I got so sick of hearing about the great UK. They were always telling everyone about all their successes, bragging about their accomplishments and putting down other programs (still hear the same thing today from the UK fans). I got sick of hearing it and turned the other direction. I know UK's history and I don't need UK fans telling me how great they are and how great they will be. It's only a game and the sun will rise tomorrow. Go Cards and Go Devils! After reading your post over the last few weeks I'm shocked to read you're not a UK fan. :lol2::lol2:
April 1, 201313 yr After reading your post over the last few weeks I'm shocked to read you're not a UK fan. :lol2::lol2: And now you know why!!!!!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.