Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Shabazz worth it?

Featured Replies

I'm talking about his Game, he got mad game!

 

I'm talking about the NCAA luggage he just received. I'm just affraid that even if he is initially cleared or penalized and allowed to play, it could end up a Derrek Rose situation. NCAA goes back at him again later and even though they cleared him they would go back and penalize any school that he goes to.

 

So my question is, is he worth the risk?

Rose situation was completely different in that it didn't involve money. I'd say he's worth it, but I think he probably just got a pat on the back telling him to hurry up and decided before you don't have too many choices.

One player isn't bigger than the University. Why even take a chance.

One player isn't bigger than the University. Why even take a chance.

 

They have nothing to lose bringing him in. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if Cal backs off, but the issues with Bazz have zero to do with any of the universities going after him. They sign him and he's ruled ineligible all they lose is a scholarship. Not a big deal.

Definitely worth it, have to stay on him and recruit him hard even if he never plays a college game. Thing is, it's not as bad as what it would seem. If the findings are true and nothing else is wrong, Muhammad had been connected to these guys since he was in 6th grade. Unofficial visits in question were to Duke and North Carolina his sophomore year and the one associate was from North Carolina or lived there or something of that nature. Basically the way I understood it was Ron Holmes (Shabazz's father) had befriended these individuals well before Shabazz Muhammad the prep star was ever even a thought. The NCAA does allow for relatives and family friends to pay for expenses as long as there was a relationship that dates back before the recruitment began. I mean obviously if the guys a financial adviser and a good friend of the family of course the family is going to go with him in financial situations whether past or future. So unless something else comes out about any other wrong doing I see Muhammad maybe paying back the expenses and sitting a couple games and that being the max.

 

Furthermore, the coaches involved in the recruitment have probably known this for some time, it's just now coming out to the media.

They have nothing to lose bringing him in. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if Cal backs off, but the issues with Bazz have zero to do with any of the universities going after him. They sign him and he's ruled ineligible all they lose is a scholarship. Not a big deal.

 

 

Agreed, sign him and don't play him until all of the dust settles. If he never plays, so be it.

Agreed, sign him and don't play him until all of the dust settles. If he never plays, so be it.

 

So you'd rather have him sit all year over the opportunity to recruit a kid who will play?

So you'd rather have him sit all year over the opportunity to recruit a kid who will play?

 

That would be a valid point if there was another option out there, but there's not. Right now they're trying to add Bazz, Bennett, and Noel. If they stop pursuing Bazz, they'll be trying to add Bennett and Noel. There isn't that "plan B" guy they're going after if Bazz goes elsewhere.

So you'd rather have him sit all year over the opportunity to recruit a kid who will play?

 

Play it the opposite way. We don't recruit him and then he goes to Duke or UCLA or wherever and it's all settled by summer and he get's to play. Like I said I would take my chances on him being eligible rather than regret not having gone after him after the fact. It's not like UK is hurting for scholly's and even if it pushed other kids away out of fear of not being able to play over him I still say it's worth it.

So you'd rather have him sit all year over the opportunity to recruit a kid who will play?

 

Scholarships are unlikely to be an issue. If Shabazz isn't using it, it will likely be Polson or Long.

One player isn't bigger than the University. Why even take a chance.

 

I agree.

I think my answer to this question would also come after we know whether MKG stays or not.

 

Also, not saying they (Duke & UNC) should get into any trouble. But I'm glad Kentucky's name isn't attached as one of the schools he visited during the time in question.

If we get Noel, MKG stays, or both, then I think we'd be fine just letting go of Bazz. Only reason I'm scared of him is because I'm scared of how the NCAA handles these types of situations sometimes. Sure they can clear him, say we're good to go and all that. Then we win a championship, NCAA decides they made a mistake letting him play, we're stripped of our title, and things for Cal really heat up. That's the risk. Is the reward of Bazz for one year worth that risk?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.