Magoffin County Hornets 2006

MOJO

Also, I have to call out to the few supporters of Hornets football on here. If you really wish to see the program improve, stick your neck out and be heard. You cannot to begin to understand how important it is to a community for the high school program to bring pride to the community.

In Belfry, we take pride of our program. Whether or not that is healthy is a matter for another debate. However, it cannot be disputed just how much it matters to the community. If Magoffin goes after a man from a tradition rich program and really supports him, they will be successful. People must keep in mind that 2a football requires 20 solid players to be successful. I have a hard time believing that Magoffin doesn't have 15 players walking the halls that could make up the bulk of the starting O and D and another 10 that could provide adequate practice competition.

If I had a son entering that school, I would be active. When I was in elementary school, I once asked for additional yams during a lunch period. The lunch ladies said I would have to pay 40 cents for it and I didn't have it. I went home and told my parents I would need a little more money so I could get some more food at lunch period. My stepmom went to school the next day and spoke with our principle. It turned out that the school system had regulations in place that allowed students to get more food if it was available at no cost. Due to my stepmother's involvement, not only I but many other students were able to request seconds at no cost.

This kind of community involvement is vital! Education in the mountains needs to improve. Many will argue that football is not the answer. I disagree. Give these kids an oppurtunity to be proud of something and grow together.

I nominate this as the best post to ever be made on BGP!!!!!!!

This is unimaginable to me. I don't understand how a program so close to traditional mountain powers cannot at least be influenced to TRY to be succesful. Have the people in Magoffin Co even tried to go find a decent coach. They could probably go to Belfry and get a Cassell, Tackett, or Mickey and immediately bring respectability to their program. I am not saying any of these people would leave the Angry Red, but has Magoffin even tried? Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Johnson Central are all programs without spitting distance that have men who could breathe life into that program. If Magoffin doesn't at least offer men from these programs a head coaching job, then they simply do not care. Again, I can't speak for assistant coaches at these schools, but its hard for me to believe that these men would not love to be Head Coaches.
The answer is NO, no one has tried. The question is why has no one tried. The answer to that is politics..........

The answer is NO, no one has tried. The question is why has no one tried. The answer to that is politics..........

Sorry if I step on some toes...but I disagree. (To be fair, this can also be applied to Betsy Layne and many other schools with weak programs)

The real answer is...the parents allow it to happen. If 20-30 parents were "motivated" enough to attend board meetings as a group and said what they wanted and kept it up, things would change.

Since this has gone on sooo long...my take on the situation is...football is something the parents in Magoffin are largely indifferent about.

:irked: