Everything posted by Claude Henry Smmoott
-
Ky All-Star Game
I think the format is a bigger and better switch than the change in location. The game will succeed more with fewer days of commitment and less time between games. I think it is a great decision. Now we need to win a few of them...
-
Mike Allen new Coach at Frankfort
He was a great player in high school. The last minute of the game with Warren East is still one of the most unreal endings I have seen in a state tournament game.
-
Transfer Question
With no change of residence, I believe they would be ineligible for a year had they played varsity athletics at the school.
-
Indiana 104 Kentucky 87
I must agree with neerfan. It is one thing to miss a practice or two due to school or personal commitments. But to miss a game, to me, makes a player ineligible for the team. The games are scheduled well in advance to avoid a scheduling conflict.
-
Ky vs Ind
Indiana wins 104-80. It was a pretty close game throughout the second half. It seemed as though every time we made a run, Indiana went back inside or to the glass to stop the momentum. I have no stats but I know Gray was Kentucky's leading scorer. I think we all knew it was going to be an uphill battle and it was.
-
Kentucky/Indiana All Star Classic Contest
1. KY 2. No 3. Queen 4. Brown 5. Ballinger TB - 6
-
Kentucky HS Basketball movie
The only reason I would vote against the Cuba Cubs (and the book is GREAT) is that it mirrors the Hoosiers movie too closely. I don't think the others have been told as often. That is why my choice is the '81 Simon Kenton team.
-
Kentucky HS Basketball movie
The Simon Kenton state champions from '81. That story is unique and inspiring.
-
07 King of the Bluegrass Tournament
20 games doesn't seem like many when you start looking at tournaments. That is not enough games. I like it that Kentucky allows teams 21 games plus two tournaments (up to 4 games in each tourney).
-
KY/IN All Star Game Tickets
June 16 in BG and June 23 in Indy.
-
KY/IN All Star Game Tickets
I will continue to attend regardless of the host city. All I need is a good seat and a good place for some pregame grub.
-
KY/IN All Star Game Tickets
I do. I drove to Owensboro for years and have been to the game each year in BG. No matter where they play, it will be inconvenient for someone. Since most people on this site are from the eastern part of the state, I would expect there to be some complaints. I like the city, the arena and they do a great job as a host.
-
KY/IN All Star Game Tickets
I don't think any group/sponsor from Louisville or Lexington is lining up to make an effort to outbid Bowling Green. They do a great job and Diddle Arena is a good place to play the games. Rupp and Freedom Hall would be too big.
-
Monique Reid commits to UL
Good pickup for the Cards. I think she might be the most gifted player in the state.
-
AP All State Team
Funny. It would be great to watch regardless of who wins.
-
AP All State Team
Daddy...by 20!!! I made my post with the point being there are some very good players and great athletes on that second team. I honestly don't believe either team would win by 20. I have seen every player on both teams multiple times with the exception of Ratliff. I wish we could arrange the game and you would make the second team a 20 point underdog. You would have my wager for sure.
-
All Star Team Announced per Courier Journal
Not these days but that 1941 team was pretty solid. State champs and 5 on the all star team. Although they did take an L vs. Indiana that year. I guess you can't win them all.
-
AP All State Team
The first team is Queen, London, Novosel, Snowden and Gray. Four from the Lexington/Scott County area plus Queen...interesting. I like those kids a lot but I believe I would take the second team if they played a game.
-
2007 Ky. All-Stars
I understand conflicts but to not call or contact the coach in any way is inexcusable. There are other girls who would have loved the tryout spot. This game doesn't count towards the total that seniors are allowed to play so that is no reason to not attend.
-
2007 Ky. All-Stars
This is the team that has been selected or this is your projection?
