Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mike Flynn Resigns From Highlands

Featured Replies

  • Author
Since Feldman currently teaches in the district; he might have an interest but was passed over once before. I like Mike Listerman but who knows if they want to go in that direction. I hope they look carefully and get somebody who is energetic and can relate to the kids. Dale and JB and Coach Richey have had success because kids want to be a part of the program. I like the young Ryan Bowman who might do very well in his first stint of being a head coach.

 

I think the job is perfect for a young energetic coach.

  • Replies 366
  • Views 74k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck in Coach Flynn's retirement. He is a great guy and was very good to the kids and my son had a lot of respect for him as a coach.

 

As far as myself as a candidate, unless they want to go 2-24 they better not even consider my resume. LOL However, my Johnson Jaguar 2 yr coaching stint in 2005-2006 includes a 24-0 record, Dayton Tourney champs as well as Newport League Champs. Not much to hang my hat on there.

 

I think Steve Hunt or Josh Feldman would be viable somewhat younger coaches WHO could infuse some positive energy.

 

I dont know if there will be many applicants though since its a football school.

  • Author

I don't recall any issues at CCH regarding football players who also wanted to play basketball.

I would guess there will be 30+ apply for the job.

  • Author

Best wishes in retirement to Mike. Worse players to retire to than South Carolina. Nice guy.

I think the job is perfect for a young energetic coach.

 

This program could use some energy.

Didn't Hunt do a lot of coaching there anyway? Seems like he was very active as an assistant and did the subbing?

  • Author
Mike Code

 

In the school system, correct?

For those on here that are not surprised that Mike resigned, let me give you a perspective from inside the program.

 

I for one, was caught completely off guard when I got the text exactly 3 minutes before Clyde had a thread started on the site. Whether or not Mike would be back to lead the program has been a topic of discussion since the first NCC game this year. That game was an all-time low for the program. Nine points through three quarters... nuff said. I was told by more than one person that Mike tried to resign right then. Not sure if that is true, but told to me by multiple folks. The end of the season was much more competitive and successful. Things seemed to settle down. Still the rumors were flying.

 

In the last 2 weeks, Mike has given all the signs of a coach committed to the program for 2013/2014. Sending out spring open gym schedules, asking kids their intentions to committ to the spring/summer scrimmages, meeting with kids and parents to discuss and answer questions about their role in the program. I had put the thought of Mike resigning to bed. Couple that with the knowledge that his wife's retirement was to be after next year, and I thought he would be back.

 

I didn't always like the style of offense or the lack of production, but I really liked Mike as the coach. He was fair and the kids always played hard. HHS won the games they were supposed to win. They just don't have the horses right now to compete at the upper level of the 9th region. A new coach is not going to change the reality that this cycle of football players playing basketball will be a .500 squad at best.

 

Good luck coach and enjoy retirement.

In the school system, correct?

 

Mike Code is in the building -- physcial ed/health teacher

Josh Feldman - in the system, but not in the high school building

 

Willie Schlarman - still in the building

I want to thank Coach Flynn for his years of service to the school and the kids. Mike is one heck of a fine person. When he got hired, he went out of his way to come up and introduce himself to me. Every time I saw him, he was nothing but nice to me. Just a class act all the way around. I know some negatively commented on here about his coaching style, but I have no idea if those comments had any merit. I know as much about basketball as Qryche does about football. :isurrender:

 

Hope MIke has a long and enjoyable retirement down in South Carolina. Any one know what part of the Palmetto State he's moving to?

Josh Feldman - in the system, but not in the high school building

 

Willie Schlarman - still in the building

 

Wouldn't that be something if Willie were to step back onto the sidelines, though I can tell you with virtual certainty that will not happen. I feel that whomever the hire is needs to be in the building on a daily basis talking to the kids, much like Dale does with the football team.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.