Was Mayfield's title run in 2010 the most dominate ever in class A?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why Danville and Beechwood don't play each other during regular season?

Beechwood is in the middle of northern Kentucky where, aside from it's district opponents, it has teams like Dixie, Highlands, Cov Cath, and New Cath that it can schedule without having a 4 hour round trip to Danville. It's logistics.

Additionally, there are quite a few other "newer" football programs (Holy Cross Covington, Bishop Brossart and Walton-Verona) who are all excited to get to cut their teeth against a program like Beechwood. New rivalries could even be forming out of those matchups.

Beechwood is in the middle of northern Kentucky where, aside from it's district opponents, it has teams like Dixie, Highlands, Cov Cath, and New Cath that it can schedule without having a 4 hour round trip to Danville. It's logistics.

Additionally, there are quite a few other "newer" football programs (Holy Cross Covington, Bishop Brossart and Walton-Verona) who are all excited to get to cut their teeth against a program like Beechwood. New rivalries could even be forming out of those matchups.

What would be nice is if LCA had a Bowl game with Beechwood,NCC and Danville.

In response to a few of the above posts:

1. Yes, I agree the top teams in 1A usually are good enough to play with anyone.

2. Yes, 1A is thin now but the top half dozen or so teams are usually very good and then there are another half dozen that are capable enough to pull off upsets.

3. I believe I heard somewhere that Beechwood looked into scheduling Danville for this coming season. Beechwood likes to schedule a regular season road trip game in the years they travel in the playoffs. That is why they are going to Elizabethtown this year. Maybe the schedules just didn't work for there to be a common open date for Beechwood and Danville.

I believe I would drive up to get the chance to see a Danville- Beechwood bout and would take a NCC - LCA game as a bonus. Ads - Tigers, if both are their customary selves would be a treat for any hs fan and a special treat for 1A and 2A fans like Mayfield who have battled both when the stakes have been so high. All those years against the Ads has made me become a big fan of theirs. I can't recall the Ads playing anyone besides Mayfield that I was not pulling for them. Beechwood is starting to grow on me for the same reasons. Both have fans that seem to me to be better informed about the game and most are great sports which further makes me like them.

Toothpick comes out of hibernation just a swangin' :)

Ya sound fired-up and ready to go again. Did the new Pastor bring a few of his athletic flock with him from Georgia? :)

He did deliver a qb, was good timing as we graduated our qb from last year. We like to think of it as devine intervention around here :thumb: God loves his Mayfield Cardinals!

Edited by Toothpick

I believe I would drive up to get the chance to see a Danville- Beechwood bout and would take a NCC - LCA game as a bonus. Ads - Tigers, if both are their customary selves would be a treat for any hs fan and a special treat for 1A and 2A fans like Mayfield who have battled both when the stakes have been so high. All those years against the Ads has made me become a big fan of theirs. I can't recall the Ads playing anyone besides Mayfield that I was not pulling for them. Beechwood is starting to grow on me for the same reasons. Both have fans that seem to me to be better informed about the game and most are great sports which further makes me like them.

I say, let's sign a petition and send it to the respected coaches and get this thing on...LOL

He did deliver a qb, was good timing as we graduated our qb from last year. We like to think of it as devine intervention around here :thumb: God loves his Mayfield Cardinals!

What's the story with this new QB from Ga? Hear he's a good athlete and more a running QB that can pass vs what Luke was, a throwing QB that could occassionally take it and run.

Story I hear is just that he is an excellent athlete and will be one of fastest on team but not ideal for last years system. My best guess is to look for Jake Guhy to be the qb and this kid to be used elsewhere granted we will have a ton of depth in all the skill positions returning but we can always make use of a good athlete. Jake was outstanding as a qb for the jv last year, granted that is not varsity but he was very much like his big brother and way ahead of where Luke Guhy was as a sophmore. To me it looked like his biggest weakness was accuracy with the deep ball due to not being as strong as Luke but by next year I expect that to improve. I know that is an area that he is working hard at. His strengths are his short passes and decision making at the line of scrimmage both before and after the snap. One thing both he and brother Luke excell at is looking over the defense and checking off to the play that gives us the best chance at positive yardage. QB play will be fine if our line play is decent. With Jackson back I look for our run game to be a load and that will help Jake just as it did his brother.

A run for the ages! This is not likely to ever happen again in any class unless we keep adding classes which seems to be the norm these days. Only a 1 point loss in 95 or wit would have been 7 in a row

I know it's about Class A football but the above has "already happened" since.

Boyle's run was equally impressive I would say: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and runner-up in 2004. :thumb:

I know it's about Class A football but the above has "already happened" since.

Boyle's run was equally impressive I would say: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and runner-up in 2004. :thumb:

I must have had some sort of brain stroke to have forgot their run.

I think this one has run its course. I believe it is save to say the 2010 Cards run was the most dominate. Next maybe we should discuss best class A teams of all time, this team makes a strong case for this as well but so do a few others.