February 13, 201313 yr Author Yikes...just posted on one of my friend's Twitter account (a Louisville fan): "Looks like Nerlens Noel gave up basketball for Lent." Seen that posted by several people.
February 13, 201313 yr Author I saw the injury when it happened and have been following this a little bit through the day. My understanding with a knee injury of this nature is that the kinds of things that could show up on an MRI were of much more concern heading in than the kinds of things that x-rays would reveal. Is that correct? I'm no doctor but saying that the x-ray was negative really doesn't tell us much anything at all when dealing with a knee injury. You get your x-ray, they say, "Okay it doesn't look like anything is broken. There is no damage to bones, we are going to need to do an MRI." The MRI is where you find out just about everything with a knee. Patella damage, ACL, MCL, PCL, Miniscus. From my experience in dealing with a knee inury, resulting in a torn ACL and reconstructive surgery on it...an x-ray is almost pointless.
February 13, 201313 yr I'm no doctor but saying that the x-ray was negative really doesn't tell us much anything at all when dealing with a knee injury. You get your x-ray, they saying, "Okay it doesn't look like anything is broken. There is no damage to bones, we are going to need to do an MRI." The MRI is where you find out just about everything with a knee. Patella damage, ACL, MCL, PCL, Miniscus. From my experience in dealing with a knee inury, resulting in a torn ACL and reconstructive surgery on it...an x-ray is almost pointless. Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I read a rumor of a ruptured patellar tendon somewhere this morning. I hope that's not true. It's what happened to Ellis Myles from Louisville back in 2003. Missed the rest of that season and the entire next season.
February 13, 201313 yr I'm hopeful there isn't any tears but I think that is very very wishful thinking.
February 13, 201313 yr All an X-Ray will tell us is about bones which isn't really the worry here. The MRI is what will tell us everything. If he had it this morning, I would expect the results to start leaking a little later this afternoon.
February 13, 201313 yr He wasn't hit by a helmet the knee/bone is fine. Now what is going on inside of the knee is the scary part. Would be hard to escape any ligament or tendon damage with that kind of hyperextension, looked very RG3ish. The big test is still to come.
February 13, 201313 yr The picture on Kentucky.com tells almost as much as an MRI. It shows his leg in an 80 degree angle to the side. His ligaments would need to be made of rubber for there not to be any tears. Almost as gross as the Marcus Lattimore images I've seen. Those with squeamish stomachs should click on link with caution. Photo shows the awkward angle at which Nerlens Noel landed. G... on Twitpic
February 13, 201313 yr A friend of mine works at the OR at UK hospital and overheard surgeons saying it will threaten his career. Don't know how much weight that holds, but interesting to hear.
February 13, 201313 yr A friend of mine works at the OR at UK hospital and overheard surgeons saying it will threaten his career. Don't know how much weight that holds, but interesting to hear. Just means your friend broke a Federal Law. :lol:
February 13, 201313 yr ^ I think, in terms of x-rays, no broken bones. Or at least they didn't see any. However, the MRI will tell more...ligaments, cartilage, or an osteo-chondial fracture that an x-ray won't show.
February 13, 201313 yr Just means your friend broke a Federal Law. :lol: Wasn't their patient. Just an opinion of a surgeon. Just like when they have doctors on the ESPN give their opinions.
February 13, 201313 yr Or at least they didn't see any. However, the MRI will tell more...ligaments, cartilage, or an osteo-chondial fracture that an x-ray won't show. Considering its the knee the MRI should be rather definitive. However for smaller injuries, for example the labrum (small round piece of cartilage in the shoulder) its harder to see there is a tear because its a very small tissue surrounded by a lot of other tissue. I should know because they actually missed that in an MRI of mine and didn't discover the injury until they went in for arthroscopic surgery and by then there was no posterior-labrum left and there were only pieces lying around (roughly 3 years after they missed the tear).
February 13, 201313 yr Just saw a tweet on twitter that said some "random" sources were saying it was a tear of the MCL and ACL. I'm not taking their word for it but that certainly would be not be good.
February 13, 201313 yr Just saw a tweet on twitter that said some "random" sources were saying it was a tear of the MCL and ACL. I'm not taking their word for it but that certainly would be not be good. Maggard was saying the same thing this morning....I'd say it's most likely pretty accurate.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.