Everything posted by HSBallFan78
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
Thats too bad if Shotwell isn't eligible. He seems to be developing a lot the last year. Of course Scott County is loaded, but he can definitely help them by his junior/senior years.
-
Tyler Portwood signs with Union College
Congrats to Portwood. He will be a great player for them.
-
The Future of AAU All Star Teams
AAU is definitely changing the game, and especially the recruiting. I think the NCAA is already making some changes to try and de-emphasize AAU. I think they may limit (further) when college coaches can actually watch AAU. Yes, most AAU teams are just just a bunch of talented players thrown together. I think the Shining Star squads play together pretty well as a team. Also, the Lexington ICE are a good example of a group that plays excellent team ball. (why they are state champs I guess)
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
Just crazy stuff at sporting events now a days!
-
King of the Bluegrass field announced
Scott County probably thinks the competition isn't good enough for them! It is a week earlier this year for the boys. Last year, it was between Christmas and new years. Scott County usually takes a national trip somewhere the week before, so maybe that is why they actually aren't in it. Would like to see Jon Hood again next season. Lexinton Catholic should be good also, and Anderson.
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
I thought the KHSAA approved a new rule within the last year about transferring between public and private schools. It was a compromise instead of having 2 separate state tournaments. Maybe I am wrong (getting older ya know). Anyway, if I am incorrect, I apologize. Any KHSAA rule guru's out there? Thanks....
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
Did Shotwell fall under the new KHSAA rule about transferring between public and private schools?
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
Hate to hear that about Shotwell if true. However, he may not be the last "transferee" that we hear this about in the next few months. I think the KHSAA is going to have to do some kind of reform with all the transferring that is going on. Either let every transfer go, or make them all sit out a year regardless. Or maybe adopt rules like in Ohio. I think there, you can do one transfer during your "career" regardless of reason.
-
State AAU tourneys next weekend
Me too .... I hadn't heard Kimbro was leaving KY. Last I heard he had a broken wrist and was just out a few weeks. A reinury from last season was the word I had got. Anyone got more up to date info?
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
ICE Purvis from Clark has made a lot of progress in the last couple of years. He has huge feet and is still pretty young (maybe 14). So probably a lot of growing left to do. He could really use some individual coaching with a "big mans coach". Yea, forgot about Cabbot Haggin not being with them. I know he has played with them in the past. Another very good guard who can take it to the basket. Started for Sayre as a freshman this past year. Taylor Barnette - I have seen him before and he is a tremendous pure shooter. The games I saw this weekend, he didn't shoot very well. Off weekend I guess. His dad is very tall, so he may grow some more. And he is only 14. His sister just verballed to UK womens team. 2nd half of that finals, Wilder and Fucci were unstoppable. It was fun to watch. They took it to the basket trip after trip. Basically dared the Stars to stop them. I think that is why there were more fouls in the 2nd half. A lot of drives by Fucci and Wilder. My guess is several of the players from the finals will be getting interest from college coaches if not already. And I suspect we will see some of them at D1 schools in about 4 years. Finally, Shining Stars (Pittman) are a very good 15U squad. SS and ICE 15U definitely top of the 15U in the state this year. Good luck to both teams in the summer.
-
Shining Star 17 U
"Rumor #1 is" Charlotte Court didn't think the competition was good enough for them to compete in the state AAU's. "Rumor # 2 is" that several of the players are unhappy with the new coaches this season and have transferred to other squads. I am leaning towards Rumor # 2.
-
State AAU tourneys next weekend
Having a lot of talent, and being a good team are not one and the same sometimes. A lot of AAU teams load up for the State and other big tournaments. If you are only missing a key position or 2, it may work. Many times, you just mess us the chemistry. Especially if you have too many players who just want to score. Saw KY players in 2 of their games this weekend. A lot of talent that went to waste. Basically just street ball. I could not believe they lost to Higher Level, especially by 17 points. If you like team basketball, watch the Shining Stars or the Lexington ICE.
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
I agree that many parents, coaches and fans get out of control at games. It really is a shame, as everyone needs to be setting an example for the kids.
