BluegrassPreps.com 1st Region Week in Review

The top teams in Region 1 are pretty good. Mayfield made the BluegrassPrep.com preseason rankings coming in no. 18, but they don't have the topspot in the regions. At least not yet. Paducah Tighlman holds that spot until someone in the 1st takes it from them. But there are a quite a few teams who feel they can this year. Some strong statements have already been made by Graves County and Marshall County. This week already has some exciting matchups between the top teams, we could see some shake up in the standings by this time next week.

1. Paducah Tilghman – Coach Roderick Thomas

2017-18 record: 2-1

Weeks record: 2-1

The Blue Tornado opened up the season against region 2 powerhouse Christian County. PT looked terrible in the first half, before making a decent comeback in the second. It looked like the Tornado was going to get blown out on their own court. They did a good job of adjusting on offense, but they allowed D. Ware from Christian County to do pretty much whatever he wanted. Thomas was the only player to score in double digits for PT.

The next two games went much smoother as the Tornado annihilated Carlisle County and a decent North Hardin team. Rodriguez Thomas and Jerome Reed led the Tornado to victory. The next two games for Paducah Tilghman will be at Murray and a tough game at Warren Central.

Paducah Tilghman will stay atop the Region 1 standings this week, but a big game versus Graves County next week can change that.

2. Mayfield – Coach Chris Guhy

2017-18 record: 0-0

Week’s Record: 0-0

Mayfield hasn’t played a game this week. Scheduling anticipates that their football team would be playing. They start their season on Dec 7 against Caldwell County.

3. Graves County – Coach Joshua Frick

Week’s Record: 2-1

Some believe that the top teams in Region 1 are better than the top teams in Region 2. This has not been the case for quite some time, but, Graves County made a case that might be true. The Eagles dominated University Heights out of the gate, with Ryan Mathis and Brenden Young leading the way with a big night. Young set a Marshall County Hoopfest record with 23 rebounds in the game. Mathis was the definite leader on the floor. While UHA did storm back, Graves held their composure and finished strong for the win.

Graves had great balanced scoring in their win against another Region 2 team, Livingston Central. Four players scored in double digits and eight players scored overall.

They did lose to Blackman High School from Tennessee who are 8-0 and haven’t been challenged on the year. Graves has 3 more games this week against Murray, Calloway County, and Hopkins County Central.

4. Marshall County – Terry Birdsong

Marshall County started out their season strong with wins against Muhlenberg County and Massac County (IL). They also played BGP#7 Lexington Catholic tough and lost in 45-40 in a tough one in the MC Hoopfest. Reed led the Marshalls with 12 points and 7 rebounds in the back and forth game.

Aaron Reed is emerging as the team’s go to guy early. He had a double/double (18/12) versus Massac County leading Marshall.

Big games coming up on Tuesday and Friday hosting Carlisle County and at McCracken County. If the Marshall D plays like it did against Lex Catholic, I see the Marshalls coming away with the wins.

5. McCracken County – Coach Burlin Brower

2017-18 record: 2-0

Week’s Record: 2-0

McCracken is another region 1 team that has started the season well. The Mustangs rolled to a easy win over Livingston Central at home. Then at the Marshall County Hoopfest, they found themselves down 22-10 after the 1st Quarter and slowly worked their way back to finally take the lead 62-61 with a couple minutes left in the fourth. Jackson Sivills lead the Mustangs with 20 points and Cartwright, Stonecipher, and Winsett added 15, 14, and 13 respectively.

This was a great gut check for McCracken and it is great to see the game plan still working after losing so much from last year. While Henderson isn’t as good as they were in previous years, this is a great win for the Mustangs. They will look to stay undefeated as the have 3 home games this week against Calloway, Marshall, and Fulton. The game against the Marshalls looks to be the toughest obstacle to staying unbeaten.

6. Murray – Coach Dior Curtis

2017-18 record: 2-0

Key Returners: Hunter Utley

Murray’s new coach this year, Dior Curtis has had a great start so far this season. Murray completely dominated Hancock County to the tune of 89-47. Noah Merriss and TaVichael Strickland led 4 different players in double figures with 17 points each. Not many expected that to be the final score in this one.

Livingston Central was a much closer game, but Murray still pulled out the win 59-53. But, there is a good chance Murray is below .500 by this time next week. Tough early test for the Tigers as they will go to Graves County and then host Paducah Tilghman. After that they will have to go to Union, which is a less challenging game than the other two, but they are also 2-0 right now.

7. Calloway County – Coach Brad Cleaver

2016-17 record: 2-0

The Lakers are another region 1 team that has started the year off well. Calloway is 2-0 after wins against Ballard Memorial and Central High, Tn. Both were close games, but the Lakers came out on top. The upcoming week has 3 tough games though. McCracken County, Hickman County and Graves County all wait for the Lakers this week. They could make a big splash or find themselves in a 2-3 hole.

