Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

When will CovCath get the monkey off their back and win another State Championship?

Featured Replies

The Colonels have made some great progress under Coach Dave Wirth these past 2 seasons and have given the Birds a few competitive games but close only counts in horseshoes. I know the Colonel faithful are not satisfied with simply coming close and being competitive, they expect to win. It has been 6 long years since the Colonels won their last state championship.

 

How is the talent level at CovCath over the next couple years and do you think they can get the Birds in the near future?

  • Replies 71
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Birds will be better next year than they are this year. The junior class at HHS is loaded with size and speed. I don't see the the Blue Boys winning next year either..

  • Author
I believe the Birds will be better next year than they are this year. The junior class at HHS is loaded with size and speed. I don't see the the Blue Boys winning next year either..

 

 

I agree, with Houliston stepping in and an extremely athletic bunch in that class I think the Birds roll once again.

 

However, what about the current Frosh and Soph's.....is the run for Highlands coming to an end soon?

I agree, with Houliston stepping in and an extremely athletic bunch in that class I think the Birds roll once again.

 

However, what about the current Frosh and Soph's.....is the run for Highlands coming to an end soon?

 

It will be interesting after next year..

While I am not about to start making predictions about next year,

I will say that CCH is in very good shape athletically for the next several years.

Solid soph class, frosh look good & the feeder schools all have nice players.

No one is a "super-star" that is going to come in and start all 4 years, but nice players.

Lets see how they mature, the work level they put in and how they "buy in" to everything that they should be doing.

 

They will compete.

Highlands has a few more weeks in the 2012 season. Best wishes.

2013 has already started for the Colonels.

I hope they use the extra time wisely.

The Colonels have made some great progress under Coach Dave Wirth these past 2 seasons and have given the Birds a few competitive games but close only counts in horseshoes. I know the Colonel faithful are not satisfied with simply coming close and being competitive, they expect to win. It has been 6 long years since the Colonels won their last state championship.

 

How is the talent level at CovCath over the next couple years and do you think they can get the Birds in the near future?

 

And hand grenades. Here is a question for which I don't have any answer. When was the last time Covington Catholic beat Highlands on any level? Hasn't been for a while.

I don't think it will happen in the next few years. Maybe after Dale retires?

I agree, with Houliston stepping in and an extremely athletic bunch in that class I think the Birds roll once again.

 

However, what about the current Frosh and Soph's.....is the run for Highlands coming to an end soon?

 

Frosh and Soph's may not matter - KHSAA alignment may put CCH and HHS in different class. HHS is the smallest 4A school now and with alignment they may drop to 3A (unless KHSAA allows them to move up).

Frosh and Soph's may not matter - KHSAA alignment may put CCH and HHS in different class. HHS is the smallest 4A school now and with alignment they may drop to 3A (unless KHSAA allows them to move up).

 

This would be very interesting.

The 2015 thru 2018 alignement might be a factor for CCH and HHS both winnning State

 

Largest four schools in class 3A

South Warren 413 boys (two yr avg)

Bourbon County 414

East Carter 415

McCreary Central 417.5

 

Smallest three class 4A

Highlands 419.5

Lexington Catholic 427.5

Taylor County 428.0

 

Largest 4 schools in Class 4A

Madisonville-North 509.5

Clay County 512.5

Mercer County 521.5

Fairdale 524

 

Smallest 3 schools in 5A

Shelby County 525

Perry County Central 525.5

Warren Central 529.5

 

Covington Catholic is at 504.5 - 8 spots from top of 4A and 33 spots from the bottom in 4A

 

HHS could move to 3A if any of the lower schools move up in enrollment. CCH is more likely to remain in 4A. They have 8 schools with higher enrollment and would have to jump from 504.5 to close to 524 to move up.

 

However there are no 3A schools in NKY - closest is Mason County HS.

The 2015 thru 2018 alignement might be a factor for CCH and HHS both winnning State

 

Largest four schools in class 3A

South Warren 413 boys (two yr avg)

Bourbon County 414

East Carter 415

McCreary Central 417.5

 

Smallest three class 4A

Highlands 419.5

Lexington Catholic 427.5

Taylor County 428.0

 

Largest 4 schools in Class 4A

Madisonville-North 509.5

Clay County 512.5

Mercer County 521.5

Fairdale 524

 

Smallest 3 schools in 5A

Shelby County 525

Perry County Central 525.5

Warren Central 529.5

 

Covington Catholic is at 504.5 - 8 spots from top of 4A and 33 spots from the bottom in 4A

 

HHS could move to 3A if any of the lower schools move up in enrollment. CCH is more likely to remain in 4A. They have 8 schools with higher enrollment and would have to jump from 504.5 to close to 524 to move up.

 

However there are no 3A schools in NKY - closest is Mason County HS.

 

 

 

This is why HHS will remain a 4A school until a full 3A district can be assembled in NKY.

I think it's funny that it's to the point now that the hopes for the next CCH state championship depend upon HHS being moved out of their class.

 

Why is CCH v HHS still billed as "NKY's best football rivalry?" A rivalry means the other team wins every now and then. Close games, blowout games, regular season, playoffs - HHS wins them all. If CCH isn't building their team and season to do one thing - beat HHS - what's the point?

 

You get what you tolerate.

I think it's funny that it's to the point now that the hopes for the next CCH state championship depend upon HHS being moved out of their class.

 

Why is CCH v HHS still billed as "NKY's best football rivalry?" A rivalry means the other team wins every now and then. Close games, blowout games, regular season, playoffs - HHS wins them all. If CCH isn't building their team and season to do one thing - beat HHS - what's the point?

 

You get what you tolerate.

 

Nobody from Covington Catholic wants anything to do with a state championship that does not go through Highlands. Nobody hopes that we get realigned, trust me.

 

And yes, Highlands is on an impressive run that has solidified them as the States best program. So just keep in mind that it isn't just CovCath losing to them. Everybody is losing to them. All things eventually come to an end, and I think Highlands run of State Championships is definetly on the back nine. I would be more than surprised if HHS won the next six in a row.

Nobody from Covington Catholic wants anything to do with a state championship that does not go through Highlands. Nobody hopes that we get realigned, trust me.

 

And yes, Highlands is on an impressive run that has solidified them as the States best program. So just keep in mind that it isn't just CovCath losing to them. Everybody is losing to them. All things eventually come to an end, and I think Highlands run of State Championships is definitely on the back nine. I would be more than surprised if HHS won the next six in a row.

 

This.

 

Also for what it's worth...even if Cov Cath and Highlands are in different classes, I can't imagine the regular season game doesn't continue to be scheduled.

This.

 

Also for what it's worth...even if Cov Cath and Highlands are in different classes, I can't imagine the regular season game doesn't continue to be scheduled.

 

That is a very interesting question. Would Cov. Cath continue to schedule Highlands if they weren't in the same district?

 

I realize you answered it, but wonder what other Cov. Cath. fans think.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.