-
All State Teams
Lexington Herald-Leader First Team Name, school (first-place votes) Ht. Yr. Ppg. Rpg. Rebecca Gray, Scott Co. (45) 5-10 Sr. 25.6 6.3 Natalie Novosel, Lex. Catholic (1) 5-11 Jr. 17.9 7.5 Emily London, Lex. Christian (8) 5-7 Sr. 19.4 x-4.7 Emily Queen, Rose Hill (1) 6-1 Sr. 22.1 12.2 Keyla Snowden, Lex. Catholic (2) 5-7 Sr. 19.9 3.9 Monique Reid, Fern Creek (5) 6-1 Jr. 28.6 16.0 Hope Brown, North Hardin 5-4 Sr. 17.8 x-6.3 Elizabeth Campbell, Sacred Heart (2) 6-2 Sr. 17.5 9.6 Kristen Madden, Perry Co. Central (3) 6-1 Sr. 25.1 10.9 Ashley Rainey, Warren East (1) 6-2 So. 26.4 12.7 Second Team Whitney Ballinger, Carroll Co. (1) 6-1 Sr. 22.4 14.0 Tia Gibbs, Butler (1) 5-8 Jr. 19.7 7.9 Laura Terry, Rose Hill 6-1 Sr. 16.4 7.0 Haley Ratliff, Pike Co. Central (1) 5-9 Sr. 12.1 8.1 Ceira Ricketts, Fairdale 5-9 Jr. 19.1 6.9 Brittany Wilson, Manual 5-11 Jr. 17.0 11.0 Jessica Fortman, Russell (1) 6-1 Sr. 20.8 9.5 Ashley Jade Howard, Magoffin Co. (1) 5-5 Sr. 20.1 5.8 Thia Gholson, Assumption (1) 6-0 Sr. 13.1 9.1 Adia Mathies, Iroquois 5-9 So. 16.1 10.7 x-assists Honorable Mention Kendra Carroll, Paintsville; DeSarae Chambers, Mason Co.; Kelleshia Cook, Franklin-Simpson; Courtney Danis, Montgomery Co.; Samantha Drake, Nelson Co.; Esther Fleming, Shelby Valley; Raechele Gray, Shelby Co.; Tacarra Hayes, Marion Co.; Melly Heaton, Caldwell Co.; Janae Haward, Owensboro; Michaela Howard, Magoffin Co.; Megan Isaacs, Hart Co.; Amy Kurtz, Nelson Co.; Nicole Lutes, Breathitt Co.; Brittany Manns, Magoffin Co.; Wendi Messer, Knox Central; Chinwe Okoro, Russell; Meggie Prewitt, Montgomery Co.; Kristen Rowe, Cumberland Co.; Gwen Rucker, Henry Clay, Whitney Seals, Raceland; Samantha Sheeran, Central Hardin; Heather Sturdivant, Perry Co. Central; T.J. Thomas, Barren Co.; Lindsey Waters, McCreary Co. Louisville Courier Journal FIRST TEAM Player, school Ht. Yr. Ppg Rebecca Gray, Scott County 5-11 Sr. 25.7 Natalie Novosel, Lex. Catholic 6-0 Jr. 17.9 Monique Reid, Fern Creek 6-1 Jr. 28.9 Elizabeth Campbell, Sacred Heart 6-2 Sr. 17.5 Hope Brown, North Hardin 5-4 Sr. 19.0 Keyla Snowden, Lex. Catholic 5-8 Sr. 19.9 Emily Queen, Rose Hill 6-0 Sr. 22.0 Tia Gibbs, Butler 5-8 Jr. 20.8 Emily London, Lex. Christian 5-7 Sr. 19.4 Ashley Rainey, Warren East 6-1 So. 24.8 SECOND TEAM Player Ht. Cl. Brittany Wilson, Manual 5-11 Jr. Adia Mathies, Iroquois 5-8 So. Ceira Ricketts, Fairdale 5-8 Jr. Gwen Rucker, Henry Clay 6-2 Jr. Janae Howard, Owensboro 6-2 Jr. Thia Gholson, Assumption 6-1 Sr. Toccarra Hayes, Marion County 5-8 Jr. Megan Isaacs, Hart County 5-10 Jr. Briana Green, Lexington Catholic 5-8 Jr. Kelleshia Cook, Frank.-Simpson 5-8 Jr. THIRD TEAM Laura Terry, Rose Hill 6-0 Sr. Kristen Madden, Perry Central 6-0 Sr. Whitney Ballinger, Carroll County 6-1 Sr. Melly Heaton, Caldwell County 5-6 Sr. Jessica Fortman, Russell 6-0 Sr. Chloe Elam, Russellville 5-7 Sr. Lindsey Watters, McCreary Central 6-1 Sr. Whitney Hanley, Bullitt East 5-9 Jr. Haley Ratliff, Pike Central 5-8 Sr. Whitney Seals, Raceland 5-10 Sr. HONORABLE MENTION First Region – Kayla Cunningham, Calloway County; Pressley Doom, Marshall County; Jessica Holder, Marshall County. Second Region – Rikiah Gatlin, Christian County; Kari Jo Harris, Hopkins Central; Clarissa Houston, Union County; Alyse Poindexter, Henderson County; Rinesha Soaper, Henderson County. Third Region – Erin Adams, Ohio County; Brittany Bird, Grayson County; RaNisha Cason, Apollo; Heather Mitchell, Muhlenberg North; Whitney Odom, Apollo; Abby Steele, Muhlenberg North. Fourth Region –Kirsten Rowe, Cumberland County; Rachel Swisher, Franklin-Simpson; Bethany Spillman, Barren County; T.J. Thomas, Barren