September 12, 201115 yr Why would he step out of bounds? I've never seen a team lose a game that was kneeling the ball out. Never. Ask Giants fans about taking a knee...
September 12, 201115 yr I thought I was bad. Bengals win a division game on the road, and we still have people "chirpin" about it. Wow!! Tough room.
September 12, 201115 yr I thought I was bad. Bengals win a division game on the road, and we still have people "chirpin" about it. Wow!! Tough room. Agreed. Just sad. Haters hate, it's what they do.
September 12, 201115 yr Since apparently I simply don’t have it in me to completely ignore my hometown team in which I’ve invested 25+ years of mostly irrational support. I present to you my maybe weekly wrap-up of how bad the Bengals suck. Week One: @ Cleveland, W 27-17 Summary: Not exactly an impressive victory. The Browns still suck, the Bengals surrendered a 13-0 2nd quarter lead, and were losing 17-13 in the 4th quarter, and frankly, both 4th quarter TD’s had as much, if not more to do with the Browns own ineptitude than the Bengals competence. That said, the Bengals did do an adequate job of just not screwing up, and in doing so, allowed the Browns to lose the game, as is their want. After only one game the Bengals have reached 25% of last season’s win total, and kept Dan Patrick and Rodney Harrison from making fun of them on the NBC Sunday night game for at least one more week. Goals Accomplished: • Win a game. Week one, and ultimate futility is already voided. Assured of not going 0-16. • Win a road game. Assured the Cincinnati television market could actually witness a victory. • Throw the ball to Jermaine Gresham more than any other receiving target. Take that Bratkowski! I already like Jay Gruden better. • Don’t turn the ball over. 0 turnovers. I’m pretty amazed by that one. 1 rookie QB making his 1st start, and 1 crappy journeyman QB who can’t see over his lineman, and in the rain in the second half. Amazing. • Have 5 or less penalties in a game. Just 3! What the...?? I’m assuming it was just an anomaly, but still amazing. Including no “dumb” penalties (lined up in neutral zone, false start, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.) - very unBengals like. The penalties called were all totally excusable in my book. • Offensive Pass Interference on AJ Green – okay, you gotta determine where the line is, just don’t do it again. • Defensive PI on Hall – borderline call, that probably shouldn’t have been called in my opinion. • Illegal hands to the face on Kyle Cook – over the course of the game, this could get called 20 times, it just so happened the guy’s helmet came off and the ref saw it. • Don’t challenge calls that are clearly correct. Typically one of the Bengals’ many Achilles heals, they actually went 50/50 in challenges – also very unBengals like. Both were good challenges. • On the touchback, it looked like a touchback live, and the replay confirmed as much, plus it was the difference of 20 yards, potential safety backed up on your own 1 yard line, and momentum late in the 3rd quarter of a game they were losing at the time, so it was well worth the challenge. • On the tipped ball. It since the ball was thrown as such a duck, it sure looked live like it was tipped, so it’s tough to fault them on that one. Plus it was a third down play (that b/c of the PI penalty) resulted in a first down, when Cleveland was up, late in the third, so again, it was worth the challenge in my opinion. Normally, the Bengals challenge plays the are pretty clearly correct, that if overturned would result in 5 yards difference, in a game that’s already decided. • Shut up the Browns fans in my office. Not so fast, guy-originally-from-[Toledo, Akron, Columbus, Marion and Lima] the Bengals aren’t quite ready to assume the worst-team-in-the-AFC North-year-in-and-year-out mantle just yet. Edited September 12, 201115 yr by Colonels_Wear_Blue
September 12, 201115 yr Ask Giants fans about taking a knee... Are you talking about the play where they handed it off and fumbled? Clearly that and taking a knee are different right? If the only time you can think of a team ever losing in that situation, but you gave an example of a different scenario you can't ever think of a team losing while in victory formation. Thanks for proving my point. I'm sure there is at least one example of a team being down 10 with the ball and at the very least sending it to OT. However there may never be a team taking a knee to run out the clock that has. Therefore like I said a team player goes down to end the game. He's also not intelligent enough to have gone down a play or two earlier rather than running directly out of bounds. I'll stick with my thought process that he's all about Ced and not all about team wins.
September 12, 201115 yr Are you talking about the play where they handed it off and fumbled? Clearly that and taking a knee are different right? If the only time you can think of a team ever losing in that situation, but you gave an example of a different scenario you can't ever think of a team losing while in victory formation. Thanks for proving my point. I'm sure there is at least one example of a team being down 10 with the ball and at the very least sending it to OT. However there may never be a team taking a knee to run out the clock that has. Therefore like I said a team player goes down to end the game. He's also not intelligent enough to have gone down a play or two earlier rather than running directly out of bounds. I'll stick with my thought process that he's all about Ced and not all about team wins. You're right about the Giants, I forgot it was a handoff. Really though Ceds job is to run hard and try to score on every touch. It is the coaches job to manage the game with a two score lead. Any way they put a W in the ledger, really all that matters.
September 12, 201115 yr Coach Shurmur said yesterday that the officials screwed up by not allowing his D to sub in players since the Bengals subbed on the play that resulted in the TD to Green. After further review he realizes he was incorrect. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/09/cleveland_browns_had_ample_tim.html
September 13, 201115 yr You're right about the Giants, I forgot it was a handoff. Really though Ceds job is to run hard and try to score on every touch. It is the coaches job to manage the game with a two score lead. Any way they put a W in the ledger, really all that matters. Agreed but other team players as has been mentioned knew the situation and went down to guarantee a victory. Teams are dumb not to make their players go down in that situation and more teams are dumb not to let teams score so they get the ball back. You really dont expect Marvin to understand all that right? He has no clue how to manage the clock. Obviously it was going to be tough to lose. Kneeling the ball would have made it nearly impossible b/c when teams are kneeling it they don't lose.
September 13, 201115 yr I will and I'll have fun while I do it. They are 1-0 with a good chance to go 2-0 next week. WHO DEYYYYYYYYY HATERS GONNA HATE Gonna hate Mike "the clown" Brown you can bet on that.
September 13, 201115 yr I'm not getting behind an owner. I could careless about ownership. I am a fan of the kids who are busting their tails on the field. All that matters. You're not giving them your hard earned money nor is it going to the places it needs to go to make this a competitive franchise. Most of that is going in Mike Brown's pockets where it's going to stay.
September 13, 201115 yr You're not giving them your hard earned money nor is it going to the places it needs to go to make this a competitive franchise. Most of that is going in Mike Brown's pockets where it's going to stay. You are one of those bitter fans who won't support the players because you are afraid of giving Mike Brown any money. I am not that short sighted. Last time I checked Mike Brown was not on the field. I support the NFL as a whole. Love the league. I buy jerseys, attend games in Cincy as well as other cities. I love to watch great talent. Has nothing to do with any of the billionaire owners.
September 13, 201115 yr Agreed but other team players as has been mentioned knew the situation and went down to guarantee a victory. Teams are dumb not to make their players go down in that situation and more teams are dumb not to let teams score so they get the ball back. You really dont expect Marvin to understand all that right? He has no clue how to manage the clock. Obviously it was going to be tough to lose. Kneeling the ball would have made it nearly impossible b/c when teams are kneeling it they don't lose. Agreed. However in your previous post you put the blame on Ced. I totally disagree with that, as it now seems you do, as you shifted it to Marvin. Unless he was specifically told not to go into the end zone, Ced did exactly what he should have done.
September 13, 201115 yr Agreed. However in your previous post you put the blame on Ced. I totally disagree with that, as it now seems you do, as you shifted it to Marvin. Unless he was specifically told not to go into the end zone, Ced did exactly what he should have done. A team player would have gone down. All I said was he should have gone down. Either way they were likely to win. If he went down it guaranteed it. I do also blame Marvin for not instructing his guys how to manage the clock. The problem is he doesn't know how so it doesn't matter.
September 14, 201115 yr Agreed. However in your previous post you put the blame on Ced. I totally disagree with that, as it now seems you do, as you shifted it to Marvin. Unless he was specifically told not to go into the end zone, Ced did exactly what he should have done. A team player would have gone down. All I said was he should have gone down. Either way they were likely to win. If he went down it guaranteed it. I do also blame Marvin for not instructing his guys how to manage the clock. The problem is he doesn't know how so it doesn't matter. You are wrong SSC on this, or at least wrong in acting like that is a common thing to do. I think I remember people actually stopping and taking a knee just like twice or three times at most in my life. Before Westbrook did it, I never even heard of someone doing that before. So that is not a common practice for people to do at all. So it's silly to get down on them to say he is not a team player, and stuff when only like two or three players have ever done that.
September 14, 201115 yr You are wrong SSC on this, or at least wrong in acting like that is a common thing to do. I think I remember people actually stopping and taking a knee just like twice or three times at most in my life. Before Westbrook did it, I never even heard of someone doing that before. So that is not a common practice for people to do at all. So it's silly to get down on them to say he is not a team player, and stuff when only like two or three players have ever done that. Where did I say it was common? The fact is it has happened, and no team has ever lost (that anyone can recall) while snapping a ball and taking a knee to run the clock out. It has happened more than twice or three times too. Way more. Some college coaches are smart enough to use the clock to their advantage. Also, and none of you are commenting on this he ran out of bounds a play or two earlier stopping the clock. Are you saying a team has never come from down 10 with two minutes left to win in football? I am saying that no team has ever run the clock out with the lead and lost.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.