Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Devilologists

Inactive Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Devilologists

  1. I hope that Powell does not go to AAA, They had it rough in AA. The football program does not APPEAR to be supported like it should be. I now that when we travel to play there we have more fans than they do. Does the school have the numbers to go AAA? If they do where are they?? Just wondering. I hope the best for Powell Co. Their announcer for the football games is the most enthusiastic announcer we have seen. "Thats another first down for POWELL COUNTY!!!!!". That dude rocks.
  2. Devils have 17 coming back that played in the Championship game, plus 2 coming home this year.
  3. Tyler can play either position QB or RB, depends on and if AJ can make an impact on the team. I know that trying to come in on an established team can be tough and he will have to make a statement. Either one can play and I feel having Jones at RB with Kasey along with Lewis would be better. Tyler Jones is a great player and tough as a sophomore like you said. For defenses to pick up who to key on will let the other 2 run wild along with the QB. Hey Play to Win !!! I am sitting here trying to figure out the backs your senior year, who played full back. I can remember the QB, and 2 RB, help me out.
  4. okay the latest contact is Russell, Ashland and now Fairview are intersted in playing an Alumni Game. Certain contacts have been made off this board and now we are looking up. Also to Gr8bigbull- Thanks for the info, I will look at it when i am not at work, This is the league that the Titans owner was going to look at moving to last year before the team folded this spring. The owner got a coaching job at a small college and now the Titans are no more. Huntington, Wv has a new indoor team- Huntington Heroes. Look pretty good but not full field players. Thanks again guys for the response and hope to fill you guys in on an update. BZ have fun golfing man, theirs money in it and you dont have to worry about cheapshots, unless you are playing golf with my Dad. Thanks
  5. My money is on Morgan again this year in our district. :fight:
  6. I should have said HAS 17 kids returning that played in the game. No I did not count the special teams players that played, I might have to go back and recount them all. Thanks for highlighting that for me.
  7. Russell had 17 kids returning that played in the championship game this year- 17 !! Not Couting 6'6" 320 pound Harvey kid returning and the speedy 4.5 QB from Columbus which both are freshman this year. I think that Russell has the best chance out of all the AA teams to do it again.
  8. I respect you BZ and thanks for your opinion, it may spark someone else to respond.
  9. The reasoning behind the 4 year out rule is to keep kids from coming in and playing who are actually playing in college. I guess that if you are not enrolled in school this would be okay. The safety factor is this. If you are playing college ball for a school and come in for the weekend and play in this game, get injured, loose time at college and then loose an education, We as Alumni have done an injustice to you. Thats why the rule was made. So I guess if you are not currently playing ball for someone that would be okay. Which brings up a good topic, anyone who is interested in this please get started: 1. Players must grads of your school. 2. Can not be currently playing for an Educational Institution. 3. Must have the capability to sign a release for injury/death expectation. (can not hold the school liable for getting hurt) 4. Can not be a current professional athlete. It would be cool to play against Shawn Alexander, but not for us OLD TIMERS. Special appearances would be okay. 5. Referees will be high school refs.
  10. Russell usually scrimmages Cabell-Midland out of WV and another school but I cant remember who it is.
  11. BZ- thanks for your insight and the vast knowledge you have given me. As it is written so shall it be. Everyone who wishes to play football DO IT. I was no all-state player in school. I was not a record setter in school, I was a never was inschool- but guess what. I got the chance to play football at 39 years old and it was FUN. I never scored any touchdowns, I never saw my name in the paper for a record setting game. I never had the blocked field goal that saved the game BUT when I stepped onto that field, I knew more about football than 95% of the people on that field. I was not the fastest, not the biggests and definitley not the youngest. I was actually older than the owner of the team. So if you do not want any part of this I understand, and thank you for not responding any longer but anyone else who wishes to do this give me a yell. Hey TOMCAT- how about setting up a game for the summer of 2007 like the week before we start regular season football. We could play one at Putnam and then we could play one here. First Alumni game----- Russell vs Ashland. What a match-up. ONE rule- you dont get Arliss play, OKAY !!!!
  12. To be honest I am glad I have raised some interest for this. This is wonderful to hear the pros-cons for doing this. I am 39 years old and I played semi-pro ball this year for the Mountain State Titans. I love the game and would still play like that gentleman in Texas who is 62 years old and starts at defensive tackle. He still plays and is competitive. This league is not for HAS BEENS, This league would be for people who love to play football at a competitive pace instead of getting their jollys at Madden. This league is a chance to help kids who did not get recognition for college play, late bloomers or went under the radar for their senior year. The Titans had 6 guys get picked up by a college this past year. Exposure for some to continue to play. Outcome- If hate the idea- dont come watch. If you like the idea contact me and lets work on something for next year. Thanks for the responses guys, it looks good to me.
