Everything posted by Old-School-Football
-
Trinity/ Henry Clay predictions August 7 scrimmage at Trinity
How about a QB battle with 2 guys and going up against an athlete like Robinson in the secondary???? That should be fun...no pressure!! I remember Ensworth last year with Harper and Ryan Young...going into battle the first game of the year against Rico McGraw. He was fun to watch in that game and now playing for Georgia. So many great athletes and top notch talent to watch last year and this year.
-
Trinity/ Henry Clay predictions August 7 scrimmage at Trinity
Only a few more days until we kick things off. Should be a good one. Really looking forward to seeing Robinson up close and watching the T QB battle. It sounds like both QB's in the middle of the competition are doing plenty of good things in practice. Also looking forward to watching some of the Trinity guys competing for the final few D-Line spots and the final LB spot. Really only need to fill about 3 spots...and I can't wait to see the guys in the middle of position battles. Hope to see solid depth on both sides of the ball as well. Really fun watching the 2nd and 3rd string guys get in the mix. Many of them usually find a way to contribute somewhere
-
Greatest High School Football player you have ever seen play (In Person)
Jeff Brohm is high on my list. Would scramble from one sideline to the other and the opposing team could never seem to catch him. He was really good back in my day. Would have loved to see him in the T offense today throwing it 30 + times each game.
-
St X and Trinity QB 's and Frosh Football
Just going off last year...I count 103 varsity players on the Varsity Team. At least 75 went to CSAA schools and another 10 -15 (at the very least) went to public grade schools but played in CSAA because they were full time members of a Catholic parish...and many more who have father's and grandfather's that went to Trinity. The percentage is close to 90% if you really dig down and look at the numbers.
-
Name a team you really love to dislike
Come on...Holy Cross???? Is it that bad? I didn't go to either school but can't imagine that much hatred or dislike. Lot of good guys and really good teams over the years. Thought that was more of a respect thing. Going back to the 80's....I remember some dislike But now?
-
St X and Trinity QB 's and Frosh Football
Don't forget X and T both dominate Lacross. CSAA numbers are most definitely down and that is translating to football numbers going down. Some kids do both but the majority are focusing full time on Lacross. I know a lot of our CSAA kids are going in that direction. The way the CSAA merged so many schools and the different classes is totally different from the CSAA we all grew up watching or playing.
-
St X and Trinity QB 's and Frosh Football
Possible...is it likely the enrollment or amount of football players in the freshman class is down this year due to drug and alcohol testing...maybe. Anything is possible. The number is greater than 50. Someone told me closer to 75.
-
Trinity or Male?
Green goggles? This guy is cracking me up. I'm going to leave it alone. Just trying to get under our skin like last year jumping on the T or starting the fight after we beat them in the playoffs. Our Seniors have 2 rings in the past 3 years and Male doesnt have anything in this decade. All that talent...guess what, Mike Bush and Chris Redman and Coach Redman aren't walking through that door. Keep talking about the 16 class, Giffster. We will keep polishing our rings.
-
Trinity or Male?
Thank you!
-
Trinity or Male?
How many games has Hayden started at QB? He is absolutely ready? Larry Harper has starting experience against Ensworth, Colerain and Coco, FL...not bad. And you give the edge to Hayden? And we still can't rule out that Woosley is in the middle of the QB competition. Says A LOT about the kid making the transition from WR and now he is competing for the starting job at T. I give zero advantage to Male. I'm the first person on this website to talk highly of Z Smith. As a matter of fact, I'm anxious to see how he will do with Rodjay all over him in week 4. Who has the advantage in that one? I personally feel like Luke and a host of other guys will take Wakefield. We will see...looking forward to the match ups. Only 3 guys that started as Sophomores for Trinity??? Very far from the truth. Our whole team was practically Soph starters two years ago. 4 out of 5 offensive linemen, Burns, Foos, Lococo, Lowe, Woosley...we have at least 9 or 10 three year starters as well....and the 9 or 10 I just mentioned have 2 state championship rings. I'm not giving the advantage to Trinity. I think both teams are worthy of the pre season #1 . I like both teams a lot and look forward to the game. But we need to stop the Male has the talent advantage stuff...if anything, the teams are evenly matched. But so many continue to talk about the coaching advantage...don't think anyone is going to argue that one...right?
