Did the Kentucky Enquirer just give up?

Shiloh

I have been asking myself this questin for a few years now. When NKY had both the Post and the Enquirer, the Post out did the Enquirer in prep coverage. In my opinion the only time the Enquirer had good prep coverage was on Sundays, when the Post did not publish a paper. Now with the Post kaput for how many years now, you would think the Enquirer would improve its coverage. Instead it seems they have almost gotten even mor lax on their coverage on both sides of the river. Newark fan is the reason for this thread, asking for prep previews, hopefully no one wasted their time and money or his time in sending him the Enquirer's prep preview. It seems the Enquirer is putting as little money,time, and effort behind prep sports in our region.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When all I see online (which is the way they are going anyway) is 2 stories (CovCath/Campbell County & Highlands/Boyle County) on the first week of the season it makes me sick. Terry Boehmker and the Post were the absolute best in covering NKY and even parts of North Central KY. Personally, it should have been the Post that stayed and the Enquirer gone. Even in the NKY edition, they force the Cincinnati scores and stories. Same online. Really useless.

The ship was sinking well before Ryan Ernst skipped town. Bring back that guy with the camcorder and the microphone attached. It's a shame high school sports coverage has dwindled so much.

I agree the papers coverage of HS has dwindled dramatically over the years, but over all coverage is up. You can find blogs, tweets, Facebook, web sites, on line reports, etc. We know more about a team or kids now then we ever did.

When all I see online (which is the way they are going anyway) is 2 stories (CovCath/Campbell County & Highlands/Boyle County) on the first week of the season it makes me sick. Terry Boehmker and the Post were the absolute best in covering NKY and even parts of North Central KY. .

Maybe that's why the Post went out of business. You have to appeal to the most readers. It's not a non-profit.

You can also see it in the way the Enquirer "prefers" to get game stats. They have provided a "faceless" online interface to post box scores, scoring summaries, and game recaps. As long as I can, I'm avoiding that interface! I like to make the call myself and talk to a live person. I may point them to a URL that contains the information previously mentioned; however, I want to help the person on the other end of the line "write the story". Not only do I tell them top performers from BOTH teams (not just my own), but I want to relay key points of the game where momentum changed. You really have to do this with the Enquirer or you only get a box score and scoring summary. That's why I love the guys at KYPost.com. They recognize me when I call and are appreciative of any information given to them. It shows in the quality of the online stories they write.

You can also see it in the way the Enquirer "prefers" to get game stats. They have provided a "faceless" online interface to post box scores, scoring summaries, and game recaps. As long as I can, I'm avoiding that interface! I like to make the call myself and talk to a live person. I may point them to a URL that contains the information previously mentioned; however, I want to help the person on the other end of the line "write the story". Not only do I tell them top performers from BOTH teams (not just my own), but I want to relay key points of the game where momentum changed. You really have to do this with the Enquirer or you only get a box score and scoring summary. That's why I love the guys at KYPost.com. They recognize me when I call and are appreciative of any information given to them. It shows in the quality of the online stories they write.

I agree!

It seems with the new online interface, they want you to write the story for them and to me at least, to then ask you for a time that they can get back to you via your phone number if they need anymore information, is a bit much!

BTW both Richard Skinner and Mac Hardin are top notch sports reporters but they can't be everywhere!

NkyPete the guys at Ky Post are nice too, as are the guys for the CJ and LHL papers!

Edited by Theoldguy

Folks, I share your disappointment in hwo the Enquirer covers Northern Kentucky. The timeliness of online posts is not very timely and overall there needs to be more, more, more. For the record last week we did an advance on the Showdown games, an advance on Highlands-Boyle and capsules of the top 10 games of the week, then covered three games on Friday and then this week added a Tuesday football notebook. If I had my druthers we would have a football element a day (feature story, notebook, advance or game coverage) and cover either a volleyball or soccer game a day (or have a feature story or notebook) as well, but alas the budget doesn't allow that. That being said I would hope you target any complaints you have to the following:

Publisher Margaret Buchanan: publisher@enquirer.com

Editor Carolyn Washburn: cwashburn@enquirer.com

Sports Editor Angel Rodgriguez: arodriguez@enquirer.com

The squeaky wheel gets the oil and unless they know you care enough to complain, they unfortunately assume you aren't out there (which as Northern Kentuckian I know isn't true, but "they" don't always know that).

Folks, I share your disappointment in hwo the Enquirer covers Northern Kentucky. The timeliness of online posts is not very timely and overall there needs to be more, more, more. For the record last week we did an advance on the Showdown games, an advance on Highlands-Boyle and capsules of the top 10 games of the week, then covered three games on Friday and then this week added a Tuesday football notebook. If I had my druthers we would have a football element a day (feature story, notebook, advance or game coverage) and cover either a volleyball or soccer game a day (or have a feature story or notebook) as well, but alas the budget doesn't allow that. That being said I would hope you target any complaints you have to the following:

Publisher Margaret Buchanan: publisher@enquirer.com

Editor Carolyn Washburn: cwashburn@enquirer.com

Sports Editor Angel Rodgriguez: arodriguez@enquirer.com

The squeaky wheel gets the oil and unless they know you care enough to complain, they unfortunately assume you aren't out there (which as Northern Kentuckian I know isn't true, but "they" don't always know that).

Unfortunately, I did write to them a while back when Ryan was still there. All they did was give it to him and he called me.