Everything posted by Thomas Magnum
-
Mountain Top 10
You know what a scrimmge win gets you.......a .99 cent cup of coffee at McDonalds....that is as long as you have .99 cents. On the other hand it does build confidence and get a team moving in the right direction, but should not be considered for rankings.
-
Whitley County/Pulaski County Scrimmage
You are right they did try and pass the ball last year but that was not design, their running QB was lost for most of the season and only returned for the playoff game. Had he still be running the show I think you would have seen a different offense as the year went on, in fact it would have looked alot like what they are doing this year. Of course their line is a little bigger and stronger this year and that helps.
-
Middle School Football
Clay County is South Eastern KY is going to be very gooc, they have a good number of kids out and have some size to boot. They have a strong QB and several nice athletes. Knox Central will also be a force in SEKY, they have a couple of super athlets and look like are being well coached. Whitley County is also going to be good. Dalton Sizemore and Boston Bryant are the horsepower on that team, but they also have a Jackson kid who can play.
-
Whitley County/Pulaski County Scrimmage
I thought both teams played it close to the vest, although it looked like the Maroons were just a shade over confident, and at times frustrated and looking around for someone to make a play. I am sure that they will improve and be a factor in the playoffs.
-
Whitley County/Pulaski County Scrimmage
I thought that Whitley hurt themselves several times with some bad penalties but they were able to overcome those, which was something they could never do last year. All in all I think it was encouraging but it was still only a scrimmage.
-
Whitley County/Pulaski County Scrimmage
Whitley did not put 9 in the box in fact they played mostly their base defense. PC should have only had 7 points but they were able to sustain a drive after a questionable pass interfearce call by the official on the PC side, when the ball hit the defender in the helmet. I don't think that Pulaski attempted more than 10-12 passes in the three quarters, and may have completed 6 or 7 of those. PC could not stop the rushing attack of the Colonels who had some where in the neighborhood of 400 yards rushing in three quarters. When the 1st unit when out Whitley was leading 35-14 and the final score was 35-26. Muse is a multi talanted QB who can really hurt teams with his arm and his running ability, while I was VERY impressed with the Hines kid, he can really make up ground and make plays defensively. Whitley's defense was solid but not spectacular, they made plays when they needed to. The offense was like a train on a track, down hill with a tailwind. Their kids looked bigger, stronger and faster than a year ago. Both sides of the ball for Whitley appeared to be the more physical of the two teams. It looked like Whitley has about 4 or 5 guys who can run the football well. I think Whitley may have thrown the ball 4 or 5 times with maybe three completions, they did not need to throw, since Pulaski could not stop the running game. The Colonels did have some problems with cramps so conditioning may need to be upgraded I was much more impressed with the Colonels than the Maroons, considering what Pulaski had coming back I would have expected about the same score except reversed. This is the third year Jim Black has been the head man at Whitley and now you are starting to see the improvement and the payoff.
-
Vaught still griping ...
With the departure of Curtis Pulley from the University of Kentucky, regardless of whether Mr Vaught was right or wrong, it would appear that he (Pulley) has put a black eye on the title "Mr. Football".
-
2008 Whitley County
So How is summer practice going for the Colonels. What do their numbers look like going into the season? Have not heard much lately on them, how is Coach Russell fitting in? Do the Colonels have any injuries? What does the offense and defense look like? So many questions and so few answers.
-
Top 5 teams in the 13th region next year?
You could be right, but I don't see South being able to hold Corbin down offensively. Corbin just has too many guys who can score from anywhere on the floor. Of course that can be a downfall for them if they are not shooting well. If Corbin and South were to play in the Region final that would make them playing 4 times, two regular season games, one in the district and the finals. Regular season games are for seeding and they could split or even one team sweep. If Corbin sweeps, it could really put the whammy on South, if they split, the district is huge, becuase who ever wins the district has a leg up on the other as the winner gets a loser, so they should have the easy game first. I think for South the be able to win the region they HAVE TO WIN the district. Corbin on the other hand can still go in a loser and win. I don't see either team sweeping the other as they are too well coached and have too much talant. BTW sorry to Whitley and Williamsburg, although both will be improved, they will not be factors in the post season, Corbin and South are still a couple of steps ahead, but those two teams are gaining.
-
Bell Co. or Middlesboro?
How will the coaching change effect the Bobcats?
-
Top 5 teams in the 13th region next year?
I see the Region coming down to these 8 teams: 49th District: Clay County-Champion North Laurel-Runner-up 50th District: Corbin- Champion South Laurel-runner-up 51st District: Knox Central-Champion Barbourville-Runner-up 52nd District: Bell County-Champion Harlan County-Runnerup I think alot of it will come down to the draw. I think there will not be a lot of upsets in the first round, the second round is where it will get interesting. IF Coach Elam does not have a break down, and Corbin lives up to the hype, then I could see a Corbin verses Knox Central Final. BUT it could easily be any of the four winners.
