Eyes on Ballard

Ram

From the Louisville Area Power Rankings:

4) Ballard High School - The Bruins appear to have supplanted Manual High School as the best team in Louisville not named Trinity, X or Male, though #5 and #6 may argue that. They are a formidable opponent but not quite on the level of the Big 3, hence the #4 ranking.

Ballard has been on the rise for several years. Coach Jackson has been focused on making the Bruins a top tier team. Has Ballard became one of the big names in Louisville? Will the Bruins remain at that level?

Ballard has had several D1 players over the last couple of years. Who will be their big players this season? What players are coming up from the freshman and sophomore level?

That is not going to happen. Ballard has more talent in Louisville, however just aren't going to ever get across that hump with Jackson at the reigns. They advanced far last year in playoffs, because they had an easy road.

It depends on they do in the game against Manual in my opinion. Manual may not typically win against the Big Three, but they almost always give them a solid game. If Ballard wants to earn that four spot they need to prove it against the team that has traditionally held it. If I remember the tournament organization correctly, they should also play Manual first round of the playoffs (assuming Manual takes third in their district and Ballard is second in theirs).

How they fare against Male and Trinity in the regular season should also provide a decent measuring stick.

That is not going to happen. Ballard has more talent in Louisville, however just aren't going to ever get across that hump with Jackson at the reigns. They advanced far last year in playoffs, because they had an easy road.

I'm sorry you feel that way. For many of us looking in as outsiders, Ballard has done as much if not more when compared to similar schools. Must be a good reason they keep him around. He takes the time to help kids from all over our state, I know several kids in that program that are growing up to be amazing contributors in our community, and to put the icing on the cake...they win a good amount of games every year. Call it what you want but a semi final is a semi final regardless of the brackets.

I only compare this to similar schools like Eastern, JTOWN, Fern Creek, PRP and Butlet. Eastern and JTOWN have recently fallen off the map but Ballard, PRP and Butler seem to have stability. Says a lot about the coaches, administrators, parents and kids. If I was a kid and didn't attend T, X or Male - Ballard would be my top choice. But I'm just an outsider.

I would agree that he has done a lot for athletes throughout the state and I think he is a solid guy. On a coaching level, just don't think he can take them to the next level, for the main reason that he struggles to relinquish responsibilities to his coaching staff which hurts them in big games. With the schedule Ballard has each year, which is fairly soft, and the talent they have each year they should be have 10 win seasons year in and year out.

Asked this in another thread but with all their talent, who is their QB this season and what type offense will they be running? Believe in Coach Jackson also. Met him a few times and know some of his coaches and I would be ok if my son played for him. Keep up the good work Coach J!

my son does play for Coach Jackson...and I'm thrilled. He's all about kids playing at the next level - not just Ballard kids. His annual small college camp is a testament to his dedication to kids who play the greatest team sport of all. Go Bruins!

Lots of good points, appreciated compliments, and even MORE appreciated criticism (always looking to improve and knowing your shortfalls is important in doing so).

However, must say I don't understand the ones about "not relinquishing responsibility to staff" and "soft schedule." (And would imagine it's hard for anyone to know the first thing if not intimately involved day-to-day on staff...so must assume someone made an assumption without all the inside info).

As to schedule, would mention that we purposely scheduled St. X every year when other publics refused. Played Male every year (other than years they chose not to play us). Played Manual every year and even twice in regular season the same year. When other top L'ville publics said no to a game with us, we sought out highly-ranked teams out in state that would challenge and help us improve (Warren Central, Bryan Station, and eventual state champ Collins). Knowing it was a rebuilding cycle for us, still chose to play Byrnes, SC and Riverdale, TN. Even called Trinity to play when they were moved from our district (was told by AD their schedule was full with out-of-state teams).

Regarding 'not relinquishing responsibility to staff,' have had a D-Coord every year since taking over in 2008 and have allowed them to make every Def installation schedule, every daily practice schedule, and every single play-call in the last 8 years (sometimes with suggestions, but always let the DC make what he felt was the final call). Had an O-Coord who called 85-90% of plays in game every year until I chose to go in different offensive direction last year--the year which we went to semi-finals, so I guess that year wasn't all bad play-calling-wise. Granted, playoff schedule wasn't what it will be this year, but we did beat the teams that didn't beat us on the way to the farthest the school has gone since the mid-80's.