  13. Semi pro schedule is from May to Aug. This would end before regular football season started. This would give the players time to recover before they started teaching again. How many are willing to do this? Any thoughts from local teams in the area? Like I said- I already have the field to play if anyone is really interested. I have not put together a team so we could look at doing this in the spring of 2007?? Any takers?????
  14. Anyone intersted in starting an Alumni Football League. Full pads played on Saturday or Sunday and must be players that played at your high school. Players must be out of school 4 years to be eligible to play. This league would have to meet the Semi-Pro rules, most likely based on The Ohio Valley Football League. No one gets paid- this is for the love of the game. I have approval to have a team play at our JFL Field at Russell. I just finished watching the special on ESPN Classic about the NYFD and the NYPD league that has 30 teams around the US and thought, WOW this would awesome to do around here. Anyone have any words on this. ???? Anyone willing to put together a team????
  15. Okay where do they line up? Russell Belfry Newport OC Fort Campbell ... ... ... Just to get things started.
  16. Kasey Clark from Russell will be a great candidate for 2006. He should be around 6'2" and 220-230. Strong running back and great on defense.
  17. My prediction is that Kasey Clark will gain another 20 pounds like he did this year and still grow another inch or 2 by next year. That would put him around 6'1"-6'2" and probably around 220 at season start. He is an athlete and most doubtedly will be inthe weight room all off season. Keeping in shape by playing varsity b-ball now and still getting ready for his senior year. I hope that he has anothe break out year like this one. And hopefully he will get SOME attention.
  18. how did you guys get to do it in pads, was there release forms for the guys to sign?? I would love to get the guys back in pads for the alumni game but I dont think the school would like it much. Anyway, how did the crowds turn out, what was the best about it, what could be improved on if they did it again, (do not put the young kids on a team) Just wondering, our football alumni club is getting this started to help out the football team. Attempt to raise money and so on. How did the games turn out when you had them.
  19. Anyone out there have Alumni Games where past players come back and play? Of course this is flag football and not pads, just to raise money or for gatherings. :fire: :devil: :dancingpa :thumb:
  20. JJ Hesch- passing, Pugh for scrambling. Both are tough and we will see JJ again. Man I dread that too.
  21. I dont know about the 86 game but the 83 game when Russell beat Belfry at Belfry, you could not see the markers, lines or stripes. The only thing you could see was the 8 orange pylons on the field. I remember this because it was the first time I played at Belfry. I asked a coach - "Where is the field ? " He replied " See that olympic sized swimming pool son, Welcome to Belfry." It had not rained in a month, and the field was totally under water. We beat Belfry anyway and it was the sloppiest game I have ever seen...... Thats strange, 2 games where the field was questioned?????? Go Figure !!
  22. What is the cut-off for the classes now. I dont know that one.
  23. Regional championships at a neutral field. Preferred at a college stadium in the region.
  24. I heard that Ft Campbell had a kid 6'4" and around 265, OH wait he was the RB- He is bigger than anyone of our starting lineman on Offense or Defense. Our kids were small, strong and fast. Ask the line of OC and they will tell ya. Now as far as outstanding lineman goes, it is hard to say. Derek Timberlake, Timmy Smith, Drew Mell, Michael Shaefer. All of our boys were around the same size- 190 to 230, not one of them taller than 6'0". They got the job done...... I can only hope that they play at the next level.
  25. When Russell was AAA we had around 1200 kids in school. Ashland Oil moved out, CSX declined in workers, Armco steel sold to Kawasaki. We now have around 650 kids in school. Same doundries as before, all sided by Greenup Co., Raceland, Fairview,Boyd Co. and Ashland. Yea we are stuck in the middle of county schools, Independent schools and The City school of Ashland Blazer. The school boundries are like a pocket on a map around Flatwoods and Russell. To say it best-McGlone said that "When you loose half of your students, it is hard to keep the same amount of athletes you had before, they are just not there." But to say that AA is weaker now, is like apples to oranges. It is just different. Why did these other schools change classifications. Student enrollment down, reclassification,,,, what. We have the same coaches and the same facilites as we did 29-30 years ago. Russell competed the same in both classes. When I played you could not loose a regular season game to Belfry or Johnson Central or you would not make the playoffs. The system has changes to allow teams to get into the playoffs, not like when we were AAA, Does that make it weaker now,, whos to blame???? The system- Apples and Oranges, I say....

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.