8. Carlisle County – Coach Brian O’Neil

2017-18 record: 1-1

Week’s Record: 1-1

The Comets started out with a strong win against St. Mary. They looked good and played well behind leader Trey Wilson and Reese Anderson. Both scored 18 points to lead Carlisle. Then came the chance to prove they belong in the top teams in Region 1 as they hosted Paducah Tilghman. They were completely dominated in a 77-31 loss that puts more doubt that they belong in the top tier teams in region 1. Not a single player was able to score in double figures. Hoping that this was just a bad night for the Comets and they regroup and play well. They have a tough game against Marshall on Tuesday and then Hickman County and CCA over the weekend.

9. Ballard Memorial – Coach Marla Cooper

Ballard had a great opening to the season beating Livingston Central 81-77 and then crushing Fulton City 82-36. They also lost a close game to Calloway County at home. Dequin Donlow (19.7) and Khalil Griffin (15.3) are leading this squad who has 4 players averaging 10+ points per game.

The offense will look to continue to in two very winnable games this week against Christian Fellowship and St. Mary

10. Hickman County – Coach Jimmy Long

2017-18 record: 1-2

Week’s Record: 1-2

The Falcons didn’t have quite the success as the other top teams in Region 1. In fact, they struggled to find any offense in the first game of the season against Murray. Dalton Jewel was the only player who seemingly could find the basket leading the way with 29 points. The rest of the team only scored 18 points in route to a 89-47 loss. Things didn’t get any better against Lake County, TN losing 82-38.

They did get their first win of the year as the offense finally clicked and the Falcons scored 78 points. Jewel led the way with 21 followed by Devontae Alexander who add 18.

Hickman needs to keep the ship righted if they don’t want to fall any further in the rankings. They will play Gleason, TN as well as region 1 games against Carlisle County and Calloway County.

11. Fulton City – Coach Jon Dillard

2017-18 record: 1-2

Week’s Record: 1-2

The Bulldogs may have won a game, but it was not in the manner that they liked. Fulton City defeated a team that hasn’t won a game in 18 months..by 4 points. They then lost two games that were not close to Ballard Memorial and Todd County Central. Brennan Walker is the leading scorer so far this year averaging 12.3 ppg. The Bulldogs have 2 games this week against out of state teams.

12. Fulton County – Coach Jamie Madding

2017-18 record: 0-1

Week’s Record: 0-1

The Pilots lost a close game to Trigg County in the only game they have played this year. They were led by Andreous Smith who scored 25 points and pulled down 7 rebounds. Even though the Pilots lost this game, they showed good heart and have a great chance at winning their next two games at CCA and Christian Fellowship. McCracken County however will be a huge challenge for Fulton Co on Saturday.

13. St. Mary – Coach Greg Overstreet

2017-18 record: 0-2

Week’s Record: 0-2

St. Mary had a tough go of it in their first two games of the season, losing to both Carlisle County and Hickman County. They better look to up their game if they want to win against Community Christian this week. They also play Ballard Memorial and Livingston Central

14. Community Christian Paducah – Coach Daniel Durrett / Rhet McMullen

2017-18 record: 0-3

Week’s Record: 0-3

Community Christian’s woes continue into 2017 season. They came oh so close to winning their first game in almost 2 years when they opened the season against Fulton City. Games against Portland Christian and Beth Haven were not very close. They hope to find that elusive win against St. Mary, Fulton Couty, or Carlisle County this week.

Player of the Week

Dequin Donlow, Ballard Memorial – Averaged 19.7 ppg over 3 games leading the Bombers to a 2-1 record.

A couple of things. Not sure how Tilghman can be considered #1 losing to Christian County as bad as they did with us still missing two starters.

I'd put graves first. I went to their game with UHA and the 2nd and 3rd best players for UHA had abysmal nights. Hollowell and McGowan played terribly yet they still almost won.

I'd put Graves at the top. They're just solid. Then i'd put Tilghman.

Graves led against a top level team in Tennessee for a half and held tough against them. I think it's a school from murfreesboro who is 9-0 to start the year and went 25-6 last year.

That's my two cents. I REALLY appreciate these. Looking forward to the region 2 take.

A couple of things. Not sure how Tilghman can be considered #1 losing to Christian County as bad as they did with us still missing two starters.

I'd put graves first. I went to their game with UHA and the 2nd and 3rd best players for UHA had abysmal nights. Hollowell and McGowan played terribly yet they still almost won.

I'd put Graves at the top. They're just solid. Then i'd put Tilghman.

Graves led against a top level team in Tennessee for a half and held tough against them. I think it's a school from murfreesboro who is 9-0 to start the year and went 25-6 last year.

That's my two cents. I REALLY appreciate these. Looking forward to the region 2 take.

To follow up it is early and I think PT, Graves, and Mayfield are the top 3. Marshall and McCracken slightly below them.