Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rule/Changes suggestions for '08

Featured Replies

Having put the '07 regular season behind us, are there any Rules/Changes you would like to see, in '08 HS Basketball....A few topics for discussion.

 

Shot Clock - can it be done, should it and if so, how

Refs - 3 man crew or continue 2 man

Timeouts - Too many, need more or fine as is

Coaches - limit total on bench, like players

Rules - any you would like to see changed/added

Any additional ideas, suggestions....

  • Replies 69
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I can see is coaches. Whatever happened to having 2 seems like every team now has 4 or 5.

I think the shot clock would be hard to implement in high school.

I've seen too many schools have difficulty just running the regular clock and keep the score right.

 

The one rule change I'd like to see is the 10-second backcourt count. I've never understood why you get an additional 10 seconds if the ball gets knocked out of bounds or you call a timeout. I think the count should pick back up where it left off. Only the NBA (with its 8 second count) gets this call right (never thought I'd say that).

No shot clock ... it would be the worst thing to ever happen to high school basketball.

 

Officiating ... I don't know that three officials makes that much of a difference. Personally, the KHSAA decision to go with three smacked of an overreaction/public relations move after the Paducah Tilghman-Scott County semifinal fiasco in the 1999 Sweet 16.

My experience has been that games are better officiated with two refs. When there are three, refs are hesitant to call anything unless it's right in front of them. Anything else was "not in my zone."

Having put the '07 regular season behind us, are there any Rules/Changes you would like to see, in '08 HS Basketball....A few topics for discussion.

 

Shot Clock - can it be done, should it and if so, how

Refs - 3 man crew or continue 2 man

Timeouts - Too many, need more or fine as is

Coaches - limit total on bench, like players

Rules - any you would like to see changed/added

Any additional ideas, suggestions....

 

Shot clock - no

 

Refs - 2 man crew, too few good refs and this would keep down costs for schools and spread the available pool of officials out a little more

C

oaches - yes, should be limited, teams do not need the obscene number of staff on the bench that some schools do have...3-4 coaches, plus 1 medical staff seems plenty...

 

Players - limit the total number of players allowed to dress for games and be on the bench during all games to no more than 15...I know of somes coaches who have dressed 17-18 players for a varsity game, add in their 5 or six coaches and there isn't enough room in the bench area for everyone let alone enough chairs...

I think that coaches should be limited to 4. I feel like every coaching staff now has an asst. coach, head coach, a freshman coach, and a stat guy. All of those guys usually go to games anyway, let them sit on the bench.

 

I am a hug fan of the shot clock.

 

Refs are fine by me

  • Author

Any Defensive or Offensive changes, that could be proposed.

 

What about, stopping the clock on each made basket, in the last 1-2 minutes, of the 4th quarter....Is this something to consider, not needed?

I would like to see the line-up for free throws changed. If players continue to have to wait until the ball hits the rim, i would like to see everyone moved up the lane 1 spot toward the shooter. Small teams have a hard time getting rebounds on Free Throws anymore

Any Defensive or Offensive changes, that could be proposed.

 

What about, stopping the clock on each made basket, in the last 1-2 minutes, of the 4th quarter....Is this something to consider, not needed?

 

That also goes along with the idea of high school clock operators are doing good to get the thing started and stopped and keep the score right without adding something more.

  • Author
That also goes along with the idea of high school clock operators are doing good to get the thing started and stopped and keep the score right without adding something more.
....:D That reminds me, I was keeping the clock, during a tournament game one time, got caught up in the contest and with :18 to go, score 3-4 game....all of the sudden, you hear a roar from the crowd, "start the clock, start the clock...hey"....

 

I look up and notice, clock not moving and say to myself...."why didn't he start the clock", then I realize "he", was "me".

 

:sssh: :lol:

 

Oh My....

I will be the radical.:D

 

Move the players up the FT lane on free throws. Put the first player above the block.

 

Expand the free throw lane at the bottom like the international game. With the size and athletic ability of today's players, the physical play at the block because of how they can dominate by posting that close to the basket.

 

If you increase the lane, you have to move back the 3 point line to create spacing. Move it back to 20' 6" in you increase the lane.

 

Players do not foul out. Instead each foul over 5 and it is a one-shot foul with team retaining the ball.

  • Author

LBBC, you mentioned 3pt line....Is it too close currently, how far back to move, if needed?

 

I like the widening, of the lane suggestion.

I like the idea of the 3-point line at the international distance for college basketball, but I don't have a problem with where it is for the high school level.

LBBC, you mentioned 3pt line....Is it too close currently, how far back to move, if needed?

 

I like the widening, of the lane suggestion.

My post said 20' 6" IF you widen the lane.:p And you might only do that in the corners where the lane is widen.

 

You widen the lane and that doesn't give much room between the post and a 19'9" 3 point shot from the corners.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.