Roger Clemens is making a comeback.

LRCW

Roger Clemens is coming back to baseball. The seven-time Cy Young Award winner, fresh off his acquittal on federal charges he lied to Congress regarding alleged steroid use, has signed a contract with the Sugar Land (Texas) Skeeters, a franchise in the independent Atlantic League of Professional Baseball.Randy Hendricks, one of Clemens' agents, confirmed to USA TODAY Sports' Paul White that Clemens, 50, will make his first start Saturday night, against the Bridgeport Bluefish.

Said Hendricks via e-mail: "It is at this point a fun, local, one time kind of thing. If he does well, he will probably make at least one more home start. He threw 87 mph today with four pitches working, so he looks good to go at this point.

"The hitters will let us know on Saturday night."

Fox 26 in Houston first reported the news of Clemens' comeback.

Clemens, 50, hit 87 mph on the radar gun in a workout for the Skeeters, according to Fox 26. It's unclear whether Clemens has designs on a serious comeback or if this is merely a brief publicity stunt that independent leagues are known for.

If he does make it to the major leagues, it would serve the purpose of re-setting his eligibility for the Hall of Fame. Clemens is set to appear on the ballot for the first time this December, along with Barry Bonds.

Roger Clemens making comeback - with Sugar Land Skeeters

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he does make it to the major leagues, it would serve the purpose of re-setting his eligibility for the Hall of Fame. Clemens is set to appear on the ballot for the first time this December, along with Barry Bonds.

Anyone else think he may be doing this to distance himself from Bonds, his recent trial, and to keep his fingers crossed the voters change their stance so that he can insure his 1st ballot status?

Anyone else think he may be doing this to distance himself from Bonds, his recent trial, and to keep his fingers crossed the voters change their stance so that he can insure his 1st ballot status?

No doubt in my mind, but I think this will just blow up on him, making it worse.

Cheater. These guys are all cheaters and I have no respect for them. Egotistical, selfish cheaters. Just take your money and get out of here.

My question is if it is really cheating when baseball had nothing in place to even try to stop it? Usually to help stop cheating you have refs enforce the rules on the field, and then you off the field you have people investigate and have drug testing like they do now to make sure it is an even playing field. Baseball and Bud Selig KNEW they had all kinds of players who were doing these things. However they did NOTHING to try to stop it. They were still trying to get back the fans they lost from the 94 strike. They loved seeing the homerun race, because it got people watching. Even though they knew those guys were on something. Did they do anything about it? Not at all. So if they are going to allow it to go on, then is it really cheating? Don't people in all sports push things to the limit of what they are allowed to do? Baseball allowed this to happen, and if they didn't turn their head to it, then we wouldn't have had all this problems. We wouldn't have two future hall of famers in Bonds, and Clemens thinking well we can get away with this since baseball is letting it happen. Even though they would have been hall of famers without it. If you let players be able to do it, and do nothing to try to stop it then it is going to happen. I don't think we should blame the players for doing something to make them better, when baseball was allowing it.

Baseball screwed up and cheated its players and us fans by allowing it to go on. I blame baseball more than I do the players for letting it happen. Since baseball let it go on, I believe you should let the guys who would have been hall of famers anyways be in. As you can tell I think the whole witch hunt to catch the guys was stupid. Baseball should have been doing something back then, and not waiting until it got its fans back and then try to act like its doing the right thing trying to catch them. Many more people who probably did and have not been caught, and unless you can catch everyone who ever did then I think its pointless to keep trying. They learned and have something in place now, they need to realize they screwed up and just focus on making sure it doesn't happen again in todays age. Baseball as a whole was different during that time because of baseball letting it happen.

I am not saying I agree with the guys for doing that. I just don't blame them as much as I blame baseball. If baseball did was it should have done then it wouldn't have been such of a common thing like it was. Baseball allowed it to be a cheaters game, which raises the question once again if it was cheating since baseball let it go on?

My question is if it is really cheating when baseball had nothing in place to even try to stop it? Usually to help stop cheating you have refs enforce the rules on the field, and then you off the field you have people investigate and have drug testing like they do now to make sure it is an even playing field. Baseball and Bud Selig KNEW they had all kinds of players who were doing these things. However they did NOTHING to try to stop it. They were still trying to get back the fans they lost from the 94 strike. They loved seeing the homerun race, because it got people watching. Even though they knew those guys were on something. Did they do anything about it? Not at all. So if they are going to allow it to go on, then is it really cheating? Don't people in all sports push things to the limit of what they are allowed to do? Baseball allowed this to happen, and if they didn't turn their head to it, then we wouldn't have had all this problems. We wouldn't have two future hall of famers in Bonds, and Clemens thinking well we can get away with this since baseball is letting it happen. Even though they would have been hall of famers without it. If you let players be able to do it, and do nothing to try to stop it then it is going to happen. I don't think we should blame the players for doing something to make them better, when baseball was allowing it.

Baseball screwed up and cheated its players and us fans by allowing it to go on. I blame baseball more than I do the players for letting it happen. Since baseball let it go on, I believe you should let the guys who would have been hall of famers anyways be in. As you can tell I think the whole witch hunt to catch the guys was stupid. Baseball should have been doing something back then, and not waiting until it got its fans back and then try to act like its doing the right thing trying to catch them. Many more people who probably did and have not been caught, and unless you can catch everyone who ever did then I think its pointless to keep trying. They learned and have something in place now, they need to realize they screwed up and just focus on making sure it doesn't happen again in todays age. Baseball as a whole was different during that time because of baseball letting it happen.

I am not saying I agree with the guys for doing that. I just don't blame them as much as I blame baseball. If baseball did was it should have done then it wouldn't have been such of a common thing like it was. Baseball allowed it to be a cheaters game, which raises the question once again if it was cheating since baseball let it go on?

If you're cheating on your wife, and even if she finds out, and you still cheat on here, is it still cheating?

Yep, it was cheating and the players knew it. If there was nothing wrong with it, then just admit you did it. Why lie?

If you're cheating on your wife, and even if she finds out, and you still cheat on here, is it still cheating?

If you stick a needle in your tail and no one is around to witness it, is it considered cheating?

Yep, it was cheating and the players knew it. If there was nothing wrong with it, then just admit you did it. Why lie?

You all three are right. I tried my best to give a good argument for them, but it failed haha. Cheating defintely is cheating no matter the circumstances.

I do have a serious question because I don't know this. Was there a rule in baseball about not being able to use that stuff during that time? Obviously I know there is now since they have stuff in place if someone does, but was there back then? I really don't know and wanted to know?