Survey Says Two-Thirds of Americans Can't Name Any U.S. Supreme Court Justices

I am very well read and politically plugged in. Off the top of my head, I can name 4 but I had to think about it. Three came to mind pretty quickly, a fourth after I thought for a few seconds. If you put their names in front of me in a group of 50 names, I could pick out all the justices no problem. I am not surprised that people would have trouble naming them. Actually, 34% is not that surprising. When you consider that 35% of Americans aren't even registered to vote, that number is even less surprising to me. I wonder what percent of voters can name a justice. My guess is over 50% of voters, perhaps even as high as 75%, can name at least one justice.

Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, Kennedy, Ginsberg, Soto something or another (I think). Not sure on the other two. Is that old guy Stevens still around? Who am I missing? I don't want to cheat & look it up.

As far as RTS's original post, those numbers don't surprise me at all. In fact, 34% is a little better than I would have guessed.

I am very well read and politically plugged in. Off the top of my head, I can name 4 but I had to think about it. Three came to mind pretty quickly, a fourth after I thought for a few seconds. If you put their names in front of me in a group of 50 names, I could pick out all the justices no problem. I am not surprised that people would have trouble naming them. Actually, 34% is not that surprising. When you consider that 35% of Americans aren't even registered to vote, that number is even less surprising to me. I wonder what percent of voters can name a justice. My guess is over 50% of voters, perhaps even as high as 75%, can name at least one justice.

I am with you on everything in this post. I would not say I am "well read and politically plugged in", but I know what is going on. I always forget about Kennedy and Alito even though he is one of the newer ones.

Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, Kennedy, Ginsberg, Soto something or another (I think). Not sure on the other two. Is that old guy Stevens still around? Who am I missing? I don't want to cheat & look it up.

As far as RTS's original post, those numbers don't surprise me at all. In fact, 34% is a little better than I would have guessed.

Hint on one... most recent one confirmed.

I am with you on everything in this post. I would not say I am "well read and politically plugged in", but I know what is going on. I always forget about Kennedy and Alito even though he is one of the newer ones.

I remember the conservatives because I'm conservative. I remember Kennedy because he's typically viewed as the "swing vote." The others I have a harder time with.

I'll (probably) always remember the bit on "The Man Show" where they were on the street getting women to sign a petition to end women's suffrage.

I'd guess that a basic civics test would be a challenge to the general populace. Heck, I'm not so sure I'd do all that great myself.

You would think that more than 34% could name at least Roberts after the whole Health Care deal. Bet they can name most people from reality shows, though.

Probably so. I would be willing to put money on the idea that within that 34 percent who can't name a justice, the percentage that can talk about recent plot points from "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" is really high.

Why should we expect it to be higher? Sarah Palin could not name a periodical she read or a Supreme Court decision if my memory is correct. And that woman was presented as the VP candidate! :scared:

I'll (probably) always remember the bit on "The Man Show" where they were on the street getting women to sign a petition to end women's suffrage..

While that was a chauvinistic show, I will admit, that segment and several others had me laughing pretty hard. The Wheel of Destiny was always funny.

I'd guess that a basic civics test would be a challenge to the general populace. Heck, I'm not so sure I'd do all that great myself.

I would like to think I would do pretty good the nerd I am but I think for some many people, history and civics is choke it down for the test, spit it out for the test and never think about it again. And as far as current event regarding civics, unfortunately most Americans just have no interest. Snookie and the Situation for some odd reason interest them more. Didn't one survey show that more Europeans can find the US on a map than Americans can? That is sad if true.

I'll (probably) always remember the bit on "The Man Show" where they were on the street getting women to sign a petition to end women's suffrage.

Same with the petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide. I'm not surprise by any polls like this.

The Jaywalking segments on Leno give you an idea of where we are with civic knowledge, or even just some common sense.

I think less than have half could answer the question "Who is buried in Grant's tomb?"

Can't remember for sure, don't think it was on Jaywalking, but they were asking people to sign a petition to end women's suffrage. Amazing how many people signed.