Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scandal Involving KHSAA Officials?

Featured Replies

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't see how this is a "huge scandel involving KHSAA officials," as the thread title suggests. Talk about hyperbole.

 

Two officials were arrested for serious offense(s). How is that a scandel? It's two guys selling drugs, getting caught and going to jail. Happens every day everywhere. It's two guys out of how many officials that are sanctioned by the KHSAA?

 

And, I know 30 to 40 officials were banned from officiating this year, after the background check for past offenses. But again, that's 30 to 40 out of a pool of how many officials? 1,000 or 2,000. I honestly don't know. But I'd bet it's like five percent of the total number of officials in the state, mayber lower.

 

A scandel to me would have been something like officials conspiring to fix games, betting on games, or blackballing certain coaches or players they dislike. This is simply a couple of people who committed crimes and are going to pay, or have committed crimes and are now paying. Always going to be a percentage of people in society who do this.

So, you think that it's more of a scandal that an official fixes a game than to actually deal drugs to the very kids he's officiating? Holy cow. You should run for governor.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, you think that it's more of a scandal that an official fixes a game than to actually deal drugs to the very kids he's officiating? Holy cow. You should run for governor.

 

While I agree it is a heinous crime for these two to commit, don't rewrite the story. Nowhere does it say they were dealing to the kids they were officiating. It may be, but that has not been alleged yet and certainly not yet proven.

While I agree it is a heinous crime for these two to commit, don't rewrite the story. Nowhere does it say they were dealing to the kids they were officiating. It may be, but that has not been alleged yet and certainly not yet proven.

I'm not rewriting the story. I'm speculating just like everyone else has been. Either way, dealing drugs and fixing basketball games are on level playing ground, right?:rolleyes:

  • Author
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't see how this is a "huge scandel involving KHSAA officials," as the thread title suggests. Talk about hyperbole.

 

Two officials were arrested for serious offense(s). How is that a scandel? It's two guys selling drugs, getting caught and going to jail. Happens every day everywhere. It's two guys out of how many officials that are sanctioned by the KHSAA?

 

And, I know 30 to 40 officials were banned from officiating this year, after the background check for past offenses. But again, that's 30 to 40 out of a pool of how many officials? 1,000 or 2,000. I honestly don't know. But I'd bet it's like five percent of the total number of officials in the state, mayber lower.

 

A scandel to me would have been something like officials conspiring to fix games, betting on games, or blackballing certain coaches or players they dislike. This is simply a couple of people who committed crimes and are going to pay, or have committed crimes and are now paying. Always going to be a percentage of people in society who do this.

 

I think you're missing the point that the two arrests were "the tip of the iceberg". The huge scandal involves numerous other refs, a high-ranking KHSAA official, Eastern Kentucky doctors, gambling and prescription drugs.

 

That is the rumor that would be a "huge scandal".

I think you're missing the point that the two arrests were "the tip of the iceberg". The huge scandal involves numerous other refs, a high-ranking KHSAA official, Eastern Kentucky doctors, gambling and prescription drugs.

 

That is the rumor that would be a "huge scandal".

Come on Wireman, it's only a scandal if it affects the outcome of a game.
I think you're missing the point that the two arrests were "the tip of the iceberg". The huge scandal involves numerous other refs, a high-ranking KHSAA official, Eastern Kentucky doctors, gambling and prescription drugs.

 

That is the rumor that would be a "huge scandal".

 

So, are you saying that there is more to come regarding this story? If this would involve point shaving at the Sweet 16, then I would say it's a scandal, but a couple rogue refs who made poor choices is not a scandal imo. Sounds like there is more to it when you say "it's the tip of the iceberg".

  • Author
Come on Wireman, it's only a scandal if it affects the outcome of a game.

 

:lol:

 

And actually, I think I read somewhere that it did involved panning prescription drugs DURING KHSAA athletics events. That's seems pretty scandalous to me...

  • Author
So, are you saying that there is more to come regarding this story? If this would involve point shaving at the Sweet 16, then I would say it's a scandal, but a couple rogue refs who made poor choices is not a scandal imo. Sounds like there is more to it when you say "it's the tip of the iceberg".

 

Oscar Combs on Twitter:

 

- Rumors are swirling number of high school basketball referees may be tied into drug/gambling scandal that could involve doctors in East Ky.

- On heels of two arrests recently in Letcher County, there are reports this may only be tip of iceberg and that more arrests could be coming.

- This has "potential" to be much more damaging than anything we've seen on high school level in Kentucky.

So, are you saying that there is more to come regarding this story? If this would involve point shaving at the Sweet 16, then I would say it's a scandal, but a couple rogue refs who made poor choices is not a scandal imo. Sounds like there is more to it when you say "it's the tip of the iceberg".

Right, because district games or regional final point shaving is NOT a scandal. Got it.

 

I swear, I think that maybe the referee's junkies are in this forum.

 

Heck, maybe I'm on drugs. Because I can't see that the point shaving issue is larger or "more scandalous" than dealing drugs at a game they were officiating or at a minumum, a game that is sanctioned by the body that grants them the ability to be a mediator.

Wait,,,,,hold the phone. Maybe the official is on to something. If the parents from the 14th and 15th regions are the ones dealt the drugs, maybe that explains the posts on some other competitors site.

Edited by spindoc

My parents turned me on the the genius that was Tom Lehrer many, many years ago. He wrote the song "The Old Dope Peddler" something like 60 years ago. Here's a snippet:

 

He gives the kids free samples

Because he knows full well

That today's young innocent faces

Will be tomorrow's clientele

Caretaker: "All I'm saying is that you could have robbed banks, sold dope or stole your grandmother's pension checks and none of us would have minded. But shaving points off of a football game, man that's un-American".

 

He said football, but you get the message.

I edited the word "Huge" out of the title.

Caretaker: "All I'm saying is that you could have robbed banks, sold dope or stole your grandmother's pension checks and none of us would have minded. But shaving points off of a football game, man that's un-American".

 

He said football, but you get the message.

 

Great movie reference mcpapa!

I edited the word "Huge" out of the title.

 

Good, cause that was really throwing me off. "Scandal" OK, but "Huge Scandal"................ Never mind, I have no idea where I was going with this.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.