Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Exceeding Expectations??

Have the Uniblocker & MKG Exceeded Your Expectations? 39 members have voted

  1. 1. Have the Uniblocker & MKG Exceeded Your Expectations?

    • Yes, I can't believe they're this good!
      64%
    • They're exactly who I thought they would be
      35%
    • Nope, they need to improve! I expected more!
      0%
      0

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

UK basketball fans are known for having out of this world expectations for their players, most that they can never live up to. For the past two years we've heard about how good Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist were. UK fans were expecting these guys to be "once in a decade" talents. My question, now 25 games into the season, is have they actually not only met those expectations, but been better than advertised?

 

I say yes, what say you?

 

Oh, and the "Uniblocker" is the coolest nickname a UK player has ever had. :lol:

While I didn't think they would be this solid right now, I did think they would be playing like this as a team come SEC tourney. However, some of the indiviudal performances suprises me.

 

I felt like I knew what MKG could/would do. And I had confidence in Jones, Miller, and Lamb to take their games up a notch this year. I had no idea about Teague, and Davis is definitely surpassing any expectations I would have have.

I don't remember anyone predicting Davis to be POY. Way above expectations

UK basketball fans are known for having out of this world expectations for their players, most that they can never live up to. For the past two years we've heard about how good Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist were. UK fans were expecting these guys to be "once in a decade" talents. My question, now 25 games into the season, is have they actually not only met those expectations, but been better than advertised?

 

I say yes, what say you?

 

Oh, and the "Uniblocker" is the coolest nickname a UK player has ever had. :lol:

 

Agreed!

Based on what I'd heard and read about them prior to coming to UK and based on Cal's track record with talented freshmen, especially in his brief time at UK, I have to say that they've been pretty much what I expected.

IMO MKG and Davis are much more polished with complete games than Cousins, Wall and Knight. They don't look or play like super talented Freshman, to me they play like super talented and experienced seniors. With Wall, Cousins, etc I still felt they had their freshman moments and I haven't seen that with these two.

IMO MKG and Davis are much more polished with complete games than Cousins, Wall and Knight. They don't look or play like super talented Freshman, to me they play like super talented and experienced seniors. With Wall, Cousins, etc I still felt they had their freshman moments and I haven't seen that with these two.

 

This :thumb:

I don't remember anyone predicting Davis to be POY. Way above expectations

 

I said he would be the best player in the country if that counts... :D

Based on what I'd heard and read about them prior to coming to UK and based on Cal's track record with talented freshmen, especially in his brief time at UK, I have to say that they've been pretty much what I expected.

 

That's a good point. I definitely thought they were going to be studs, but they are dominant in a way I didn't expect.

I was excited when I heard about how highly ranked they were coming in but at the same time so have Cal's last 2 teams. At the beginning of the season I had my doubts, I'm not going to lie I thought Davis was way to thin and maybe even not athletic enough either. I feel silly now and think if I had watched a little more footage of them prior to their arrival at UK I would have understood just how good they were going to be. MKG is really about what I thought he'd be though but his transition game still impresses me every time I watch him play.

That's a good point. I definitely thought they were going to be studs, but they are dominant in a way I didn't expect.

 

Gilchrist - High motor guy, consumate team player, defends, competes hard on both ends, will do the little things to win, leads by example

 

Davis - late bloomer, grew almost a foot while retaining some of the skill he had as a PG, long, athletic, highest upside

 

Teague - needs to improve his shooting, not John Wall, but he has some athleticism, quick, able to break people down, penetrate and get to the rim; some questions about intangibles, decision-making, winning big games, can he run this team effectively with all the talent around him

 

Wiltjer - more polished offensive player, great shooter, good post player; needs to add strength, not a great athlete

 

 

That is pretty much what I recall hearing and reading prior to their arrival and I think they've all been as advertised. As I said in my first post, based on what I heard/read and Cal's track record, fair or not, I expected these guys to play well early and improve as the season progressed playing closer to their potential by the end. I think that is what we're seeing.

 

Davis was an impact player from the start with just his raw physical gifts, but he has made some real strides. I think we've seen his offensive game improve. His shooting looks a little better, and he's developing a bit in the post. But, I'll give you two points that I find more important. His free throw shooting has improved dramatically since the IU game when he missed a crucial one late. Through the IU game, Davis was shooting 52.6% from the FT stripe. Since then, he's shooting 78.2%. Take away a 4 of 10 hiccup at LSU, and he's shooting just under 84% since the IU game. Also, he committed a couple of dumb fouls in that same game and spent much of it on the bench, which had a huge impact on the game. In 3 of the first 9 games, Davis finished with 4 or more fouls. Since then, he's only had two games where he finished with even 3 personal fouls. He has to stay on the court, and I see a guy who is learning to do that without sacrificing any of his defensive effectiveness as a shot blocker and game changer. Also, what a luxury to have a big man who can hit in the neighborhood of 80% from the charity stripe.

 

Teague has improved significantly, IMO. I think with him it is more about awareness, chemistry and trust, but he has become much more efficient and fluid in running the point for this team. I think that comes from developing a certain chemistry and level of trust with not only his teammates, but his coach. I think he is confident that Calipari will guide him in a way that is best for both he and the team. He understands that he doesn't have to make a spectacular play to look good. The ordinary, efficient running of this team will bring its own accolades, and like everyone else that plays, he'll get his chances to make plays during the course of the game without having to force the issue. Prior to the 5 turnovers in the Florida game, Teague had only committed 5 in the previous 4 games combined. Teague also had 10 assists in that Florida game, the first time he's reached double digit assists in his UK career. Since committing 5 turnovers while dishing out one assist in Tennessee on January 14, Teague is averaging 5.4 assists, 2.3 turnovers and 7.1 points per game. That is nearly one assist better than his season average and 0.6 under his season turnover average.

 

Gilchrist has been much as advertised from the start. He brings it and plays hard every night. The great thing is that he seems to elevate his performance against the best competition. For the season, he averages 12.6 points and 7.8 rebounds, shooting 47.9% from the floor. In 5 games against ranked opponents, he averages 14.8 points, 12.2 rebounds, shoots 54.6% fromt he floor and averages a half a turnover less per game. Big game player.

 

Wiltjer obviously plays less, but I think he's shown some improvement as well. I also think Wiltjer is settling into, understanding and accepting his role on this particular team.

Edited by 5wide

  • Author

Great analysis 5wide.

 

I'll add with Wiltjer, I see him being a big-time scorer before his career is over. He kind of reminds me of a less athletic Adam Morrison (is that even possible?) in terms of offensive talent/skill. :lol:

I really like Wiltjer. Glad to have him and I expect him to be a very good player at some point down the road, perhaps next year.

I'd wait until after the NCAAS. Or even after Saturday nite.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.