Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds @ Astros Series 7/23 thru 7/25/2012

Featured Replies

  • Replies 461
  • Views 44.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like a good time to extend the bunt conversation.

 

Seriously, I got to thinking - what are the stats on scoring when bunting with no outs and runners on 1st and 2nd versus how many times a team scores when they just hit away. My guess was it is pretty close with perhaps a slight advantage to bunting over hitting away. But I would like to see the numbers. So I hit the good old google button and went to work. I found this article.

 

The Baseball Analysts: Empirical Analysis of Bunting

 

Guess what? You are actually more likely to score a run hitting away with runners on 1st and 2nd with 0 outs than if there are runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.

 

In fact, in this article they say a sacrifice bunt is a very poor strategy in almost every circumstance in MLB.

This looks like a good time to extend the bunt conversation.

 

Seriously, I got to thinking - what are the stats on scoring when bunting with no outs and runners on 1st and 2nd versus how many times a team scores when they just hit away. My guess was it is pretty close with perhaps a slight advantage to bunting over hitting away. But I would like to see the numbers. So I hit the good old google button and went to work. I found this article.

 

The Baseball Analysts: Empirical Analysis of Bunting

 

Guess what? You are actually more likely to score a run hitting away with runners on 1st and 2nd with 0 outs than if there are runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.

 

In fact, in this article they say a sacrifice bunt is a very poor strategy in almost every circumstance in MLB.

 

You're interpreting that table wrong. That number is how many runs you can expect to score in those situations.

 

I posted an article a few days ago with a table with the percentage of scoring 1 run in different situations, not how many runs you are expected to score in the situations. That's the difference.

 

Here's the link...

 

Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong - Jonah Keri - Google Books

I don't think anyone took the comments that way. It's just that some seem to overstate the importance of bunting.

 

The importance of bunting is that when the situation arises, you have to be able to execute it. That's all I'm trying to say. Heck, little league players learn these skills at a very young age. These are pros that are getting millions of dollars to execute in a situation where it would benefit their team, and they are failing miserably. Twist it any way you want, it's part of the game and PROFESSIONALS SHOULD BE ABLE TO EXECUTE IT, WHEN NEEDED.

  • Author

A little lesson for those who tend to screw up the quote feature. When you want to BOLD part of the text, DON'T BOLD any of the . It just jacks everything up. I'm tired of fixing all the post. I'm going to start deleting the post if you can't use the post feature correctly.

Bailey gets out of minor jam. 0-0 end of 1. Everyone tired from last night or something. :D

So...nobody's going to comment on the bunt????

So...nobody's going to comment on the bunt????

 

:lol: :lol: I was waiting for it.

The importance of bunting is that when the situation arises, you have to be able to execute it. That's all I'm trying to say. Heck, little league players learn these skills at a very young age. These are pros that are getting millions of dollars to execute in a situation where it would benefit their team, and they are failing miserably. Twist it any way you want, it's part of the game and PROFESSIONALS SHOULD BE ABLE TO EXECUTE IT, WHEN NEEDED.
No argument on that point, but some here are still overstating its importance.
  • Author

Bailey just got squeezed big time.

Homer keeps working digging himself into and out of the hole.

No idea about why Johnson got made on that strikeout with the bat on his shoulder; the pitch was straight down the middle.

Come on offense; time for some insurance.

Mesoraco is running around the bases but don't let that stop your riveting discussion about how you keep the score card.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.