South Carolina 54 Kentucky 3

swamprat

Joker in over his head plain and simple. I don't understand why UK won't hire a big name coach - we all know money isn't the issue! It's going to take hiring a "name" so that UK can "RISE" to the next level or at least be competitive in SEC football.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you are right to a point oldrambler - who is responsible or who was the main recruiter for this chicken [cat] crap? You guessed it...Joker and gang! I do think there are a few players on the roster that are SEC type players. One that comes to mind is Trevathan....

Everyone, myself included are being too critical of this team!

Other than these insignificant facts ....... U.K. has no one that is SEC caliber talent, even less depth, can't run, pass, defend the run, defennd the pass, play or defend special teams.

^ Considering all of the facts abov the Cats are pretty dang good!

Summary: you can't make chicken salad ou of chicken (Cat) crap.

You can't even hold teams to that in video games.

That's not true. I once used UK in NCAA12 against my buddy, and Newton was 1-12 for 8 yards with 5 INTs. Haven't used the Cats ever again. Appears that EA got this one right when they say "It's in the game".

I think Joker either needs to go with a spread after this year or UK needs to find someone who will. Leach would be great at UK IMO. Rich Rod would as well if UK would give him time to get his guys in there. I just don't think UK will ever have the guys again to be able to be in a pro-style offense and compete in the SEC. The team with Woodson, Little, Stevie J, Burton, Lyons, Tamme, Conner & a young DLocke had as much if not more offensive talent than anyone else in the SEC (for college). Even then I think UK proved that they have to be a team that is going to score alot of points to really compete in the SEC.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing what Kirby Smart could do if Joker is not the answer. Gus Malzahn would be interesting. I'm not in the fire Joker entourage, but I do think it is important for UK to start showing some improvements.

I took a lot of heat from you and others on here about UK just handing the job to Joker. Hopefully you all see now why UK did mess up in just handing him the job. UK was in a position where they were making strides, and the job would have been an attractive job, especially with people like Cobb and Locke on the team. They should have opened up the coaching search, and had Joker as one of the candidates. If he was still the best guy for the job, then yes give it to him. However I think they could have gotten someone better than him, either a top assistant from a good football school, or a top head coach at a smaller school wanting to work his way up. They had a great chance to really keep their program going in the right direction and blew it and hopefully you all see that now too. Now all we can do is sit and wait and hope Joker somehow gets things fixed.

I recall reading on BGP that Rich Brooks had a dismal second year at UK. It looks like Joker's second year will also be that way. IMO Brooks turned UK into a solid program, especially by traditional UK standards.

What are the parallels/contrast between Brooks and Phillips at the second-year stage? How many years should Joker be given to get the job done? Does he have anything in the cupboard?

UK made a good decision to stick with Brooks. Would it be a good decision to stick with Joker?

^The difference is that Joker inherited all the good that Rich Brooks had built. Brooks inherited a worse situation. There was no stability (Morris was there for two years after Mumme left, then Brooks took over). He had to deal with scholarship reductions due to Mumme's crimes. Brooks brought a whole new system and staff. Joker was with Brooks and named the coach-in-waiting. The transition shouldn't have been as drastic. It's not like the players had to learn an entirely new playbook, nor get to know a new staff.

I don't think Joker deserves the same the amount of time. His should have been an ideal situation...he gets to start immediately coaching guys he knows and recruited, who are familiar with the system, etc. I think most fans, like myself, would be more forgiving if the team was competitive. They lost some key players and they play in a brutal conference. We get it. But, there's no excuse for this drastic of a drop in play. It's one thing to miss a bowl game if you had some close losses that could have swung the pendulum. It's quite another to know that your team has no chance of beating a mediocre opponent.

This UK team may be the worst one I've seen. Without a doubt, it is in the discussion. How do you go from being a competitive, bowl team to that in one season?

Other than Jacksonville State, does UK have a chance at winning another game?

I recall reading on BGP that Rich Brooks had a dismal second year at UK. It looks like Joker's second year will also be that way. IMO Brooks turned UK into a solid program, especially by traditional UK standards.

What are the parallels/contrast between Brooks and Phillips at the second-year stage? How many years should Joker be given to get the job done? Does he have anything in the cupboard?

UK made a good decision to stick with Brooks. Would it be a good decision to stick with Joker?

Brooks started with a football program in a mess, Joker was handed a program on the upswing. Quite a different situation in my opinion.

Brooks started with a football program in a mess, Joker was handed a program on the upswing. Quite a different situation in my opinion.
Brooks had Lorenzen at quarterback for his senior year along with Derek Abney and Glenn Holt at receivers and Arliss Beach in the backfield. UK has nothing close to that this year. Let's not act like the cupboard was bare when Brooks took over. There was enough there to play Arkansas to multiple overtimes, play Alabama to within 10 points and Tennessee to within 13 points. Brooks went from 4-8 to 2-9 before turning it around.

Brooks had Lorenzen at quarterback for his senior year along with Derek Abney and Glenn Holt at receivers and Arliss Beach in the backfield. UK has nothing close to that this year. Let's not act like the cupboard was bare when Brooks took over. There was enough there to play Arkansas to multiple overtimes, play Alabama to within 10 points and Tennessee to within 13 points. Brooks went from 4-8 to 2-9 before turning it around.

And who was in charge of recruiting the current roster? That was supposed to be this staff's strength.