Everything posted by HSBallFan78
-
Lexington Catholic 79 Bryan Station 63
"The only call I thought was bad was the technical on Combs". Did I say anything about charging? I am sure the refs called a foul on LexCath everytime they touched Station last night! (sarcasm) The refs called it to LexCath's style of ball. Bryan Station couldn't adjust, so they got thumped. I was very complimentary of how Catholic has played of late. Both on this board and others. I think they will be hard to beat in the sweet 16. I am hoping to see LexCath and Mason in the finals. But Catholic fans have got to quit being so sensitive. You won. Enjoy.
-
Mason Co 82 Montgomery Co 61 ( 10th region final)
First round could be a "trap game" against Elliott if they don't come to play. Mason needs to not only keep winning, but get better each game. They will have to play at 110%. After watching Catholic thump Station last night, Mason better be ready if they get to the finals. Catholic has improved big time since they last played Mason. Here's hoping for a Mason vs Catholic final.
-
Officiating Question (from 11th Region Finals)
I thought that might be the case. I have even seen the refs throw the ball to the player, and he drops it or it comes back out on the court. Usually, they go get it or blow the whistle and get the ball back. Thanks....
-
Officiating Question (from 11th Region Finals)
I have a question for any basketball officials about a non-call last night in the Bryan Station vs Catholic game. Here is the situation..... Early in the game, and Catholic was making their 7-0 run. Catholic scores a basket Station kid runs out of bounds at the baseline to await the ball to bring it in A Catholic kid picks up the ball, and throws it at the Station kid standing out of bounds at the baseline Ball hits the Station kid in the face and bounces back on the court Catholic picks it up and scores a basket Refs let the basket count Was that legal by KHSAA rules? Looks like if this were legal, it would be a pretty good strategy. I do not think Catholic did it intentionally. They were just trying to help the refs out by picking up the loose ball after their shot, and throwing it to Bryan Station. Just wondering .... Thanks...
-
Lexington Catholic 79 Bryan Station 63
Refs - there does seem to be a new crop of officials working their way up through the ranks. I see new refs go from freshman to varsity in 1-2 years. I think the way the refs called the LexCath vs Station game had an impact. But, I am not implying they gave the game to LexCath. It was pretty evenly called both ways. It was really a style of officiating last night. They called it very close, especially in the first half. No incidental bumping or hand checking. That impacted Bryan Station because of the style of defense they play. Most of Stations offense comes off their defense. Play helter-skelter. The only call that I thought was bad was the technical on Combs in the first half. I was sitting 2 rows up along the baseline where the call happened. The block call on Combs could have went either way. There was a little shuffling by both players immediately after the play. But Combs started backing up, and put his hands up like he was trying to get away from the LexCath kid. The ref gave him a technical. Now he could have said something that I couldn't hear. But he definitely wasn't going after the LexCath kid. This is 3-4 years now that Station had their chances with good teams but couldn't get it done. Catholic looks posed to make a great run at another title.
-
Franklin County WILL be the Best team in the 11th region in 08-09
There are so many good seniors graduating from the 11th this year. I think it is way to early to predict who things will shape up a year from now. These kids have at least 2 other seasons to play before Oct 15th (AAU and Summer ball). It will be interesting to see how all the young players develop and mesh into the remaining returning starters.
-
Lexington Catholic 79 Bryan Station 63
I think Morones is a Junior for Station, along with Ashford. Only 2 starters back for them next year. They will be rebuilding big time, and I wonder if they'll have a new coach. Station was unable to play their style tonight. If what they do works, they will kill you. If not, then you saw it tonight. Most of their offense comes off defense.
-
Lexington Catholic 79 Bryan Station 63
I think Stewart might of moved up scholarship wise if he had waited until the end of season. Air Force is getting a very versatile player. I think he is the best all around player on Catholics team.
-
Franklin County WILL be the Best team in the 11th region in 08-09
Dunbar, Scott Co and LexCath will be top of the 11th. Then Tates Creek, Madison Central, and possibly Henry Clay. In fact, their will be a lot of rebuilding in the 11th. Scott Co, LexCath, Henry Clay and Bryan Station all loose a good number of very good seniors. Should be fun again next year and very completive.
-
Lexington Catholic 79 Bryan Station 63
I have not seen either Holmes or Cov-Cath this year. But didn't Cov-Cath beat Lex-Cath first game of the season? The thing to me is how much Lex-Cath has improved since late December. I saw both of their Mason County games mid-season. Lex-Cath has come a long way since those 2 games. Mason will have to play great from start to finish, including Miller to beat Catholic. Smart is hitting shots like crazy right now. Taylor Stewart is such a versatile player. He was bring the ball down against the Station press tonight, hitting free throws getting rebound, and taking it to the basket. Stewart is a kid who has made great improvement his senior year. Novosel is always tough around the basket. And Tribble and Botkin just do so many fundamental things well. I was very impressed tonight. Should be a fun Sweet 16.
-
Lexington Catholic 79 Bryan Station 63
I do think it hurts Mack's chances at Mr Basketball. He would have had to gotten Station deep into the Sweet 16 to have a chance. I would say Miller is leading slightly over Hopson. May come down to who has a better Sweet 16. Regardless, I am just happy to see so many talented players in KY right now.
-
Lexington Catholic 79 Bryan Station 63
I really thought it would be close. Catholic had a big early lead and got Station out of their game. Station couldn't play agressively because the refs called it close. A lot of Stations offense comes off turnovers. Which they didn't get too many of tonight. Not sure what Mack's final stats were, but it was the worst game I have seen him play in a while. Catholic was really impressive tonight against a good Station team. They have gotten better the last month of the season. I don't see anyone challenging Catholic except maybe Mason or Cov-Cath. A Mason vs Catholic final would be pretty sweet. Congrats to Catholic and to Bryan Station. Both had great seasons. Too bad the 11th is so good and one has to go home.
