Everything posted by WoodyJr
-
Ironton Football Coach Search
I believe he either did not reapply on a yearly form or submitted a letter saying he resigned the position. Neither of those equal "retirement" from teaching or coaching. Woody Jr
-
Ironton Football Coach Search
Lutz is still in the mix according to reports but nothing is decided With the door left open for Bob Lutz to slip back through, Ironton City Schools’ Board of Education took no action on the head football coach’s vacancy Thursday. Board member Jerry Rowe told the board he had talked to Lutz by telephone and that the veteran coach has agreed to meet with him net week to discuss returning to the job he has held for more than three decades. “He has been in Columbus — his son had surgery — but he did say he wanted to talk about coming back,” Rowe said. “I do want to talk to him.” The board will meet in special session next Thursday, June 22, to discuss the matter again. http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/2006/06/16/news/news556.txt Woody Jr
-
Beechwood 6 Christian County 5
I seem to recall Mike Fields having an article last year or before criticising the KHSAA for this exact point. It seems absolutely ridiculous to have teams battle their way to this point and have the bracket impact the outcome as obviously as it does. It's not like any of them lost a game to put themselves in this predicament - the KHSAA just simply allows a couple teams to be screwed, plain & simple. I'm not familiar with the school schedules but this time of year shouldnt impact that to any degree. How about play all 1st round games on Sat, then go Mon & Weds. They could look at Cliff Hagan field as well for flexibility. Play 2 games there and 2 games at Applebees on the first day/night so everyone is playing their 1st round on the same day/night. Then it's fair for all the kids - that is the goal, right? Woody Jr
-
Ironton Football Coach Search
I would be very interested to hear what Watusi and the Belfry folks have to say about your rumor? Can you enlighten us some? Woody Jr
-
Let's let everybody in
Lets just flip a coin for the trophy :lol: Im getting a headache Woody Jr
-
Let's let everybody in
How many districts are you figuring on with that? Doesnt it need to be either 8 districts or 16 districts or 32 districts - just so it will match a playoff bracket? still curious... Woody Jr OK - I see your working with the 8 districts times 4or 5 like we have now. As I was saying, others talked like they wanted more teams playing so I was looking how they would do so
-
Let's let everybody in
yeah I had brought up having only the top 2 make it in these new classifications and others had pointed out thatthe only reason they were making the change was so more teams would get into the playoffs basically. I don't know cause Im not privy to that info but mathematically I just dont see how you can have everyone in the playoff simply due to the factoring equation of 2,4, 8, 16, 32, 64. You can go 32 plus 16(with byes) but thats about it unless you have at least 64 teams in your class - which we will not with any increase in classes it seems? Woody Jr
-
Let's let everybody in
Yes I know, thats what got me thinking about this. If they shrink the number of teams in each class you cannot have 4 teams in each district - am I looking at that right? Woody Jr
-
Let's let everybody in
Added note: If you start with the idea of a new classification playoff bracket and have 32 teams playing - thats 16 games being played in the opening round. You would need 16 opponents to face those winners - that would mean 16 teams that have received an opening round bye. Using that formula you are then working with 48 teams. It would probably have to be 16 districts with 3 teams in each district and the top team gets the bye [the rotations/matchups would have to be worked out] So in this model if you have 50/51 teams there would be 2 or 3 districts in each class with 4 teams in it and they would not make the playoffs. If all of this is completely wrong from the get-go a mod can just erase it:sssh: Cheers, Woody Jr
-
Let's let everybody in
Sandman and others, I just ran into something that has me stumped & maybe someone can tell me if/where Im wrong. ?????????????:confused: :confused: Going to the more classes with fewer teams per, that seems to have us coming up with anywhere from 43/44 to 50/51 teams per class. It seems to me that you will have to completely restructure the platoffs to include a bye for quite a few teams NO MATTER whether it's top 2 teams, 4 teams, or all teams that are included. Let me explain... Because when you create a playoff bracket you go with teams in multiples of 2, then 4, then 8, then 16, then 32, and so forth. So.... with more than 32 but less than 64 teams in each class it seems to me that we would have to come up with some sort of criteria to include a bye round for some teams. Am I completely missing this, or is this another factor that coaches & everyone would have to decide if they want - some teams having a bye? Thanx, Woody Jr
-
Who should be the New Boyd County Coach?
Will we see the Tomcats, circa 1980/80's in some ways you think? dive/veer option, 52 Defense Woody Jr
-
Ironton Football Coach Search
I thought that name was from the past - thanx. Was he a receiver? I figured maybe whats happening is a couple cliques forming over there behind certain candidates IF they can't run Parker out and get Lutz et al back. Did all the FB guys walk in terms of coaching? Woody Jr
-
Ironton Football Coach Search
Yeah, he's going with the other NKY school teaching position right? Dayton or somebody, i lost track? Woody Jr
-
Ironton Football Coach Search
Is anyone familiar with Merrill Triplett or Mark Vass ? Isnt Vass a former player? dont know where he's been . This is really an ugly situation in Ironton. Whomever gets the job is going to be in a wringer. I'm curious what kind of applicants they got; whether many stayed away in deference to Lutz or fear of the catch 22 situation, or if the committee handpicked a few certain people due to the chaos? Woody Jr
-
If (when) we increase our # of classes to 5 or 6, shouldn't we...
I have no problem with everyone in the playoffs. But do you think the 4 team districts are what will occur? What is it "about" Male that will stop a super group IYO ? - they do want in or not, or something else? thanx Woody jr
-
If (when) we increase our # of classes to 5 or 6, shouldn't we...
