Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"Christianity in America is in danger."

Featured Replies

I'm out for many other reasons, but I do agree with this. I also feel we should do away with a lot of those arcane rules and thinking.

 

Due to verses in the bible that either directly make claims or have been interpreted to do so I don't think that will happen. However, we should be worrying more about loving our fellow man than judging him. I know some will say I'm sounding like that guy with the big teeth (Osteen?) but we'd have a better world IMO if we got past some of the things many churches seem to get caught up in.

  • Replies 118
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Due to verses in the bible that either directly make claims or have been interpreted to do so I don't think that will happen. However, we should be worrying more about loving our fellow man than judging him. I know some will say I'm sounding like that guy with the big teeth (Osteen?) but we'd have a better world IMO if we got past some of the things many churches seem to get caught up in.

 

I believe doctrine is important, but Jesus said that the primary attribute by which the world would identify Christians is that of love.

Due to verses in the bible that either directly make claims or have been interpreted to do so I don't think that will happen. However, we should be worrying more about loving our fellow man than judging him. I know some will say I'm sounding like that guy with the big teeth (Osteen?) but we'd have a better world IMO if we got past some of the things many churches seem to get caught up in.

I agree. I do realize my opinion is probably not one most churches care to hear though.

I believe doctrine is important, but Jesus said that the primary attribute by which the world would identify Christians is that of love.
...and from an outsider's perspective, this is not how many non-Christians view them.
I believe doctrine is important, but Jesus said that the primary attribute by which the world would identify Christians is that of love.

 

Agreed on doctrine. However, if you turn people off , as we're seeing today, you'll never get to the point of doctrine details because the flock will be gone.

 

That's why IMO we're seeing such popularity with churches like Crossroads in Cincinnati.

Why do you feel the college educated are less likely to be faithful?

 

On one hand, I think those going to college are typically young and it's their first experience in life where they are in almost complete control of their decision-making. So, when they exit college they come away with different experiences and newfound independence. If you don't go to college you might be more likely to stay in your hometown, follow your parents footsteps more closely, keep the same routines, etc. On the other hand I think if you go to college you are going to be exposed to a diversity of people and opinions and you might come away with a different perspective. I think this is in line with what I was saying before about young people usually being more open about certain societal issues that the church is more rigid on. I imagine that would challenge one's faith moreso than the independence.

Here's my wife's uncle. One of the few heroes I have. He walks the walk every day and engages people who have struggled with addictions, poverty, and poor life decisions. He isn't interested in preaching to them about doctrine. He told me once that "I want them to all know they have value." That's walking the walk IMO and it's missing.

 

WQED > OnQ OnDemand > Father Regis Ryan

Agreed on doctrine. However, if you turn people off , as we're seeing today, you'll never get to the point of doctrine details because the flock will be gone.

 

That's why IMO we're seeing such popularity with churches like Crossroads in Cincinnati.

 

I couldn't agree more Clyde.

On one hand, I think those going to college are typically young and it's their first experience in life where they are in almost complete control of their decision-making. So, when they exit college they come away with different experiences and newfound independence. If you don't go to college you might be more likely to stay in your hometown, follow your parents footsteps more closely, keep the same routines, etc. On the other hand I think if you go to college you are going to be exposed to a diversity of people and opinions and you might come away with a different perspective. I think this is in line with what I was saying before about young people usually being more open about certain societal issues that the church is more rigid on. I imagine that would challenge one's faith moreso than the independence.
That's pretty much what I thought, thanks for the expanded explanation.

 

I also think in some cases -- especially with children from rural areas and the bible belt -- they start to realize it's ok not to be a Christian and contrary to what they've been told many, many non-believers actually exist.

 

In other countries atheism and agnosticism seem to be more commonly accepted (think Europe or Australia), any thoughts on why this is?

That's pretty much what I thought, thanks for the expanded explanation.

 

I also think in some cases -- especially with children from rural areas and the bible belt -- they start to realize it's ok not to be a Christian and contrary to what they've been told many, many non-believers actually exist. To expand upon this point, I would add that they also find out that, despite what members of their family who almost never venture out beyond the county line might say, those non-believers often seem like pretty nice folks.

 

In other countries atheism and agnosticism seem to be more commonly accepted (think Europe or Australia), any thoughts on why this is?

 

Not sure -- perhaps because of population density and/or less of a homogenous upbringing?

When kids go to college that went to church and dont come home on weekends they dont try to go find a new church. So if they are not going to church and sleeping in on Sunday, well it is easy to sleep in on Sunday morning (devil at work) and it just becomes a natural to sleep in. No parents to guide them at college.

 

They get lazy and complaicent. I think though a lot will eventualy go back to church when they get older.

 

Todays generation has to have fun, a lot of churches now have super bowl parties at church and preach during commercials.

Agreed on doctrine. However, if you turn people off , as we're seeing today, you'll never get to the point of doctrine details because the flock will be gone.

 

That's why IMO we're seeing such popularity with churches like Crossroads in Cincinnati.

What turns me off was the recent changes in Mass.
What turns me off was the recent changes in Mass.

 

I'm finally stopped saying "and also...and with your spirit."

First, disregard anything Mr Santorum says. I truly believe he is intelligent but he's not a great thinker. Or he simply says crap to appeal to the crazies.
I would say it's the latter ...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.