Ryle 69 Simon Kenton 48

Ryle wins again in their second meeting of year with Simon Kenton. Lauren Schwartz led all scorers with 3 Ryle players reaching double digits. The Raiders thumped Dunbar and handily beat Male before falling to eventual champion Boyd County to land in the consolation game at the Traditional Bank Classic in Lexington.

Simon Kenton handed host Lexington Catholic a loss earlier in the tournament and then beat Mercy before falling to Highlands, then Ryle. A good showing by NKy teams, but falling short of the championship.

I’m super disappointed in SK after this game. SK seemed super disinterested in this game. Starting with the coaches. SK played awesome against Mercy beating the #1 team in the state. Then had a hard fought game with Highlands. They can compete with anyone including Ryle. But the game seemed over in the first quarter. I have seen Stowers coach enough to know he has his own personal and unique style. But like I said, I was disappointed greatly in how this game went after SK showed such great stuff throughout the rest of the tourney. I was totally expecting SK to come out and give Ryle a great game.

Can we stop calling Mercy #1 bc the coaches preseason poll in the courier had them there?

Lexington Herald also has them #1. Both are coaches voting polls. I realize BGP did not have them there, but BGP is just a few select voters, correct? I think until the coaches have a new vote they should officially get that title. Just my opinion.

Do the coaches do a second voting for the media at some point? Or is that over until post season?

The biggest issue is they don't update them. No coach who is paying attention would vote Mercy #1 at this point. I am not trying to take anything away from this win, Mercy is a quality opponent and this is a great win for SK....but calling a team #1 for a month+ bc nobody (except BGP) updates the polls on a weekly basis just seems kinda silly.