Kobe.....$100,000

Here is what is ridiculous about this. I commonly hear and see NBA players using words that many would find offensive (the "n" word being an extremely common example). The NBA is just trying to look progressive on the issue and it reeks of phoniness.

:thumb: Not defending what Kobe said but they are clearly making an example out of him. Countless time I have seen on camera players cuss and never heard about any of them getting fined.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb: Not defending what Kobe said but they are clearly making an example out of him. Countless time I have seen on camera players cuss and never heard about any of them getting fined.

I don't think it was the curse word as much as the 2nd word that he said that drew the fine. I don't think it's a big issue--no doubt Kobe is a jerk but I really don't think he meant anything malicious by it.

How did he not apologize? He did a few interviews and said a number of times it was stupid and he didn't mean it like that at all. What is there to appeal?

He never apologized or said he was sorry. A simple apology would have been nice. There have been many articles written that support that opinion. I felt what he said was enough for me (I think it is way overblown, I think we're too sensitive as a society) but many do not. I don't excuse what he said, its extremely immature coming from a grown man, but its not like it was an attack on the ref's character. JMO.

He never apologized or said he was sorry. A simple apology would have been nice. There have been many articles written that support that opinion. I felt what he said was enough for me (I think it is way overblown, I think we're too sensitive as a society) but many do not. I don't excuse what he said, its extremely immature coming from a grown man, but its not like it was an attack on the ref's character. JMO.

“What I said last night should not be taken literally,” he said. “My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.”

That is sufficient for me. He is suppose to say he "deeply regrets" it or something like that? So often we criticize athletes for fake apologies that in some ways I appreciate what he said. Fining him 100K for this is insane.

Kobe not really apologizing and appealing the fine looks bad to me.

The appeal is protocol. All fines are appealed. As a union employee myself he is correct and I understand the process. Whenever an employee gets in trouble at work a preliminary grievance is filed whether the employee was completely wrong or not. The grievance will always be filed.

If it wasn't Kobe who said it do you think it would be as big of a story?

He's one of the biggest stars in the NBA, everything he does is a big story. And no, it's not okay for Tommy the Electrician in Staten Island to say it either, but they aren't going to run a story about him.