-
Trinity or Male?
Tired of looking at all the post talking about Male has more talent. Come on guys...name a player you really know outside of Wakefield. I know several players from little league football and coached some of them...coached against many more. I've watched the progression over all these years. I can name quality players on the Male roster - for each one, I can give you a Trinity guy just as good. I love the talent level on both sides. But I'm tired of everyone saying Male has more talent...stop it. Some sort of "smoke and mirrors" trick giving everyone the impression Male is full of 4 star talent and Trinity doesn't have the same level of players...and you guys say Trinity may have the slight advantage just because of the coach. Yes...I will pick Coach Beatty 10 out of 10 times...but Coach Beatty didn't make that interception in the playoffs - that was Luke Eskins (he actually had 2 that night). Absolutely no disrespect to the talent level at Male. They have a really special group. But I assure you Trinity is full of talented players as well. I do feel like the T guys are very unappreciated or overlooked by many from a talent level perspective. Take Wakefield and Burns (UL guys) out of the discussion. Who do you have now?
-
Manual Crimsons
Why is the kid leaving Manual?
-
Eyes on Ballard
I'm sorry you feel that way. For many of us looking in as outsiders, Ballard has done as much if not more when compared to similar schools. Must be a good reason they keep him around. He takes the time to help kids from all over our state, I know several kids in that program that are growing up to be amazing contributors in our community, and to put the icing on the cake...they win a good amount of games every year. Call it what you want but a semi final is a semi final regardless of the brackets. I only compare this to similar schools like Eastern, JTOWN, Fern Creek, PRP and Butlet. Eastern and JTOWN have recently fallen off the map but Ballard, PRP and Butler seem to have stability. Says a lot about the coaches, administrators, parents and kids. If I was a kid and didn't attend T, X or Male - Ballard would be my top choice. But I'm just an outsider.
-
Louisville and Surrounding Area Top 10 Power Rankings 7-29-15
Glad to see the DeSales guys jump into this one. I can only speak from experience...what I've seen with my own eyes. Manual is the real deal. They have been for the past two seasons. I would go as far to say that Manual could have won state championships in another class (I can do that because other people talk about other schools as good as teams in other classes all the time). I'm just saying...I've seen them in person and they are 100% for real. If you haven't seen that defense with Derek Dorsey, go check it out. I value the DeSales run as much as anyone in Louisville and know many of the kids from grade school ball. Worthy of a top 5 or 6...yes. But not ahead of Manual yet in my eyes. Agree the Ballard game is a great measuring stick. I personally feel like we have our top 5-6 but need Manual to be in that discussion with DeSales and Ballard. NO WAY you put Manual behind CAL. I'll join in and place a vote for Central Hardin as well. Should be a solid group from what I'm hearing.
-
Trinity or Male?
Flip a coin...both teams will have new QB'S this year and I'm pretty sure we will change our minds a few times until the two teams face each other in week 4. The current senior class at Trinity is 1-4 overall against Male in games that matter. We play AT Male again in the regular season and if I'm not mistaken, we would go back to Male in the playoffs if both teams advance to see each other as the #1 seed. Nothing has been easy for this senior group of Shamrocks but they somehow manage to fight through. Will find out much more over the first 4 weeks of the season. I do like the senior lineman at Trinity A LOT with Senior Jalen Reed running behind them. In addition, Burns - Foos - Lococo - Lowe are all 3 year starters for the defense. The rest of the defense played big minutes during our state championship run. I've mentioned the much improved secondary a few times!! Again, flip a coin in my eyes. Rocks need to contain Zachary Smith as much as Wakefield. Bulldogs are also loaded with a bunch of 2 or 3 yeat starters...especially at the skill spots. Going to be a lot of fun watching this one unfold.