-
Central Hardin 63 Adair County 58 - 5th Region Semis
I too am surprised. I saw Adair a few times this year. At times, they looked very very good. The only "clunker" I saw them throw in was against Lafayette in OT.
-
Montgomery County vs. Henry Clay Predictions
I think Henry Clay by 8-10 points. They are pretty big and talented. Also seem to be on a hot streak beating #1 and #2 in back to back nights. But then again, these are teenagers so who can really know?
-
LexCath 80 Scott County 54 - 11th region semis!
Smart will be a good player at Vandy. Fits right in with their style of play. Of course, Stallings may not be there. I think he will be one of the hottest coaches to move to another school after the season is over. Maybe IU? Does anyone have a link to the Stewart over Phares Dunk? I would like to see that.
-
Adair co.--Cent. Hardin updates
Wow, I was impressed by Adair County throughout the year. Darrin Ballau is a very good ballplayer. Someone to watch next year. Keep us updated on the final score.
-
Henry Clay 47 LexCath 43
Congrats to HC. Anyone have a game breakdown?
-
LexCath vs. Bryan Station - 11th Region Championship
Both teams are pretty even, although they play very different styles. I wouldn't want to put "money" on a win by either. I might give Station the edge, just because I am so impressed with Mack in tough game situations. This one could go either way. BTW, I wonder if Champ Ligon will be back at Bryan Station next year regardless of how they finish out?
-
LexCath 80 Scott County 54 - 11th region semis!
Repeat2008 (Scott County fan I assume) - I don't think you can blame a 26 point win on the refs. They called technicals on both coaches during the game. I have no doubt SC got frustrated late, as I have seen it from them before. Both teams had runs. Unfortunately, LC had the last one at the end. It happens. SC has had a very good basketball program for 10+ years now. All their fans should be very proud. It is hard to win even one Sweet 16, let alone back to back. Even as good as SC was last year, they had to make a great comeback in the finals to win. Basketball in KY is very exciting. I hope the Sweet 16 can be as good as some of these district and region games have been. The best 4 teams in the 11th were in the semi-finals, and the best 2 are in the finals. Catholic or Bryan Station will represent the 11th well at Rupp.
-
LexCath 80 Scott County 54 - 11th region semis!
When SC plays a physical teams and get frustrated, they tend to start getting a lot of fouls and sometimes technicals. I believe Hicks has gotten at least one other technical during the tournament games this year that hurt them (Bryan Station big one at the half). Also, I heard he was pretty vocal with the refs during the Franklin game as well. Catholic's coach also got a big technical in the first half of the game. Phares hit 2 foul shots, and 1/2 technicals. So it seems them called them on both teams. I know I get bashed on here by the Scott County fans for talking about Hicks. But he complains to the refs pretty much non-stop every game I have watched them play over the last 5-6 years. Also, I have a good friend who was a ref in the 8th a few years ago when SC was there. (He is now a ref in the 11th primarily.) He says Hicks is non-stop in his ear from the time the game starts to it ends. Complains primarily about how fouls are called. My ref friend says the games are a lot more physical now and players are faster than just 8-10 years ago. That it is much harder to call games than before. Some coaches still think basketball is a "non-contact" sport, and that is what gets them in trouble. Hicks is super nice person off the court and has been very gracious every time I have ever had an interaction with him. But when the game starts, he flips a switch, and becomes different personality. Of course, a lot of coaches are like that, so I am not singling him out. Scott was a very good team this year, but no where close to last year. I thought last years Scott County team was one of the best HS teams I have seen in a long time. Loosing Walls and Mackey really hurt them. They struggled with the point guard this year. Early on they tried Guyn, but he had too many turnovers. They never fully were able to handle to ball well. If you put a 2-2-1 full court press on SC, their guards really struggled. Phares will be a top player in the state next year. If Guyn can get a jump shot, he will be hard to handle. The young Manning kid will be tough. I am not sure who will be their point guard next year, but could be their downfall if they don't have someone in the wings. Congrats to SC on a very good year, in a tough district and region. If they were in any one of a half dozen other regions, they'd be dancing in Lexington in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to Catholic vs Bryan Station. When all was said and done, these are the 2 best teams in the 11th this year. So the system worked I guess.
-
Henry Clay 53 Dunbar 42
Big upset I guess. However, I think Henry Clay took them to double OT during the season. My guess is Catholic beats them in the finals. The girls won't have much time to prepare before their Sweet16 this week.
-
LexCath vs. Bryan Station - 11th Region Championship
It should be great. Too bad this is a regional finals. Would make a great Sweet 16 Semi-final or Final game. I would give Station the edge, but wouldn't put "money" on either team. Two different and contrasting styles of basketball. Depends on who is able to play their style. Wow, can't wait!
-
LexCath 80 Scott County 54 - 11th region semis!
Catholic lead most of the game. Scott made a couple of runs to get it close. 54-50 LC with about 5 minutes to go. Then LC went on a 26-4 run to end the game. I plan to be there on Tuesday night for what should be a great game. Two contrasting styles of play. Too bad #1 and #2 have to play in a regional final. This would be a great sweet 16 semi or final game. I think Station wins this, but it could be close until the end. Mack is excellent and a great senior leader. However LC has a great core senior class with Stewart, Novasel, Smart. Should be fun.
-
Scott County vs Lex Cath Updates
Thanks for the updates. I can't get a good stream on Wazhoo or the Scott County Radio broadcast. Unless the Cards make a big run, looks like #1 vs #2 on Tuesday.
-
Scott County vs Lex Cath Updates
The Cards need one more good run to make it a finish.