Collinsworth Starts His Coaching Gig

Clyde

From his blog:

I am going to get my football fix this fall even if the lockout cancels the NFL season. Highlands High School's head coach Dale Mueller (winner of 4 straight state championships) called to ask if I would be interested in coaching wide receivers. I laughed. He said he was serious. The pay wasn't much (zero), but he promised I would have fun. My son Jac is one of the receivers on the team, and I had already polluted his brain with most of my receiving advice. But what the heck, the NFL will probably miss at least half of their season anyway, I agreed. Today is my first day. I just got the playbook and I feel like a first year rookie all over again. The plays are scrambled eggs in my brain, and I feel a little anxious. But, I love coaching. I coached many of these kids in the junior football league, and they always kept me entertained.

I have a theory on coaching. Today's kids missed the fun part of sports. We all grew up playing sports in the yard or on the street. We created our own rules and settled our own disputes. We fought and cussed for the first times in our lives with our best friends. By the time we put on a uniform, we had already fallen in love with the game. Today, these kids are being coached by adults and put on select teams by the time they learn their ABC's. They miss all the fun stuff. They almost look at sports as a job. Too bad. One of the reasons I took this job is that Dale Mueller brings the fun back to football. He makes everything a game. The kids giggle and laugh all day at his toilet paper stories and games of tag.

I had a Xavier Soccer coach tell me that at least once a week he rolls the ball out on the field and steps aside. He lets the kids play so that he can learn from them. He said they have a creative imagination that no adult could understand. I hope I can bring some of that imagination to Highlands HS. After four straight state football championships, there is only one way for the Highlands Bluebirds to go with me. Maybe the NFL will save me and actually play football, but if not, you will know where to find me on Friday nights. Go Birds!

http://footballpros.com/content.php/968-Lockout-Looming-I-Took-a-Job-For-This-Fall-Wide-Receiver-Coach-at-Highlands-HS?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice picture of "Dancing with the stars " champ , Hienz Ward with Mr. Collinsworth . Do you think Cris will make an appearance on the show ? The show has featured Emmit Smith , Chuck Liddel , Sugar Ray Leonard , to name a few , could Mr. C be next ? Will Highlands football be enough to keep Cris busy during the NFL lockout ?

Man, you talking about Highlands and NKY getting some National Attention. Anyone think Dale likes that one, and is USA Today taking notice and will they rank my Birds in their PreSeason Top 25 ? or will they snub Highlands again this yr. Its not like this is a one and done for Highlands, they are a Dynasty on a roll with little end in sight and they deserve everything they get even if CC is or isn't on board.

Man, you talking about Highlands and NKY getting some National Attention. Anyone think Dale likes that one, and is USA Today taking notice and will they rank my Birds in their PreSeason Top 25 ? or will they snub Highlands again this yr. Its not like this is a one and done for Highlands, they are a Dynasty on a roll with little end in sight and they deserve everything they get even if CC is or isn't on board.

Let's say he remains on board, I see an impact on the players but I agree that I don't think this will be a game changer for the Birds. Hopefully the younger kids will learn alot.

Let's say he remains on board' date=' I see an impact on the players but I agree that I don't think this will be a game changer for the Birds. Hopefully the younger kids will learn alot.[/quote']

Right on. Beechwood had Max Montoya coaching for a time, Moeller had Munoz for a while...they were nice to have there as coaches, and no doubt they offered great insight, but they didn't re-create the programs or anything.