-
Trinity 2015
7 on 7 every day on campus...the team competition is more than enough for this group and very intense. Not aware of any plans to go outside of the organized team activities. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind but this group is getting plenty of work keeping things in house. Secondary could be as strong as we've seen since the 2011 and 2012 bunch that won back to back State Champiinships. Everyone in the State is aware of Rodjay Burns but keep a close watch on Fadell Sydnor, Luke Eskins, Ryan Reynolds and Zyan Bethel. Secondary hurt us two years ago, improved with each game last year and should be extremely strong in 2015. This group can not only cover...but a few of them play the DB spot with a LB mentality...and I like that.
-
Male's Wakefiled to Annouce Commitment Today
Did his brother put a UL hat on (brother is or was on UK roster)? Word is traveling pretty fast that the whole thing was pretty "Bush League". I guess I'm just too old fashioned. What ever happened to picking a school and quickly reminding yourself that you are so blessed to play on the next level and get a free education. In the same breath, be thankful for the relationships you built along the way with other coaches that offered you the same opportunity. If all of us could only be so blessed. I'm not a fan of goofy games like that regardless of age. I bet Kash, Drake, Landon and gang were watching this one. Locker room material before any of them even finish high school.
-
Male's Wakefiled to Annouce Commitment Today
Shortly after 1pm EST....Wakefield picked the Louisville Cardinals. Confirmed via Jody Demling twitter feed. Congrats to Keion and his family. Best of luck with the Bulldogs this year and Cards next year.
-
Congrats to Male..
Will be in the 1 or 2 spot all season in the 6A/State rankings. Guarantee this Bulldog team will play with a chip on the shoulder come playoff time. Even with The QB heading off to UK and some of the linemen moving on to smaller colleges, this Male team won't skip a beat.
-
Trinity 2015
Male, X, Ensworth, Brentwood, Lafayette, Henry Clay...looking forward to seeing so many Division 1 talented kids. I know for a fact the players and staff are overly excited about this schedule. A short time ago, we had a hard time getting a lot of these teams to schedule us. I wonder what changed? I guess a few 5-5 seasons will do that...or the fact that so many of the teams are all of a sudden loaded with D1 players. Only 15 days away and we get our first look at Mr Robinson and Henry Clay. GO ROCKS!
-
Biggest winners and losers in realignment-6A edition
I think we are on the same page All Tell! Going to be interesting watching this one unfold. You may want to reconsider or change your thought process around the NKY schools on the winner side of your list. PRP was in the state championship 3 years ago and Butler has at least one state championship in football. We aren't talking about cupcakes! Both schools have a lot of tradition and a long line of producing solid teams. Wish I could find the date for the PRP vs Butler game. I don't see it on the KHSAA website. Can you imagine that game out on Dixie the last game of the year for 4th and 5th place???? 4th place would get the Rocks and 5th place would get NKY School. How would you coach that game?
-
Biggest winners and losers in realignment-6A edition
I'm not sure about this year right now but you can usually count on Butler making an appearance in the quarter or semi finals every few years. A PRP or Butler first round game against Simon Kenton would be very interesting. Lot of football to play before we even need to dive into this topic too much. But good food for thought. Just saying the 5th team in the district might be rewarded at the end of the year by moving out of the bracket away from T, X, Male, Manual and Ballard. No way a team would sand-bag at the end of the year...right? Coaches have WAY to much pride.
-
Biggest winners and losers in realignment-6A edition
Where will the #5 seed go from the Trinity district and X/Male district when we reach the post season? Could be an ugly situation for a #1 seed just like McCracken County last year going up against Manual in the first round. This time, it could be a #5 seed like PRP or Butler. Both teams have been in the 6A finals or semi finals one time or another over the past 3 seasons. Lot of tradition in both programs. Will that #5 seed actually catch a break and avoid the horrible T, Male, X, Manual, Ballard bracket? If so, I wouldn't call that team or program a loser. I say they might catch the biggest break of all...even if they have to play a District Champ. Can you imagine getting out of that bracket after playing in that District all year? Could be a sign of hope for one program.
-
Class of 2016 commitments
Both guys are pretty darn good "people" as well...Marshall and WKU getting two of the States best. It keeps getting bigger and better with this class of 2016 kids. Many more to come as we work our way through the season.
-
Congrats to Male..
Way to go Bulldogs! Way to represent the 502 down in Bama with the big boys. Going to be another fun season.