Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 10 X and O coaches in college basketball

Featured Replies

The pl;ayers you listed don't compare to the talent Cal has put in the league.....

 

At least I'm not the only one that sees that.

 

Try and give UK some kind of compliment and people don't want it.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pl;ayers you listed don't compare to the talent Cal has put in the league.....

 

At least I'm not the only one that sees that.

 

Try and give UK some kind of compliment and people don't want it.

 

Non UK fans just can't win....:lol:

 

I was accused of downplaying Duke's talent and I was just trying to be objective and realistic.:idunno:

Non UK fans just can't win....:lol:

 

I was accused of downplaying Duke's talent and I was just trying to be objective and realistic.:idunno:

 

 

I feel your pain. It's really not worth the time to participate in a discussion, as clearly, if you don't root for UK with a fervancy that's maniacal, you don't know basketball. :D

Non UK fans just can't win....:lol:

 

I was accused of downplaying Duke's talent and I was just trying to be objective and realistic.:idunno:

 

Hardly. Its "Coach Cal can't coach. He just has good players. Now Coach K.... that guy can coach." Which implies that Coach K doesn't have equally good talent. While in another thread we're talking about Irving being the best player in the country.

 

Its this trying to separate Cal and K based on talent that people aren't having. Either they can both coach, or they're both only good recruiters. Period.

 

Nobody wants to credit Cal for his coaching ability, which is ludicrous.

Hardly. Its "Coach Cal can't coach. He just has good players. Now Coach K.... that guy can coach." Which implies that Coach K doesn't have equally good talent. While in another thread we're talking about Irving being the best player in the country.

 

Its this trying to separate Cal and K based on talent that people aren't having. Either they can both coach, or they're both only good recruiters. Period.

 

Nobody wants to credit Cal for his coaching ability, which is ludicrous.

 

Great post. You nailed it.

 

 

:thumb:

Hardly. Its "Coach Cal can't coach. He just has good players. Now Coach K.... that guy can coach." Which implies that Coach K doesn't have equally good talent. While in another thread we're talking about Irving being the best player in the country.

 

Its this trying to separate Cal and K based on talent that people aren't having. Either they can both coach, or they're both only good recruiters. Period.

 

Nobody wants to credit Cal for his coaching ability, which is ludicrous.

 

Calipari had 5 players drafted in the first round of the 2010 NBA draft and lost in the Elite 8. Coach K had 1 guy drafted and won the National Championship.

 

When was the last time a player of Kyrie Irving's talent was at Duke? Calipari has had the last 2 NBA Rookie of the Years and would likely have 3 in a row if not for Blake Griffin being a redshirt rookie.

 

Sad part is I have given Calipari credit for being a good coach and did as much in the Coach Calipari thread. To summarize....his best coaching is likely done in practice/pregame moreso than in a timeout with 35 seconds left in the game as Jim Schue so eloquently put it. I really don't know what else you expect me to say. I think it is fairly obvious that Calipari is fielding the most talented rosters more consistently than anyone else. Especially now that he is at UK. Now tell him to get a ring to validate it so all of this talent doesn't go to waste.

Calipari had 5 players drafted in the first round of the 2010 NBA draft and lost in the Elite 8. Coach K had 1 guy drafted and won the National Championship.

 

When was the last time a player of Kyrie Irving's talent was at Duke? Calipari has had the last 2 NBA Rookie of the Years and would likely have 3 in a row if not for Blake Griffin being a redshirt rookie.

 

Sad part is I have given Calipari credit for being a good coach and did as much in the Coach Calipari thread. To summarize....his best coaching is likely done in practice/pregame moreso than in a timeout with 35 seconds left in the game as Jim Schue so eloquently put it. I really don't know what else you expect me to say. I think it is fairly obvious that Calipari is fielding the most talented rosters more consistently than anyone else. Especially now that he is at UK. Now tell him to get a ring to validate it so all of this talent doesn't go to waste.

