Bath County 2016

Ram

Bath County was actually one of the better looking 4 seeds I had seen play Belfry in the First Round. Kids had nice size and overall athletic builds to them.

Unfortunately Bath's biggest issue is the thing you see so many rural schools struggle with. A lack of overall depth and speed... and it also seemed as though they were trying to force themselves to have a semblance of balance when their skill level didn't allow for it.

They lose the Swartz kid that was their best runner but they do return his younger brother. The Rogers kid is a nice athlete at receiver.

Bath needs to continue to improve numbers, they should have a puncher's chance for a 3 seed in their District.. and with coaching turnover and graduation at Pike Central and Lawrence County.. a 3 seed could give them at least a fighting chance at a playoff win.

Bath County 2016 will be a good news and bad news situation. First for the bad...the bad news is having to replace 11 Seniors that played a lot on both sides of the ball..but that's about it. Now for the good news and there are several good news points:

#1-several opponents on the schedule lost even more. Fairview (Roy, Washington, and their line), Rowan, and West Carter (Brown and Hanshaw were 2 of the best in the district last season) are 3 that come to mind.

#2-The 2nd year of the new staff. Things are MUCH different and the kids have bought in. The depth is increasing.

#3-The JV and Freshmen teams both posted winning records last season.

Some will say that #3 isn't as big a deal but I do not buy it. I think it means a lot mentally. Bath County will dress about 50 next season and for a large 2A/ small 3A county school that's not bad. The team should have at least a .500 record next season and will be in the playoff mix.

The program will continue to build momentum as Coach Poynter and his staff have shown the kids what can be accomplished. Support for the program in the community is very high and is essential to having a successful program in a small town.

Bath County 2017 and 2018 is when this team will contend and have a shot at the district title both seasons. The current sophomores are thin in numbers but are solid football players. The current freshmen are loaded with numbers, size, and talent at most every position. The incoming freshman aren't far behind having a solid middle school season and look to add 15-20 kids with size and talent as well. 50-60 kids (maybe more) will be playing those seasons and if the increasing numbers in the youth program hold up that will continue.

I was hoping Poynter might be pulled to the Moco job, but that would make to much sense for Moco and I'm sure they wouldn't hire him.

The guy has turned around several programs, that I thought were beyond fixing. He simply wins.

@Altcat and @All the Right Moves those are both good posts that are both on the money. Bath is in a good spot to grow as a program over the next couple years.

Didn't Bath also have a Middle School team two years ago that went undefeated or only had one loss until they played the Belfry buzzsaw in the State Tournament?

That should be a nice young crop of talent coming up if so.

The current freshman class is that group. They did run into that Belfry team at Letcher Central in the regional finals. When mixed with the current sophomores and the incoming freshman class they will be a very solid team for 2017 and 2018. They may see Belfry in the regional finals again.