Valid criticisms I think are that while we've gotten close against both X (lost by 1 at their place) and T (lost by 7 at our place) in the last 7 years, we haven't actually finished a game against them on top. Also, we've beaten Male several times, but have not performed well against them the last two years. We've done very well against other L'ville publics (including Manual) but for program to reach the level we expect, must do better against "the big 3" than we have.

Hope that didn't come off as "defensive!" Truly tried to reply with nothing but facts. A complete HONOR for us to even be mentioned in the same breath with programs that are perenially at the top of our sport...hoping that what we've tried to build to this point -- with some needed changes along the way (maybe later than should've been made) -- will see fruition this season. Really do have a TREMENDOUS group of young men on this team -- not just athletically but character-wise as well.

Lots of good points, appreciated compliments, and even MORE appreciated criticism (always looking to improve and knowing your shortfalls is important in doing so).

However, must say I don't understand the ones about "not relinquishing responsibility to staff" and "soft schedule." (And would imagine it's hard for anyone to know the first thing if not intimately involved day-to-day on staff...so must assume someone made an assumption without all the inside info).

As to schedule, would mention that we purposely scheduled St. X every year when other publics refused. Played Male every year (other than years they chose not to play us). Played Manual every year and even twice in regular season the same year. When other top L'ville publics said no to a game with us, we sought out highly-ranked teams out in state that would challenge and help us improve (Warren Central, Bryan Station, and eventual state champ Collins). Knowing it was a rebuilding cycle for us, still chose to play Byrnes, SC and Riverdale, TN. Even called Trinity to play when they were moved from our district (was told by AD their schedule was full with out-of-state teams).

Regarding 'not relinquishing responsibility to staff,' have had a D-Coord every year since taking over in 2008 and have allowed them to make every Def installation schedule, every daily practice schedule, and every single play-call in the last 8 years (sometimes with suggestions, but always let the DC make what he felt was the final call). Had an O-Coord who called 85-90% of plays in game every year until I chose to go in different offensive direction last year--the year which we went to semi-finals, so I guess that year wasn't all bad play-calling-wise. Granted, playoff schedule wasn't what it will be this year, but we did beat the teams that didn't beat us on the way to the farthest the school has gone since the mid-80's.

Valid criticisms I think are that while we've gotten close against both X (lost by 1 at their place) and T (lost by 7 at our place) in the last 7 years, we haven't actually finished a game against them on top. Also, we've beaten Male several times, but have not performed well against them the last two years. We've done very well against other L'ville publics (including Manual) but for program to reach the level we expect, must do better against "the big 3" than we have.

Hope that didn't come off as "defensive!" Truly tried to reply with nothing but facts. A complete HONOR for us to even be mentioned in the same breath with programs that are perenially at the top of our sport...hoping that what we've tried to build to this point -- with some needed changes along the way (maybe later than should've been made) -- will see fruition this season. Really do have a TREMENDOUS group of young men on this team -- not just athletically but character-wise as well.

Great explanation of your point of view. Admittedly, I am judging from the outside in and have not been apart of your staff, just going by what I have been told from former staff. I wish you nothing but the best of luck this season.

BTW I think your combine has been great for many student athletes!

I'd say it's true that on our (and maybe every other) staff, those who are not 'coordinators' would often complain they don't get the input they want and then gripe to others it's b/c the HC didn't entrust THEM with the responsibility instead. That doesn't mean the head coach took that away, just means they weren't in the coordinator's seat and thought they could've done better. Totally understandable -- I remember feeling that way too...wasn't selfish, I really thought our team would be better off doing things my way instead of who was in charge.

I would freely admit that one of my biggest downfalls as a HC is loyalty to those I delegate major responsibility; what goes with that is sometimes you make angry those subordinate to those entrusted as coordinator when things don't go well. Sometimes the answer to a needed change is to change a coordinator, other times it's a change in overall scheme that is needed. Either way, SOMEONE on previous staff is going to be unhappy and vent to those outside the situation. Totally understand that -- it's human nature to do that. It's also something I willingly take on when making tough staff decisions. Can't always make everyone happy when major changes are necessary.