-
Top 5 teams in the 13th region next year?
There were alot of factors that went into Corbin giving up the lead last year, one of which was not coaching ability but immaturity on the part of the fans, players and coaches. I thought Coach P did all he could to reign in the players by calling a time out at the right point, but the fans and even some of his coaches were too far gone to reel back in. Had Corbin stayed with what they were doing and continued to play hard instead of thinking the game was over they would have won. Plus South made some incrediable plays in that run. Now part of that is coaching, but don't put that all on Tony. I thought his assistants let him down during that game. To this year, I think that Corbin is far and away the best team on paper, but you have to consider Knox Central, Bell, Clay, and some unkown (at this point) darkhorse. The real darkhorse may be South Laurel, that is a new role for them in this region.
-
Travel Costs this upcoming Season
Some schools have made adjustments in how they bill. Used to some schools would pay for any sports related trip, now some are billing the sport, which either comes out of the booster account or the school fund for that sport. I see the second option as robbing Peter to pay Paul. Too much other money is devoted to most sports to change games and other aspects of the sports season. I could see it maybe causing some teams to rethink going to camp or clinics too far from home. I really see it hitting basketball, baseball and softbal much more than football, since they have longer seasons and more away games, even to the point you may not be seeing teams travel to Florida for Spring Break.
-
Bell Co.
YeP!!! It is a done deal, Ledington has been at Whitley and is going to be teaching and coaching.
-
McCreary Central 2008/2009
Point 1: Raider Rob does not choke in big games....Hmmmm beats team in reagular season but loses in post season to them. Cough......Cough "Are you okay Mr. Raider????" Point 2: SW will not have to rely on deliberate offense, if it works don't fix it, why would they change their game plan to suit MC.....Huuurrmmmppppphhhhh "OMG call an ambulance something is wrong!!!!!!!" Point 3. Raider Rob's job is secure regardless of record.....so truely what is his motivation to excell as a coach?.................Full out choke by the administration if that is true. "Too late just call the funeral home"
-
McCreary Central 2008/2009
Sure McCreary will be the favorite to win their district, and one of the favorites in the region but face it, Raider Rob has had several chances to get it done and refresh my memory....how may region rings does he have? No, He has taken them as far as he can, sometimes it is time to see the handwriting on the wall, Time to bring in a "Coach" who can get them over the hump.
-
Top 5 teams in the 13th region next year?
Seriously, I think Whitley will be much improved but they are not ready to sustain Championship play for a whole season, although on given nights they could throw a monkey wrench in the works, and if they are playing well late in the season....................................you just never know.
-
Guess who said it for Corbin and Middlesboro fans (anyone can guess)?
I never said it was fear, and I don't think it is the reason they don't play. BUT those are games not only fans of the schools, but fans across SEKY would love to see played. Certainly there is bad blood between these schools,(that is what makes great rivalries) but what better place to settle differences than on the confines of the football field. Sometimes ADULTS (myself included) get in the way of what it is all about.
-
Guess who said it for Corbin and Middlesboro fans (anyone can guess)?
I heard from a Bell County person that Steve Jewell stopped playing becuase he did not like the way Dudley Hilton ran his program. True or not I can't say but I can say I believed the person who told me that.
-
Guess who said it for Corbin and Middlesboro fans (anyone can guess)?
Regardless of class Corbin and Middlesboro have strong programs, and when you play the tough games it just makes you better. Corbin never backed down from playing good teams in the 70's, 80's and 90s, playing in the (now defunct) ThoroughBred Bowl, and traveling all over the state, taking the likes of GRC and Bryan Station, or course they were down the years that Corbin played them but my point I think is valid. Corbin could compete with them, and for whatever reason does not play them.
-
Bell Co.
I a bit surprised John Smith did not go to Middlesboro, and Ledington back to Corbin but I think both schools will be happy with their coaches.
-
Whitley Co 2008/2009
I think that you hit the nail on the head. Whitley has had like 4 or 5 coaches in the ten years, which has not helped. Chris Baker-1 year so far, looks like he will get two. Mike Deaton-1 year Darrel Guffey-2 years Brian Evans-3 years Dook Combs-1 year Mike Maxey-4 years Rich Prewitt-2 years Jimmy Voight-3 year (?) John Davenport- unk... They seemed to make some progress last year, and this year could be more progress if things continue on the same path. They are FINALLY going to have some upper classmen, which over the past few years has been a rarity.
-
Bell Co.
I am surprised that neither school has had a press release on their new coaches.
-
Guess who said it for Corbin and Middlesboro fans (anyone can guess)?
I would like to see the natural rival games return, it was a shame that Steve Jewell ended this series. Playing tough games and tough teams will prepare any team for the playoffs.
-
Bell Co.
I also think that if it happens it would be a rare thing for two schools in the same region to exchange coaches.