Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fans need to be fans!

Featured Replies

It always amazes me how many people have a better view of a play from the stands than the ref did who is right in front of the action. Also amazes me how little people know about the rules when they are complaining about them.

IMO, coaches/ADs need to have a parent meeting at the start of the season to let parents know their expectations for proper conduct when attending games.

 

That's want would happen in a perfect world.

  • Replies 116
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do get into officials, but ONLY WHEN I'M RIGHT!!!!!!.

 

I.

 

As do all.

Good question. Personally if they are becoming "the main attraction" or verbally threaten anyone in the building, they've got to go.

 

I'll agree on the latter but not he former. Too vague.

I have seen head coaches walk 20 -30 feet on to the floor while screaming at officials. This was behaviour that cleaarly merited ejection. Only a single technical was assessed. I think that communicates a standard of behavior to the spectators in attendance that is not desireable.

I'm sick and tired of going to games trying to enjoy them and hear some idiot in the stand either yelling at their coach, opposing coach, their own kids or officials. What enjoyment do people get out of talking down to a coach? Do you not have any idea how much time is put into a season or even a certain game for that matter? Your setting a TERRIBLE EXAMPLE! I have been to games where a parent has been walking out of the gym with 1 min left is disgust cause there kid wasnt in the game then while the coach was putting her in had the nerve to yell across the gym, "It's too late now!" I have been to games where a ref was being cracked on about his heigth or how old they may be. Worst of all I have heard fans upset with the way an opposing coach is playing. What are you teaching you kids? If its lack of respect then your doing a great job. ANymore kids are an absolute joke when is comes to respect and sportsmanship. I apologize for those few parents and kids that are not suffering from this problem. There truely are some great kids out there. Hopefully this message gets across to a few of you but I know it wont. I just felt the need to express frustration I have had this season when it comes to trying to watch a great girls basketball game and all I can here is some idiot yelling the entire time because they dont know any different. GROW UP AND SET AN EXAMPLE!

I only yell at the officials :thumb:

I would never yell at an official while they are doing their job. I'll wait till I get home and "blast" them on BGP. :lol:

Leave the officials alone. They have feelings too! Some of them already have to hear what they did wrong from their spouses who come to watch the games they ref. They don't need wannabe refs telling them what they did wrong when most of the time, it was the right call.

A few years ago, I was attending a b-ball game at Dixie Heights. There was a "passionate fan" (famous NKY lawyer) from the opposing team that was standing up and berating the officials and coaches. This went on for darn near the entire game. I was there to watch a basketball game, not to listen to this person CONTINUALLY scream and whine about calls. At one point it wasn't about the kids on the floor in competition, everyone was concentrating on that "passionate fan". It got bad, real bad, so bad that the "passionate fan" was escorted out which set this "passionate fan" off even worse as the fan was exiting. I was actually embarrassed for "passionate fan".

I would never yell at an official while they are doing their job. I'll wait till I get home and "blast" them on BGP. :lol:

 

:laugh:

I think we should have coaches and officials go to the offending fan's place of employment and scream at them for 90 minutes about how to do their job...

I'll agree on the latter but not he former. Too vague.

 

What's your solution to the problem? Did you ever have to ask game management to take care of a fan as an official? I think I did 4-5 times in my 13 years of calling games.

There are several points here where I agree and disagree. However, one thing I feel strongly about is when adults make fools out of themselves by yelling at students from opposing schools for any reason. There are refs I have yelled at, coaches I've wanted to yell at, but NEVER have I yelled at a kid having fun at a game. Airball or whatever the chant, it is never acceptable for an adult to lose their temper to a kid in the stands. It just begs the student section to do more.

What's your solution to the problem? Did you ever have to ask game management to take care of a fan as an official? I think I did 4-5 times in my 13 years of calling games.

 

My first year I worked a game and noticed during a timeout that my partner was having a discussion with a fan. I asked about it later and he said he was close to having the guy thrown out because the fan said he disagreed with some of his calls. I asked him if he wanted to ref a game with no fans in the stands.

 

Had one guy we had to have thrown out. His daughter fouled out. During a deadball I noticed him come out of the stands and go to my partner who was on the endline. We had him removed. His daughter them got off of the bench and stormed out while leaving a parting shot for the official. No big deal. It was embarrassing for the coach and the other fans.

 

If a fan is not cursing loudly and is not making threats then he/she stays.

 

99% of officials know fans are going to yell and it rolls right off their back.

If I had to rank basketball fans, in the order of who whines the most at games, here goes (My perspective, I have had a kid play at each level at one time or another):

 

1) Middle school parents are the worst. (both girls and boys)

2) High school girls parents

3) High school boys parents

 

If you look at the list, I think it is a parent's protective nature. Middle school kids are younger so parents more protective. Girls' HS parents are next (BOTH moms and dads), followed by boys HS parents.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.