-
State AAU tourneys next weekend
Some 15U players I was impressed with this weekend. Ryan Fucci - Tates Creek Scott Schuette - Lexington Catholic Brandon Wilder - Henry Clay Gilbert - Mason County
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
A few points. Fucci - my understanding is that he is 16. Not sure if he was held back somewhere along the way or no. Regardless an unbelievable talent. Has the best basketball IQ of any young player I have ever seen in person. Started for Tates Creek as a freshman, and played very very well. Also a great football and baseball player. Wilder - another kid to keep an eye on. I think he started for Henry Clay freshman as an 8th grader and was 6th man on varsity as a freshman. HC was senior laden, so he didn't get as much PT this year, but still averaged about 6-8/game. Should start and contribute big time this next year. Shotwell - at LCA this past year I believe, but rumor is he is going back to Scott County. Have seen him play this spring, and is growing and developing. Someone else to keep an eye on. Schuette/Deluca/Martin of Lexington Catholic all local players to watch out for also. Schuette/Deluca are fantastic shooters. Schuette has more range. Martin can shoot pretty well, but he is a defensive specialist. Foul Disparity - no way it was 20-4 for the ICE. In the first half, the Shinings Stars were in the 1 and 1 pretty early and shooting 2 shots before the ICE got into the 1 and 1. 2nd half, I do believe the Shining Stars had more fouls but not 20-4. But many of the fouls on Shining Stars were intentional and came late when they were trying to rally back. Both coaches got technicals. And both teams had players who got technicals. My experience over the years is KBA does not have great overall officiating. Personally, I thought the refs were overly sensitive in a lot of games this weekend.
-
Shining Star 17 U
Very good team. I have seen them a couple of times this season, including the state AAU. Pulled it out with 3 seconds to go in the semi-finals, after HLB missed 2 free throws. Most of these guys will play somewhere at the next level. Congratulations to SS 17U.
-
GRC
I thought you had to teach to be able to coach in KY. Guess not.
-
State AAU tourneys next weekend
Shining Stars are definitely consolidating much of the best talent in the area. (I think it is sponsored by Michael Jordan). Some of the other "group AAU" teams didn't seem as strong this year. Derek Smith seemed down. I don't even think they had a 15U team. (Royal Family had several of the 15U DSAS, but were beaten by the ICE) HLB looked very good, but just couldn't get it done. The Ville and Charlotte Court (aka Blaze) didn't even show up. (although several of their players joined the Shinings Stars and played this weekend.) KY players were supposed to be the team to beat, but fizzled in the round of 8. I agree a lot of strong talent from the Northern KY area. A lot of the Shining Star players come from all over KY. I saw Botkin and Sanford from Catholic. CJ Penny from Anderson, and others playing on Shining Stars. Maybe there needs to be a Central KY "chapter" of the Shining Stars. I bet it would do well. Definitely a shift going on in KY AAU. Good or bad? Time will tell....
-
15U State Champions - Lexington ICE
Congrats to the Lexington ICE.... Saw parts of several of the ICE games this weekend. They are really the essence of "Team Basketball". Very smart and play well together. Excellent passing and defensive anticipation. The Shining Stars (Pittman) is a loaded 15U team. I expected them to beat the ICE by double digits. And actually they were up 10-12 in the 2nd period. But ICE came back strong in the 3rd and 4th periods. Two of the kids from the ICE (Fucci and Wilder) were unstoppable in the 2nd half. I think they may have scored all the 2nd half points. Schuette (pronounced "shootie" - appropriate name) and Gilbert are fantastic 3 point shooters. Schuette is also very good defensively. Shining Stars coach got 2 technicals late and got tossed. Turned a 6 point lead for the ICE into a 12 point lead. But to balance things out, the ICE got 2 technicals in the first half. (KBA does need to improve the skill of their officiating crews) Several of the players on the ICE (Wilder, Fucci, Shotwell, Deluca, Martin) and Shining Stars (Pawsett, Schuette, Gilbert, Barber, King twins) will be players to watch in high school the next 3 years. Good state tournament in all the age groups this weekend.
-
State AAU tourneys next weekend
Yep, Shining Stars almost swept except for 15U which Lexington ICE won. They are becoming a very good AAU franchise. The pool/bracket play seemed kind of unusual this weekend for all 3 age groups. Several of the pool winners had to play an extra game on Saturday evening. Some didn't. Really didn't seem fair to all teams.
-
State AAU tourneys next weekend
I think this Shining Stars is based in Northern KY/Cincinnati. Yes, they are quickly consolidating the best talent in the area into their various teams and age groups. Wish there were some teams in Central KY area. See their website below. http://www.shiningstarsports.com/
-
State AAU tourneys next weekend
Which KY Player team lost? Which age? And what players were on the team? Too many teams being thrown around right now; can't keep up.
-
State AAU tourneys next weekend
Shining Stars have a pretty good rosters of teams in all the age groups. That is a fast growing, high quality organization. They seem to be loading up on top talent the last 3-4 years. Yea, I saw the SS 17U this morning. They look very good. Glad to see CJ Penny on the team. Saw him a few weeks ago with Charlotte Court, and they totally under-utilized him. He should be a top 10 player in the senior classs this year. Shaping up to be one of the better KY AAU tournaments in a while. A lot of good teams, but unfortunately only one winner per age group. I am glad to see the KY basketball talent on the rise the last few years.
-
Harlan County High Bears
Good Point!
-
Harlan County High Bears
Should make them a very powerful player in the 13th region. Always happy when those non-major market schools do well. Guess we all have a little "Hoosiers" or "Rudy" in our veins. At least I do. Will be watching them play some games this summer and next season.