Travel Costs this upcoming Season

With the escalating cost of fuel and travel, how will this affect your high school team. Combine with redistricting and the increased costs, will have to either be absorbed or passed along.

Include JV, Freshman, Middle School and it can get extremely expensive for many school districts.

What changes if any, are being considered or planned by your school. Is a Saturday game, with multiple teams or age groups a possibility. Limited scheduling, with those teams in your area, regardless of Class?

With the escalating cost of fuel and travel, how will this affect your high school team. Combine with redistricting and the increased costs, will have to either be absorbed or passed along.

Include JV, Freshman, Middle School and it can get extremely expensive for many school districts.

What changes if any, are being considered or planned by your school. Is a Saturday game, with multiple teams or age groups a possibility. Limited scheduling, with those teams in your area, regardless of Class?

Harlan County High School was trying to get some game close to home,but it didnt happen.. Maybe in 09 it will be a little easier to get some closer games...

I know that Fulton City only has 9 games scheduled this year just like last year. I would have thought with the season that they had last year and bringing back some of that team they would have been able to fill up their schedule, but cost may have been the factor.

I know that Fulton City only has 9 games scheduled this year just like last year. I would have thought with the season that they had last year and bringing back some of that team they would have been able to fill up their schedule, but cost may have been the factor.
Do you think, they are looking for another home game and/or, attempting to include an additional game.

I can see these 2yr contract games, home/home changing due to the escalating fuel costs.

Do you think they would meet a team half way?

• 3 weeks later...

Actually when this thread was started, oil was on its way to $150 / barrel. Today it is down to $126 / barrel which won't be realized at the pump til just about the beginning of the football season. So if it stays low, cost shouldn't be much different from last year. If it rises again, it may not effect the teams til near the end of the season.

Actually when this thread was started, oil was on its way to $150 / barrel. Today it is down to $126 / barrel which won't be realized at the pump til just about the beginning of the football season. So if it stays low, cost shouldn't be much different from last year. If it rises again, it may not effect the teams til near the end of the season.

But schools have already contracted for diesel for at least three months, through most of football season. So they may have locked in a higher price. its always a gamble. but cost will factor into a lot of things this year.

But schools have already contracted for diesel for at least three months, through most of football season. So they may have locked in a higher price. its always a gamble. but cost will factor into a lot of things this year.
Louisville Western's first three games are:

at Marion County (vs. West Jessamine)

at Bryan Station

at Breckinridge County

Sure to put a dent in the travel budget.

Some schools have made adjustments in how they bill. Used to some schools would pay for any sports related trip, now some are billing the sport, which either comes out of the booster account or the school fund for that sport. I see the second option as robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Too much other money is devoted to most sports to change games and other aspects of the sports season. I could see it maybe causing some teams to rethink going to camp or clinics too far from home.

I really see it hitting basketball, baseball and softbal much more than football, since they have longer seasons and more away games, even to the point you may not be seeing teams travel to Florida for Spring Break.