Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds @ Astros Series 7/23 thru 7/25/2012

Featured Replies

I love this bunting conversation. Reds gotta be clippin along pretty good if getting down sac bunts is the topic of debate.

  • Replies 461
  • Views 44.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love this bunting conversation. Reds gotta be clippin along pretty good if getting down sac bunts is the topic of debate.

 

Just the Reds? What about Dusty?

Just the Reds? What about Dusty?

 

Uh. He's the manager of the REDS, so that would be inclusive.

Uh. He's the manager of the REDS, so that would be inclusive.

 

How long have you read these threads? Dusty's been blamed for more losses, and now wins, than Cordero when he was closing.

 

Additionally, if this is a team that is going to make the playoffs, and possibly a run, your ability to bunt will be important.

Reds are 3rd out of NL teams in Sac bunts. Leave average is 37, they have 45.

 

I think that number is more a reflection of the manager's mindset than an indication of their success or lack thereof in sacrificing. I would bet that the teams that sacrifice a lot have managers that like to play the game close to the vest and bunt a lot with runners on. How many times have they been unsuccessful? I doubt there is a stat for that.

I love this bunting conversation. Reds gotta be clippin along pretty good if getting down sac bunts is the topic of debate.

 

It should have been in last night's game and any game that they trail in 2-1 in the 8th. This team is not a good enough hitting team to not be able to move runners when the manager asks them to.

I think that number is more a reflection of the manager's mindset than an indication of their success or lack thereof in sacrificing. I would bet that the teams that sacrifice a lot have managers that like to play the game close to the vest and bunt a lot with runners on. How many times have they been unsuccessful? I doubt there is a stat for that.

 

"I would bet that the teams that sacrifice a lot have managers that like to bunt a lot with runners on."

 

How did you ever come up with that logic?

Again, that doesn't tell us much. Is there anywhere that shows # of failed bunts? Not just for the Reds. I'm curious to know how bad all of MLB is on bunting.

 

You would need to find a statistician to find out something like that. I'm not sure who would even keep such data.

I love this bunting conversation. Reds gotta be clippin along pretty good if getting down sac bunts is the topic of debate.

 

I looked for like 45 minutes today to try and find more stats on bunts to end this non sense. Didn't find much data on bunts. Maybe because it's NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

"I would bet that the teams that sacrifice a lot have managers that like to bunt a lot with runners on."

 

 

How did you ever come up with that logic?

 

I must have borrowed some of your logic.

I looked for like 45 minutes today to try and find more stats on bunts to end this non sense. Didn't find much data on bunts. Maybe because it's NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

 

Is it not that important to us or not that important to the teams? If you feel it's not that important to the teams then why does Dusty try to sacrifice runners as much as he does?

I must have borrowed some of your logic.

 

No, my logic is useful...

How long have you read these threads? Dusty's been blamed for more losses, and now wins, than Cordero when he was closing.

 

Additionally, if this is a team that is going to make the playoffs, and possibly a run, your ability to bunt will be important.

 

 

Sure, getting down a bunt in certain situations is important. I just don't recall anyone ever saying the key to a championship is bunting, bunting, bunting.

Is it not that important to us or not that important to the teams? If you feel it's not that important to the teams then why does Dusty try to sacrifice runners as much as he does?
Because Dusty manages like guys did in the 1970s and early 1980s, the era in which he played and when speed and small ball were more in vogue.

Sure, getting down a bunt in certain situations is important. I just don't recall anyone ever saying the key to a championship is bunting, bunting, bunting.

 

Likewise, in this thread.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.