April 1, 201313 yr I will not root for Bowling Green High, sorry PurplePride92. If I know anyone who has kids attending there in the near future, I will only cheer for their kids (if I do go to watch) and will not for the team. My feelings for BGHS run deep, very deep. Maybe as deep as Dragonfire's, maybe deeper. I am around their alum a lot during work, so I see the car stickers, the apparel, etc. Makes me sick. Go Purples...:banana: I grew up in Springhill Subdivision.Half of the neighborhood is B.G. district the other half is Warren Central district.I lived two doors down from the Springhill DMZ...Back in the day those kids did not like us and we did not like them.I did have alot of friends that went to Warren Central,just not the ones that lived in my neighborhood.
April 1, 201313 yr Notre Dame is a team I have disliked almost my entire life. A big part of that is the media over hype. When they got that TV contract from NBC many years ago, it was too much for me to take. Yet, I rooted for them when Gerry Faust became the coach. Karma. :lol2: Now, with Kelly as head coach I dislike them more than ever ... I am irritated that he is having success and I am scared to death that he will win a title there. :rage: But, to answer the thread's question, yes I have rooted for them.
April 2, 201313 yr And yet you've become what you hated so much. Typical UK fan response. You have no clue, no clue at all!!!!
April 2, 201313 yr Typical UK fan response. You have no clue, no clue at all!!!! I have a great clue what you're like by your post. If you read my post you'll see I'm not the type of UK fan that you hate, but you act like the UK fans most people hate with your immature post.
April 2, 201313 yr I have a great clue what you're like by your post. If you read my post you'll see I'm not the type of UK fan that you hate, but you act like the UK fans most people hate with your immature post. Now your taking it to a personal level and bashing me because I express my opinions that you don't agree with. Who's being immature?
April 2, 201313 yr Now your taking it to a personal level and bashing me because I express my opinions that you don't agree with. Who's being immature? I'm taking it to a personal level? I'm not the one who told another they didn't have a clue. What opinions of yours have I bashed? I agreed with you that some UK fans can be intolerable, but some of your post you act just like those type of UK fans that you hate.
April 2, 201313 yr Is this thread over yet? Bottom line is that all schools have fans that are intolerable. Anyone been to a little league ball game? Those intolerable fans are there too, I umpired little league baseball. All over the country fans are horrible, like the guys that beat up a man for wearing an LA baseball cap. Everybody is different, it's life, get over it. It's kind of like Michael Jackson, nobody claims to have liked him or his music, so who bought the 300 billion albums that he sold ? I'm sure their are many UK fans pulling for U of L weather they want to admit it, or not.
April 2, 201313 yr From the UL thread - figured it deserves its own thread. My contention is simple. If you consider Team A to be your "heated/hated rival" then you cannot pull for them EVER. If you do then they do not meet the definition of hated rival. Who's with me? One possible exception would be if hated rival "Team A" were going to play another team and if a win by Team A in that one game helped my team win a conference regular season championship/put my team at a higher seed then I "might" try to pull for them, still would be hard to do. Speaking of the UL game/K. Ware injury.......I obviously like everyone else hated that it happened, was sickened when I saw it and prayed for the young man, coaches, teammates and family. That was for his recovery, comfort and to help the coaches and teammates deal with the injury, not for UL to win. As a U.K. fan my personel arch rivals are Louisville, Tennessee and Indiana and I would probably pull for the Taliban before I did them. Edited April 2, 201313 yr by oldrambler
April 2, 201313 yr I could not and will not ever root for UK no matter who they play. At a young age, all the UK fanatics turned me off to UK. I got so sick of hearing about the great UK. They were always telling everyone about all their successes, bragging about their accomplishments and putting down other programs (still hear the same thing today from the UK fans). I got sick of hearing it and turned the other direction. I know UK's history and I don't need UK fans telling me how great they are and how great they will be. It's only a game and the sun will rise tomorrow. Go Cards and Go Devils! About the bold in your post, you say that you can't stand some (if not all by your post) U.K. fans bc they brag on their team, tradition, wins, how great they are, etc... I think that all fans of their team brag on that teams accomplishments. They are proud of their team, that's what fans do.....hello!! I would think that you are proud of your UL team and should be and have every right to say it. I personally have some fun on here exchanging "jabs" with fans of other teams in several sports and forums. I don't get mad, think the other fan is sickening or anything like that and I certainly don't think that the other fan is that way (except maybe you :lol2:). What I am saying is that it seems that you are one acting like "the sun will not rise tomorrow" over others posts. So, as a U.K. Big Blue Nation resident I say enjoy your team and their success, they deserve to be where they are. So.......GO BIG BLUE !! and this Saturday Go Wichita State Shockers:popcorn:
April 2, 201313 yr How deep are the feelings? I was introducing myself to a very mature-age lawyer at a neighbor's party. The neighbor was a serious UK fan but we always got along (hence why were still invited). As I was about to shake hands with this other die-hard UK fan guest my neighbor helps the introduction along and says - "this is our neighborhood UofL fan". The handshake was abruptly terminated. Picture Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. My wife has been yelled at and given the bird - by adults - while just driving with a UofL license plate in Lexington. Kids being stupid - ok, adults though? I did not realize how serious people take this rivalry till then. Pitino going to UofL brought out a lot of surprising behavior of adults. They took out their feelings on Pitino's friend's business. He had stayed in Lexington after moving here when Pitino coached Kentucky. And its not one-sided. My brother can not understand how we 'let' our son decorate his room in UK colors and logos. He thinks its a travesty. You do not have to 'support' the other team, just do not be an idiot.
April 2, 201313 yr I think there is a difference between "rooting for a rival" and not caring. If UL wins it this year, so be it, UK will be back next year. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I won't cheer for them though.
April 2, 201313 yr In short, I think most feel there are some circumstances by which you can root for a rival.
April 2, 201313 yr Author How deep are the feelings? I was introducing myself to a very mature-age lawyer at a neighbor's party. The neighbor was a serious UK fan but we always got along (hence why were still invited). As I was about to shake hands with this other die-hard UK fan guest my neighbor helps the introduction along and says - "this is our neighborhood UofL fan". The handshake was abruptly terminated. Picture Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. My wife has been yelled at and given the bird - by adults - while just driving with a UofL license plate in Lexington. Kids being stupid - ok, adults though? I did not realize how serious people take this rivalry till then. Pitino going to UofL brought out a lot of surprising behavior of adults. They took out their feelings on Pitino's friend's business. He had stayed in Lexington after moving here when Pitino coached Kentucky. And its not one-sided. My brother can not understand how we 'let' our son decorate his room in UK colors and logos. He thinks its a travesty. You do not have to 'support' the other team, just do not be an idiot. There's a difference between not rooting for your rival and not liking a person or not being cordial to a person because they support your rival. Those folks are embarrassing.
April 2, 201313 yr There's a difference between not rooting for your rival and not liking a person or not being cordial to a person because they support your rival. Those folks are embarrassing. Yes. Being embedded in 'enemy territory' you see all sides. Its funny how its the adults and older people that can be worse that current or recent students. After the 1986 UofL win Two Keys had no issue with some Cardinal celebration right next to UK campus. Here is one from the other side. Neighbor went to UofL-UK game at Papa-Johns. Being decked out in blue in a mostly red section some idiot decided to keep saying 'This is our house!' over and over again AT him and his family. His wife told him to just ignore the trouble-maker but he finally had enough and turned and said 'I know this is not your house because its not up on cider blocks.'. Even the UofL fans appreciated him shutting up the loud-mouth. There are some on both sides...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.