I have noted several times that 6 classes is way too diluted IMO. We should have no more than 5 classes and if they want to make the top one a super class with less teams than the others thats fine. Looking at the rough draft Sandman constucted I believe it went to roughly about 25? teams if you go down far enough to include Male. Or they could designate the first 16 largest and let anyone else who wants to join in the super class to do so Split the rest into 4 even classes and don't let them move up - keep the classes firm. As far as # of teams in the playoffs, most discussions on going to additional classes seemed to favor or assume? only 4 teams in each district. This would keep open plenty of other games for traditional rivals, money games, etc that might be lost to teams in this realignment and potential longer travel to district games, less gates, etc. So if a new alignment IS set up with 4 team (maybe a few oddball 5 team) districts, then right away that gives a clear picture of playoff participation. If 4 district teams go - that means practically everyone is in. If only the top 2 district teams go - then that basically cuts out one playoff round. That would be sort of a tradeoff really - you have fewer teams in your class now and therefore "statistically" a better chance to get to the finals, BUT you must be good enough to qualify as one of the two best teams in your district. That sounds like a pretty fair equation - what do you guys think? Basically everyone in? OR only about half the schools in each class? [i guess thats 16 teams per class X 4 = 64 playoff teams plus however many qualify in the superclass. As compared with our current 4 class total of 128 teams which started the playoffs last year] Woody Jr ...let me know if I messed up any numbers
-
Where are all the Russell Fans:
OK my devilish friends ..... it's not lookin so good for you when a TOMCAT knows more:cool: about your upcoming path to Louisville than you yourselves do :confused: :sssh: Mercer and Harrodsburg are consolidating. So to add to Mercers power you have H's "historical" speed. And if you follow some of the mercerberg threads on here you would know that they have already won the 2006 AA championship - no need for you guys to show up I guess :confused: :lol: :laugh: ALSO the new playoff bracket has Newport AND Mercerburg now in the western side of the bracket - so you guys would not see both of them, only one in the FINAL game. You need to check out soem threads on the new playoff changes to see what region you are matched up with and who that includes - Im not THAT up on 2A across the state. have fun Woody Jr
-
PRP vs Boyd County - Predictions
All coaches are not the same and interact differently with others - both ways:p Remember the old: "Plays well with others" ???? - or not:D If it's a one time pique then thats it, if it's a history with many, then maybe it's something else??? From what I've heard the region coaches get along pretty well in football & basketball - Scouting sweet 16 teams, providing info on offenses, working together for the regions kids, etc Woody Jr
-
If you were given a choice, who would you want to??????????
Vince Lomardi HC Tom Landry DC Sid Gilman OC
-
Countdown to Kickoff 2006
and that means ....... 11 weeks from today : Starts the FIRST regular season week of practice for a game
-
Where are all the Russell Fans:
When the devil fans get on here Id like to hear their take on the playoff realignment now that Newport and the new/improved Mercer(burg) are in the opposite side of the bracket and wouldn't be seen until Louisville Woody Jr
-
Lex Cath 9 Danville 6
:thumb: Like I said, Im not involved with either team. As we can see from the posts there are conflicting so-called "facts" - as usual Take care Woody Jr
-
Proposed 5A breakdown -classes evenly distributed
Basically Ive always like the 5 class choice What you do with the top one; either a superclass of 16 or whatever, can be decided by those in power and then split the rest evenly. I think 16 1A teams looks silly. They are too subject to consolidations, dropping football, & travel costs are most toughest on smaller schools budgets I believe. 6 classes is just too small per class and travel factors only get more complicated. Woody Jr
-
Lex Cath 9 Danville 6
I did not see the game. I do not have a dog in the hunt (so to speak) But I noticed you did not seem to take into account the umpires actions at all in your critique. That makes it a rather one-sided observation by you. Not that you don't absolutely have that right, I just feel it's fairer to at least acknowledge both sides of an debate if wanting to be seen as unbiased. As an umpire especially (you not me) I personally feel it is VERY unfair for you to throw out the idea that these kids could be "bad attitudes". I don't feel there is any need for HS kids to have that label thrown out at them - especially if you have no other knowledge of their behavioral history. Your belief that "Heightened emotions in postseason necessitate lower tolerance levels by umpires to insure that they keep games under control." is not exactly what I've heard, seen, or experienced from many umpires. Good umpires always seem to keep control of games (with or without heightened emotions) by maintaining a consistent pattern of actions, diffusing rising emotions professionally, ignoring or removing hecklers etc., and especially making it a point NOT to engage players or coaches or even get close enough for them to vent something at the ump. Engaging players & coaches when emotions are high is just plain dumb - it begs for a confrontation. I feel an umpire with a tolerance level issue needs is not an especially great umpire - 100% human, but not a great umpire. just my view Woody Jr
-
NE KY All Star FINAL East 38 West 21
Congratulations to Tom Posey for all the hard work and everyone who helped him along the way, including the Daily Independent & of course BGP for providing a great place to talk about it all :thumb: :thumb: A Big Thank You to all the coaches who devoted their time for the kids benefit:thumb: :thumb: & of course to the parents for producing such great Northeast Kentucky young men. I hope they all go on from here to even more memorable times :thumb: :thumb: There are more & more of these all star games sprouting up and I think it shows the increase in popularity of football in KY and very much so in our corner of the state. Im really glad to see everyone working together for the betterment of fooball in general as opposed to just their own team. I think we also saw some of that in Raceland's bit of "advice"?? to Russell before playing the championship.:thumb: :thumb: Hope to see it grow even more next year. Cheers, Woody Jr