Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds @ Padres Series 7/5 thru 7/8/2012

Featured Replies

TERRIBLE move to bring in Marshall. He is simply put, awful. You need a win bad, you stay with your hot guy and right now that is ML. Terrible loss. I can't recall when I've been this upset so many times in a season over managerial mistakes. DB looked liked he was a having a meltdown when he was bending over in the 9th. Team needs to dig deep and do some soul searching.

 

So you're going to keep running Latos out there no matter the pitch count?

  • Replies 450
  • Views 46.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all of you wanting to lay this one in Dumsty's lap, and I'm not saying he isn't part of the reason, you can't have runners at 3rd with less than 2 outs and not score and think you'll win games simply on the arms you run out there very often. Someone forgot to tell the Padres they stink.

 

The only thing I will retort to UKMF is this: Remember when we were debating Chapman closing and you were vehemently against it? You said multiple times that I was "discounting Marshall" as a quality closer? How we lookin'? Dude is a situational lefty. No more, no less.

I only have one issue with Dumsty last night that really bugs me. You have Heisey at 3rd, Hannigan at the plate with one out, Latos on deck. Why not squeeze there? Hannigan handles the bat well enough to do that. Negates the change because it's easy to bunt off speed stuff. Your team is not at home in the friendly confines of Great American Crackerbox. You haven't exactly been an offensive juggernaut since you've stepped off the plane on this trip. Take what they give you run by run. Reds can't continue to have bonehead baserunning gaffes and not execute the little things offensively and stay in this race. I don't care how many quality starts they have.

What was the blown call? I fell asleep and it's looking like that isn't a bad thing.

 

Spindoc, I don't recall UKMF specifically saying it had to be Marshall. I think he was just saying it didn't have to be Chapman. Chapman has blown his share just like Marshall has and will even though some people thought the other team knew they lost when he came in.

How bad would this team be if they played in a pitchers park? They can only score when they hit bombs.

What was the blown call? I fell asleep and it's looking like that isn't a bad thing.

 

Spindoc, I don't recall UKMF specifically saying it had to be Marshall. I think he was just saying it didn't have to be Chapman. Chapman has blown his share just like Marshall has and will even though some people thought the other team knew they lost when he came in.

 

The 1st place umpire called Maybin out on a slow roller to Phillips. Maybin slid into first head first, but he was clearly safe. It was the 2nd out of the inning, and a huge break for the Reds.

What was the blown call? I fell asleep and it's looking like that isn't a bad thing.

 

Spindoc, I don't recall UKMF specifically saying it had to be Marshall. I think he was just saying it didn't have to be Chapman. Chapman has blown his share just like Marshall has and will even though some people thought the other team knew they lost when he came in.

At that point in the season, it was absolutely true. And he specifically said Marshall. But that's not my point, he is a lefty specialist. I'm not sure now long Dumsty will take to determine that. Marshall has a nasty breaking pitch that is a nightmare for left handed hitters. As cruddy as Bray and Marshall have been lately, not counting Chapman, what wronghanded options do the REds have?

At that point in the season, it was absolutely true. And he specifically said Marshall. But that's not my point, he is a lefty specialist. I'm not sure now long Dumsty will take to determine that. Marshall has a nasty breaking pitch that is a nightmare for left handed hitters. As cruddy as Bray and Marshall have been lately, not counting Chapman, what wronghanded options do the REds have?

 

According to Lance McCalister Marshall gave up 1 run in his last 19 games going into last night. He hasn't been terrible.

According to Lance McCalister Marshall gave up 1 run in his last 19 games going into last night. He hasn't been terrible.

 

 

I believe spindoc's point was you can't claim Marshall as a capable closer, and then say it was stupid to bring him into the game last night.

At that point in the season, it was absolutely true. And he specifically said Marshall. But that's not my point, he is a lefty specialist. I'm not sure now long Dumsty will take to determine that. Marshall has a nasty breaking pitch that is a nightmare for left handed hitters. As cruddy as Bray and Marshall have been lately, not counting Chapman, what wronghanded options do the REds have?

 

With as bad as Bray has been the Reds should consider bringing up Donnie Joseph from AAA if they want to have a lefty if not bring back Hoover...Bray and Marshall are both situational guys, Joseph is a guy that can get righties and lefties out...

I believe spindoc's point was you can't claim Marshall as a capable closer, and then say it was stupid to bring him into the game last night.

 

Got it. UKMF has stated as I have that the "closer" is over rated. Marshall would be a serviceable to good closer like all of the other options the Reds have. I for one have no problem with Marshall entering when he did.

 

Edit...Spindoc said as cruddy as Marshall and Bray have been so I stand by my point that he hasn't been that cruddy.

Got it. UKMF has stated as I have that the "closer" is over rated. Marshall would be a serviceable to good closer like all of the other options the Reds have. I for one have no problem with Marshall entering when he did.

 

Edit...Spindoc said as cruddy as Marshall and Bray have been so I stand by my point that he hasn't been that cruddy.

If he can't get a right handed hitter out, do you think that's serviceable?

Marshall:

 

vs LH .256

vs RH .259

Marshall:

 

vs LH .256

vs RH .259

 

So he isnt a specialist exactly but those numbers arent very good either...

There was no reason for Latos to be out of the game if Dumbsty is going to bring Marshall in against righties. I took it more as a what the hell dusty than as a shot at marshall.

 

Also please stop trying to act like you know anything about me.

 

When the Reds signed Marshall you said that he was one of the 2-3 best relievers in the game and a shutdown setup man. Why wouldn't you want one of the best relievers in the game and a shutdown setup man in there to start the 8th?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.