Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands Public Address Announcer

Featured Replies

Word has it that the longtime HHS PA announcer is hanging up his microphone. It will be different not hearing that familiar voice on Friday nights. Any word on who is taking over the job?

  • Replies 94
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word has it that the longtime HHS PA announcer is hanging up his microphone. It will be different not hearing that familiar voice on Friday nights. Any word on who is taking over the job?

 

I do not know who will take his place, but the change has been long overdue. He couldn't even get the players on Highlands correct. I look forward to hearing his replacement.

I have heard the replacement will be the HHS Broadcast Department, so it will be high school kids. Could be wrong, but that is what I heard. My understanding that the boys basketball announcer would like the job and what about Kevin Nieporte? Perhaps they could have open auditions.

  • Author

Having the kids from the Broadcast Department do this will be a disaster. HHS is a top notch program and the PA announcer position needs to be filled with a knowledgeable and competent adult. I recall Scott and some other schools using kids and it is like amateur hour. The JV announcer does a great job, why not give him a shot?

Having the kids from the Broadcast Department do this will be a disaster. HHS is a top notch program and the PA announcer position needs to be filled with a knowledgeable and competent adult. I recall Scott and some other schools using kids and it is like amateur hour. The JV announcer does a great job, why not give him a shot?

 

Is this a paid position or volunteer? I had always assumed the announcer was not paid.

If I remember right, Jack Collinsworth did a good job at it.

He will be deeply missed. Friday nights will not be the same at Highlands. He has been announcing for 53 years and has had a wonderful career as a college professor at the University of Cincinnati. I believe he recently was awarded the NKADA Distinguished Service Award for his service as an announcer and scorekeeper. Thanks for all your years of service. I hope they were as rewarding to you as it was to those who had the pleasure of listening to you on Friday nights.

  • Author

It would be nice if he was publicly thanked for his years of service sometime during the upcoming season!

Having the kids from the Broadcast Department do this will be a disaster. HHS is a top notch program and the PA announcer position needs to be filled with a knowledgeable and competent adult. I recall Scott and some other schools using kids and it is like amateur hour. The JV announcer does a great job, why not give him a shot?

 

I disagree. I have no one in the program, but from a distance I think the kids in that broadcasting department do a very credible job. Plus this is a good life experience for them.

  • Author
I disagree. I have no one in the program, but from a distance I think the kids in that broadcasting department do a very credible job. Plus this is a good life experience for them.
Too many long time volunteers in the program that I'm sure would like the opportunity, to just hand a job like this over to inexperienced kids and have the games sound like they are being announced by inexperienced kids. Let them cut their teeth by announcing, running the clock, spotting etc...for the FTJFL games. Then, if they prove competent and dedicated, move them up to the Freshman games. They still get the experience, but just don't get handed the top job right off the bat.

He is being honored at the Football Banquet this Sunday.

Jake Donelan has my vote. He is pretty good.

Too many long time volunteers in the program that I'm sure would like the opportunity, to just hand a job like this over to inexperienced kids and have the games sound like they are being announced by inexperienced kids. Let them cut their teeth by announcing, running the clock, spotting etc...for the FTJFL games. Then, if they prove competent and dedicated, move them up to the Freshman games. They still get the experience, but just don't get handed the top job right off the bat.

 

I think you may have forgotten the school's mission. The broadcasting program at Highlands is a part of their Capstone program in which students are learning at an accelerated pace and receiving collegiate credit for their work. I expect you will be genuinely surprised with the quality of the production.

I think you may have forgotten the school's mission. The broadcasting program at Highlands is a part of their Capstone program in which students are learning at an accelerated pace and receiving collegiate credit for their work. I expect you will be genuinely surprised with the quality of the production.

 

Good points and understood....However, that still doesn't make them good P.A. announcers.

 

Hey I love to golf, but Iam horrible at it...

 

My vote would be for Kevin "get back, get back" Neioporte:thumb:

Good points and understood....However, that still doesn't make them good P.A. announcers.

 

Hey I love to golf, but Iam horrible at it...

 

My vote would be for Kevin "get back, get back" Neioporte:thumb:

 

I second Kevin!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.