County. Fifth Region – Kylie Brady, Central Hardin; Samantha Drake, Nelson County; Lindsay Highbaugh, Hart County; Alex Jones, Elizabethtown; Alex Kurtz, Nelson County; Samantha Sheeran, Central Hardin. Sixth Region – Whitley Briggs, Fairdale; Kayla Hickman, Iroquois; Alden Krause, Presentation; Asia Mathies, Iroquois; Elizabeth Schuler, Holy Cross. Seventh Region – Jade Barber, Ballard; Teadra Elliott, Ballard; Chiquita Evans, Moore; Eileen Kennedy, Assumption; Caroline Klein, Sacred Heart; Antonia Slaughter, Christian Academy; Amanda Stovall, Assumption; Danielle Woodmore, Manual. Eighth Region – Raechele Gray, Shelby County; Lauren Jones, South Oldham; Erin McKee, Anderson County; Amber Morrison, Shelby County. Ninth Region – Katie Behrens, Boone County; Whitney Cundiff, Newport Central Catholic; Nicole Dickman, Notre Dame; Shannon Klei, Newport Central Catholic; Katie Tierney, Notre Dame. 10th Region – De'Sarae Chambers, Mason County; Courtney Danis, Montgomery County; Maggie Prewitt, Montgomery County. 11th Region – Anna Martin, Lexington Christian; Clara Mitchell, Lexington Christian; Kayla Moses, Scott County; Pilar Walker, Paul Dunbar. 12th Region – Tori Alcorn, Boyle County; Bev Harris, Burgin; Tasha Milby, Danville; Sarah Rowe, Rockcastle County; Heather Stearns, Wayne County. 13th Region – Page Jackson, Clay County; Wendi Messer, Knox Central. 14th Region – Nicole Lutes, Breathitt County; Kendall Noble, Breathitt County; Heather Sturdivant, Perry County Central. 15th Region – Kenda Carroll, Paintsville; Ester Fleming, Shelby Valley; Kayla Lowe, Pike Central; Ashley Howard, Magoffin County. 16th Region – Megan Hughes, Rowan County.
-
Rule/Changes suggestions for '08
Waiting until the ball hits the rim on free throws is an AWFUL rule. Officials rarely call players for being in the lane early and it takes blocking out a player completely out of the situation. What other times do players wait for the ball to hit the rim before they attempt to rebound the ball? I do like how the NCAA women line up for free throwa s with the lowest player one spot above the block.
-
Pettigrew for Mr. Basketball?
This is the first year that Mr. Basketball votes weren't turned in before the district tournaments started so to argue about past winners and their teams in the postseason is pointless. Voters were never able to consider the posteason. They used postseason performances from previous years and sometimes it swayed voters away from the best players (i.e. Walt Allen). Again, I think both kids are deserving and will succeed at the next level whether they win the golden basketball or not. I would still cast my vote for Mr. Pettigrew.
-
Pettigrew for Mr. Basketball?
I don't know if the description for the qualifications for the award are written anywhere. I think both players are very gifted and among the best we've seen in a few years. I would cast my vote for Pettigrew. I just think he is the better player of the two. That is who I think the award should be given to...the better player. Walls' team was clearly better, but that has nothing to do with who is the better player. Again, this is my opinion and I don't have a vote. I believe a lot of times, too many people give their votes to a player whose team had some postseason success and I think that penalizes kids who play for lesser teams, in stronger regions, etc.
-
Next Years Top 5
Iroquois plays in a very strong region. A trip to the state tournament is never a given. They have done a great job the past three years and it looks favorable for them next year. But, Butler had no seniors this year and they are a very good team.