 

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, but don't pull out that "I downplayed Duke's talent" nonsense when you're doing it to build up Coach K. The net effect is you're still using the argument to rank Duke (Coach K) above UK (Cal). So don't act like you're going against all your Duke fanhood by making that argument.

 

We're also comparing a coach that has been at his school for 31 years vs. one who has been at this school for 2. Give Cal 31 years at UK and I'm sure he'll hang a banner or two.

Well Rondo jumped ship early, and most of his talent has been developed in the NBA, I didn't think Rondo was ready when he left but he did. Morris was just a head case, lots of talent but a head case. Take those two away and that's half the class. Bradley turned out pretty well but it was his junior and senior years, he just took some time to develop. Crawford was the best college player in that group by a mile in my opinion.

 

Tubby held Rondo back with his style of play, it took Billy G to develop Crawford and Bradley, and yeah well Morris was lazy. The point I'm trying to make is Tubby couldn't do any better when he had talent. His teams were always brewing in some sort of controversy. Cal can get talented players to play together and motivated. I'll take that any day of the week over the "X's and O's guy" who has no knack for working with taleneted players.

John Wooden was a horrible X's and O's guy until oddly enough he started getting the best players. Don't believe me, google it!

All college coaches recruit to their system. The best X and O coaches are high school coaches. The reason is, the good high school coaches change their offense every year to fit the talent.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, but don't pull out that "I downplayed Duke's talent" nonsense when you're doing it to build up Coach K. The net effect is you're still using the argument to rank Duke (Coach K) above UK (Cal). So don't act like you're going against all your Duke fanhood by making that argument.

 

We're also comparing a coach that has been at his school for 31 years vs. one who has been at this school for 2. Give Cal 31 years at UK and I'm sure he'll hang a banner or two.

 

Wrong. Coach K is a better coach than Cal. Period. Talent or not. I don't need to use the talent argument to figure that out. I never went against my fanhood to state anything . Did you even read the whole thread or did you just jump in? The conversation drifted to Duke players in the NBA compared to UK players and the 'downplayed Duke talent' convo focused on the fact that UK will likely have more players than Duke in the NBA in a year or so and that UK's talent is more all star ready than Duke's talent. No one said Duke didn't have talent nor ever had talent. I just think UK's talent, especially recently has been better than Duke's. That led to the non UK fans can't win comment. Even when we say you guys are better you still take offense. My context of the discussion is different from yours.

When was the last time a player of Kyrie Irving's talent was at Duke? Calipari has had the last 2 NBA Rookie of the Years and would likely have 3 in a row if not for Blake Griffin being a redshirt rookie.

 

Don't you think if Griffin had played last year, he might have won the award then also? :)

When was the last time a player of Kyrie Irving's talent was at Duke? Calipari has had the last 2 NBA Rookie of the Years and would likely have 3 in a row if not for Blake Griffin being a redshirt rookie.

 

Don't you think if Griffin had played last year, he might have won the award then also? :)

 

 

Yeah. Most likely. It would still give Cal two of the last 3 ROY's along with the 2nd best rookie the year he didn't win it.

Yeah. Most likely. It would still give Cal two of the last 3 ROY's along with the 2nd best rookie.

 

No arguments there, but doesn't it speak to Cal's coaching too? These guys weren't #1 coming out of high school.

 

Evans - ranked 6 and 7 by rivals/scout

Rose - ranked 3 and 6 by rivals/scout

Wall - OK... he was ranked #1.

 

But seriously, doesn't this speak to Cal's ability to develop (COACH) his players?

No arguments there, but doesn't it speak to Cal's coaching too? These guys weren't #1 coming out of high school.

 

Evans - ranked 6 and 7 by rivals/scout

Rose - ranked 3 and 6 by rivals/scout

Wall - OK... he was ranked #1.

 

But seriously, doesn't this speak to Cal's ability to develop (COACH) his players?

 

Absolutely. I was alluding to as much in my post where I quoted Jim Schue in saying that he is obviously a better practice/pregame coach than in game coach. I also should note how effective UK has been coming out of timeouts this year as well as the emergence of Harrellson.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.