Did the Kentucky Enquirer just give up?

Shiloh

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree!

It seems with the new online interface, they want you to write the story for them and to me at least, to then ask you for a time that they can get back to you via your phone number if they need anymore information, is a bit much!

BTW both Richard Skinner and Mac Hardin are top notch sports reporters but they can't be everywhere!

NkyPete the guys at Ky Post are nice too, as are the guys for the CJ and LHL papers!

What is the appetite these days in Lexington and Louisville papers/online for box scores, scoring summaries, and stats from NKY? When I was low tech, I stopped calling them because I ended up being the only car left in the stadium parking lot after passing on all that information multiple times! Now that Holy Cross is a lot more into the 21st century for stats, I might reconsider if there is an audience.

What is the appetite these days in Lexington and Louisville papers/online for box scores, scoring summaries, and stats from NKY? When I was low tech, I stopped calling them because I ended up being the only car left in the stadium parking lot after passing on all that information multiple times! Now that Holy Cross is a lot more into the 21st century for stats, I might reconsider if there is an audience.

LHL puts the scores and details up pretty much after we give them to them! CJ is a little slower but it's does get your school some attention out side of the NKy area!

Folks, I share your disappointment in hwo the Enquirer covers Northern Kentucky. The timeliness of online posts is not very timely and overall there needs to be more, more, more. For the record last week we did an advance on the Showdown games, an advance on Highlands-Boyle and capsules of the top 10 games of the week, then covered three games on Friday and then this week added a Tuesday football notebook. If I had my druthers we would have a football element a day (feature story, notebook, advance or game coverage) and cover either a volleyball or soccer game a day (or have a feature story or notebook) as well, but alas the budget doesn't allow that. That being said I would hope you target any complaints you have to the following:

Publisher Margaret Buchanan: publisher@enquirer.com

Editor Carolyn Washburn: cwashburn@enquirer.com

Sports Editor Angel Rodgriguez: arodriguez@enquirer.com

The squeaky wheel gets the oil and unless they know you care enough to complain, they unfortunately assume you aren't out there (which as Northern Kentuckian I know isn't true, but "they" don't always know that).

Mr. Skinner I have nothing but respect for you, Ryan Ernst and Certainlly Terry Boehmker did and does for NKY prep sports. But the enquirer's depth of coverage is no near on par as the Post was. I've emailed the proper Enquirer personel four times to be exact and was told thank you for your concern and they were constantly working on improving the paper.

I miss and need the newspaper sports page. Please , Please , Please give the kids the write up they deserve. Nothing is better then geotta on a Saturday moring and going thru the newspaper and reading all the football stories. Not only that , what will these boys have to show their grandchildren? It means more on newspaper print than a copy of an internet page. Internet counts also, it is just another new avenue. Gotta have both.

Impartial,

That answer doesn't surprise me, but it's disappointing to hear. The only thing I can say is keep badgering them as much as possible. There are a lot of readers in Northern Kentucky, and sometimes I'm not sure the powers that be understand that. I still think Scripps should have kept The Post open in Kentucky. It was fairly successful even at the end. Sadly they could and should do so much more online, too, but bean counters aren't ready to make a bigger commitment that just having someone take scores over the phone and an occassional gamer.

Impartial,

That answer doesn't surprise me, but it's disappointing to hear. The only thing I can say is keep badgering them as much as possible. There are a lot of readers in Northern Kentucky, and sometimes I'm not sure the powers that be understand that. I still think Scripps should have kept The Post open in Kentucky. It was fairly successful even at the end. Sadly they could and should do so much more online, too, but bean counters aren't ready to make a bigger commitment that just having someone take scores over the phone and an occassional gamer.

Skinny knows just how many times I have written to the head of the Enquirer and indeed I did get answers back but I honestly and truthfully think that:

1) The woman has no idea how important HS sports are to the community

2) How big a marker NKy is.

I honestly think the LHL is missing the boat for a lot of extra business by not putting out a NKy edition of their paper. I would have said the CJ but they and the Enquirer are owned and operated by the same parent company!

Folks, I share your disappointment in hwo the Enquirer covers Northern Kentucky. The timeliness of online posts is not very timely and overall there needs to be more, more, more. For the record last week we did an advance on the Showdown games, an advance on Highlands-Boyle and capsules of the top 10 games of the week, then covered three games on Friday and then this week added a Tuesday football notebook. If I had my druthers we would have a football element a day (feature story, notebook, advance or game coverage) and cover either a volleyball or soccer game a day (or have a feature story or notebook) as well, but alas the budget doesn't allow that. That being said I would hope you target any complaints you have to the following:

Publisher Margaret Buchanan: publisher@enquirer.com

Editor Carolyn Washburn: cwashburn@enquirer.com

Sports Editor Angel Rodgriguez: arodriguez@enquirer.com

The squeaky wheel gets the oil and unless they know you care enough to complain, they unfortunately assume you aren't out there (which as Northern Kentuckian I know isn't true, but "they" don't always know that).

Every one on BGP from N. Ky needs to e mail Margaret and tell her that she either focuses more on local sports (including N. Ky) and news (forget the national and international stuff; we get that information from other sources) or we have no reason to continue to take the paper. Time to open a can of BGP-ass on the Enquirer!

PS: in the e mail, mention that Richard deserves a big raise too!

I almost felt sorry for the Enquirer this morning. There was a nice picture of Beechwood's Nussbaum and Erdman that was linked to the article on tonight's SK game. Sadly, the headline with the picture states that the Tigers are 2A. Nice try though.

Don't know if anyone else noticed, the article on Holy Cross and Cooper was titled "Indians take on 5A Conner". I don't care what excuses the enquirer has but that paper would fail any English 101 college entry course. C'mon man at least proof read the article. Cooper fans should be upset and who could blame them. Get it right or don't print it.