Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scandal Involving KHSAA Officials?

Featured Replies

  • Author

"This has 'potential' to be much more damaging than anything we've seen on high school level in Kentucky."

 

That sounds pretty big to me, but I guess we'll have to see how it all plays out.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Here we go...

 

@bPatton22 Just confirmed one drug related arrest has taken place in the referee gambling/drug scandal in EKY.14th region appears to be the epicenter.

Does anyone else feel like the biggest part of the scandal is that there were never thorough background checks for officials in the past?

 

As to the rest of this...yes, I consider it a big scandal. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold and have more details. I can think of tons of ways this could go.

Does anyone else feel like the biggest part of the scandal is that there were never thorough background checks for officials in the past?

 

As to the rest of this...yes, I consider it a big scandal. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold and have more details. I can think of tons of ways this could go.

I agree totally. And let's pray that point shaving wasn't involved too.:scared:

I agree totally. And let's pray that point shaving wasn't involved too.:scared:

 

I always knew there was a reason that Trinity ever lost any game other than the other team was just better on that night. :D

I had heard refs and doctors but I wonder who the high ranking khsaa official might be.

  • Author

I just found out the name of who was arrested today but not sure if it's cool to release it publicly. If you want it, DM me. Also, was just told that the investigation is spililng over into the 15th region.

I just found out the name of who was arrested today but not sure if it's cool to release it publicly. If you want it, DM me. Also, was just told that the investigation is spililng over into the 15th region.

 

An arrest is a public record. He is an adult.

 

I see no issue with naming him. We would if he was some other schmo.

  • Author
An arrest is a public record. He is an adult.

 

I see no issue with naming him. We would if he was some other schmo.

 

The reason I hate to say it publicly is because I was told by a third party and I don't want to take a chance of giving a name incorrectly.

The reason I hate to say it publicly is because I was told by a third party and I don't want to take a chance of giving a name incorrectly.

 

Cool.

So, you think that it's more of a scandal that an official fixes a game than to actually deal drugs to the very kids he's officiating? Holy cow. You should run for governor.

 

I'm not rewriting the story. I'm speculating just like everyone else has been. Either way, dealing drugs and fixing basketball games are on level playing ground, right?:rolleyes:

 

Speculating is rewriting the story, or at least adding your on twist to a story that may or may not be true. Seems you have a penchant for that. I'll attack this from another angle though, in hope you will understand I'm simply looking at the facts of the story as I read them. It will require you to actually read my entire post however, and not just start speculating.

 

Every segment of society has people who are criminals. Cops get arrested, doctors get arrested, teachers get arrested, etc. Two officials being charged with drug offenses does not constitute a scandal, that should tarnish the name of anyone who happens to be a KHSAA official. It constitutes .1 percent or less of all officials in the state.

 

When I saw the word scandal I figured the story was going to be about a network of officials conspiring to do any one of the things I listed in my initial post. That would be scandalous behavior by a network of officials that would cast a shadow over officials statewide. Right now, all we have is two idiots in jail on drug charges. Certainly a serious crime, and for you to insinuate I think otherwise is irresponsible. But, it's not a scandel unless there were a network of people working together.

 

I think you're missing the point that the two arrests were "the tip of the iceberg". The huge scandal involves numerous other refs, a high-ranking KHSAA official, Eastern Kentucky doctors, gambling and prescription drugs.

 

That is the rumor that would be a "huge scandal".

 

And in following your posts, it looks as though other arrests may be coming or maybe have been made. I didn't miss the point, I simple went with the facts as they were presented in the orginal article. From what I've read in your posts, this is certainly still playing out. Sounds like it may turn into a big deal involving a network of officials and even doctors and not just an isolated incident. That would be scandalous behavior, and not just isolated criminal actions.

Speculating is rewriting the story, or at least adding your on twist to a story that may or may not be true. Seems you have a penchant for that. I'll attack this from another angle though, in hope you will understand I'm simply looking at the facts of the story as I read them. It will require you to actually read my entire post however, and not just start speculating.

 

Every segment of society has people who are criminals. Cops get arrested, doctors get arrested, teachers get arrested, etc. Two officials being charged with drug offenses does not constitute a scandal, that should tarnish the name of anyone who happens to be a KHSAA official. It constitutes .1 percent or less of all officials in the state.

 

When I saw the word scandal I figured the story was going to be about a network of officials conspiring to do any one of the things I listed in my initial post. That would be scandalous behavior by a network of officials that would cast a shadow over officials statewide. Right now, all we have is two idiots in jail on drug charges. Certainly a serious crime, and for you to insinuate I think otherwise is irresponsible. But, it's not a scandel unless there were a network of people working together.

 

 

 

And in following your posts, it looks as though other arrests may be coming or maybe have been made. I didn't miss the point, I simple went with the facts as they were presented in the orginal article. From what I've read in your posts, this is certainly still playing out. Sounds like it may turn into a big deal involving a network of officials and even doctors and not just an isolated incident. That would be scandalous behavior, and not just isolated criminal actions.

Backpedal much?
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't see how this is a "huge scandel involving KHSAA officials," as the thread title suggests. Talk about hyperbole.

 

Two officials were arrested for serious offense(s). How is that a scandel? It's two guys selling drugs, getting caught and going to jail. Happens every day everywhere. It's two guys out of how many officials that are sanctioned by the KHSAA?

 

And, I know 30 to 40 officials were banned from officiating this year, after the background check for past offenses. But again, that's 30 to 40 out of a pool of how many officials? 1,000 or 2,000. I honestly don't know. But I'd bet it's like five percent of the total number of officials in the state, mayber lower.

 

A scandal to me would have been something like officials conspiring to fix games, betting on games, or blackballing certain coaches or players they dislike. This is simply a couple of people who committed crimes and are going to pay, or have committed crimes and are now paying. Always going to be a percentage of people in society who do this.

 

It is somewhat scadalous if you crunch some numbers. Let's say 40 are not supposed to be working with kids and they do 20 games. That is 800 games 2 teams at each game is now 1,600 schools. Now multiply only 12 players per school and that is 19,200 students that were affected. That does not count cheerleaders and other teams that might have played that night and students that may have attended. Now think about who pays the refs...they school systems. These systems have board policies that do not allow adults to work with kids unless there is a background check. Now they have paid them, techniquely not followed board policy and can now, if someone wants to go there, be held liable in some way. Yes it is a stretch but these things happen every day. When 40 turns into around 20,000 there is a bit of scandal that can be mentioned.

I think if the word "drug" was inserted before the word "scandal" then this thread would be more about the "drug scandal" involving officials and not an argument about what constitutes a "scandal".

 

FWIW, when I saw the words "huge scandal" and "officials" in the same sentence along with it being originally posted by Wireman my initial thoughts were that the Danville fans are right and that the 12th region refs actually do conspire against the Danville Admirals on the basketball court.:D

 

Everyone's interpretation of the words "scandal" and "officials" in the same sentence is different and I understand both points. Can we get back to the "drug scandal" now? Please and thank you.

Backpedal much?

 

Never and didn't here. Tried to make my point more clear to you.

 

Last graph in your quoted post was in response to a wireman post. If he has more facts coming, I'll listen. Sounds like he may be bringing information soon...

Edited by Sandman

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.