Shelby County 11 Covington Catholic 0 (6 innings)

After a heart breaking loss the night before and then the fire alarm, CovCath slept throughout this entire game.

Now by no means am I offering an excuse for this loss and Shelby County is indeed an impressive team that can hit and hit well, plays great "D and more importantly has some serious speed on the base baths. I just honestly think CovCath would have given Shelby County a better game (not saying at all they would have, could have won) if not for the 4am wake up call.

The Good: Really not much. The best think I can say is that CovCath had men on bases as they did against St. X the night before but couldn't get their runner home. Heck in the 2nd inning, Schlagbaum opened the inning with a triple but he was left there by his teammates.

The Bad: CovCath just didn't seem to play with any emotion today.

The UGLY: Again the dreaded stat of LOB's bites the Colonels in the butt . CovCath left 11 men on bases and had runner in scoring position (2nd base or better) in every inning but the last (5th).

Pee Wee's Place Offensive play of the game: The hitting of Klein and Gerwe both going 2-3.

BAWAC Inc. Defensive play of the game: When a team hits the ball as well as SC did today (13 Hits) they don't allow you to make great "D" plays in the field.

Grubers Grill star of the game: Honestly in a 11-0 run rule game, I can't give a star of the game to a CovCath player, but WOW #26 Sandfer (sp?) of SC went 4/4 today with a triple, 2 doubles and a single.

CovCath pitching:

Gerwe (L) 1 2/3 innings 25 pitches 12 PA 5 hits 6 runs 6 earned runs 1 walk 1 balk and 1 wp

Hellman 4 1/3 innings 69 pitches 26 PA 8 hits 5 runs 5 earned runs 1 K and 2 hbp

CovCath hitting:

Siemer 3 PA 1 walk 1 sb and reached base via E 6

Warning 2 PA 1 walk and 1 hbp

Amor 1 PA

Klein 3 PA and 2 hits

Nienaber CR

Gerwe 3 PA 2 hits and 1 K

Taylor CR

Martin 3 PA

Lankheit 3 PA and 1 hit (double)

Reese CR

Severson 3 PA 1 hit and 1 walk

Schlagbaum 2 PA 1 hit and 1 K

Hoffer 1 PA

Stein 1 PA and 1 K

Grosser 1 PA

Lonnaman 1 PA and 1 walk

CovCath records falls to 12-9 and next plays Campbell Count @ Campbell County 5pm Monday April 26, that is if the weather improves

BTW I had a blast prior to the start of the game today. While Coaches Krump and Eck were working on some hitting with the starters, Theoldguy put on a glove and caught for one of the Mangers hitting some ground balls to Mr. Shumate, Mr. Arzen and others.

At first the young men seemed hesitant to throw the ball hard to Theoldguy but after yelling at them that I had played ball longer than any of them had been alive and maybe their parents also, they started throwing the ball harder and harder to me. One of them threw the ball low and away and Theoldguy in years long ago fashion, just scooped up the ball backhanded like it was no big deal and the kids nodded with approval and told me good job. :thumb:

It was the first time in a long, long time that I had a baseball glove on and it felt great. :clap: Thanks guy's for letting me have some fun today!

CovCath is a top notch team and hate to hear about the alarm at 4 in the morning. Shelby has played good this year just coming up on the short side of the game but played really good this weekend. Hope the boys see how good they can be and carry it foward. As far as the oldguy I wish i would have come over and talk with you. I love to read your post on here and it is great to see people love this game of baseball so much.

CovCath is a top notch team and hate to hear about the alarm at 4 in the morning. Shelby has played good this year just coming up on the short side of the game but played really good this weekend. Hope the boys see how good they can be and carry it foward. As far as the oldguy I wish i would have come over and talk with you. I love to read your post on here and it is great to see people love this game of baseball so much.

I too am sorry we didn't hook up, it always nice to talk to someone who loves the game as much as I do.

Yes, I really love the game, but man am I tired right now and paying for it by being so sore. I drove back home to Boone County after the St. Xavier game and got home at around 2am and then got up at 7am to go back down to watch the SC vs. CovCath game.

BTW did you hear who won the St. X vs Tates Creek game?

Good luck the rest of the way baseball4life!

Tates Creek

Tates Creek "officially" beats St. Xavier 6 to 5 today. Gott had the start for TC, Loehnert for X. Tates Creek jumped out 6 to 0 in the 1st. Then X scored 1 in the 4th on Gott. Then Gott went out the next and X added 2 more. TC re-entered Gott and X added 2 more to make it 6 to 5. It was still 6 to 5 in the 7th when Matt Spalding drove in the tying run with 2 outs...

Then lightning struck and they called it. The rule is that it is the score from the last completed inning so St. X comes up short even though they had 2 runners on after they tied it up in the 7th.