When it comes down to it--despite (with only a couple exceptions) having TREMENDOUS men assisting on our staff--I did not allow "consensus" or "committee" decision-making when game-planning. Final decisions came down to a man who'd earned my trust by his work ethic and I didn't pull that away from them without significant cause--and in spite of some people's objections, didn't feel it was right to do in the midst of a season. Maybe some can make that (or the 'committee-style') work, but doesn't seem the best way to me.

Thanks for your comments on the combine -- labor of love and hopefully is beneficial for both kids and small colleges. Good luck to you guys this year.

I'd say it's true that on our (and maybe every other) staff, those who are not 'coordinators' would often complain they don't get the input they want and then gripe to others it's b/c the HC didn't entrust THEM with the responsibility instead. That doesn't mean the head coach took that away, just means they weren't in the coordinator's seat and thought they could've done better. Totally understandable -- I remember feeling that way too...wasn't selfish, I really thought our team would be better off doing things my way instead of who was in charge.

I would freely admit that one of my biggest downfalls as a HC is loyalty to those I delegate major responsibility; what goes with that is sometimes you make angry those subordinate to those entrusted as coordinator when things don't go well. Sometimes the answer to a needed change is to change a coordinator, other times it's a change in overall scheme that is needed. Either way, SOMEONE on previous staff is going to be unhappy and vent to those outside the situation. Totally understand that -- it's human nature to do that. It's also something I willingly take on when making tough staff decisions. Can't always make everyone happy when major changes are necessary.

When it comes down to it--despite (with only a couple exceptions) having TREMENDOUS men assisting on our staff--I did not allow "consensus" or "committee" decision-making when game-planning. Final decisions came down to a man who'd earned my trust by his work ethic and I didn't pull that away from them without significant cause--and in spite of some people's objections, didn't feel it was right to do in the midst of a season. Maybe some can make that (or the 'committee-style') work, but doesn't seem the best way to me.

Thanks for your comments on the combine -- labor of love and hopefully is beneficial for both kids and small colleges. Good luck to you guys this year.

Coach J,

You sir are a class act. Keep up the good work and best wishes to Ballard this season!

:thumb:

I can see the point about having a weak schedule for this year. Y'all did well to schedule Male, Manual and DeSales, and you can't really help the district (outside of Ballard and Trinity) being weak. However, the other games should be cupcakes for a team of Ballard's caliber. Oldham County (3-8), Allen Central (1A and 3-8), Western (4A and 5-7), Western Hills (3A and 5-6), and Doss (4A and 5-7) are not exactly impressive.

I am surprised to hear about calling the Trinity AD. Was it late in the scheduling cycle? I'd always heard he took so many out-of-state because he couldn't get most Kentucky teams.

Ballard has always intrigued me, being a "basketball" school there are some "dudes" walking in the halls, and one can tell they get a few of them on their team. But for whatever reason, the talent has not translated into playoff success. It's hard to compete with the "Big 3", but they have the talent and I would be willing to bet the resources to do it. To answer t h e question, Ballard is stuck in the middle, trying to get over the proverbial hump.

...Allen Central (1A and 3-8)...Western Hills (3A and 5-6).

Not sure whose schedule you're looking at. Our non-district games (only ones we have control over) are Oldham Co, Male, Desales, Manual, Western & Doss. Include Trinity (district game) & we are playing 3 of the previous "super district" and a reigning state champ of a lower class. I think that would compare pretty favorably to any other Jeff Co public for strength of schedule (kudos to Central who has similar scheduling philosophy).

I am surprised to hear about calling the Trinity AD. Was it late in the scheduling cycle? I'd always heard he took so many out-of-state because he couldn't get most Kentucky teams.

I think it's true to say "couldn't get MOST Ky teams;" we didn't go along with the "boycott the privates" nonsense many chose to engage in. My philosophy has been if you want to ever beat them, you must get more familiar with them. I don't remember it being late in scheduling cycle when I called Coach Lampley about a home-and-home, but I think we had someone cancel on us to open up a week so they were who I called but the only week they still needed didn't match up with the week we needed.

...and I'm all for scheduling tough (go back if possible to see who we played at 3A Oldham Co. & at 1A Pikeville) but I don't think it would be smart to schedule all 6 of your nonDistrict games against teams you'd likely not be favored no matter what your district is.

Our roster numbers aren't terrible (will dress 75-80 for varsity--non-FROSH--this year) but if we added Bowling Green, Highlands, & Elder to Male, Manual, & Desales I think I might go up for child abuse!