Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 10 X and O coaches in college basketball

Featured Replies

No arguments there, but doesn't it speak to Cal's coaching too? These guys weren't #1 coming out of high school.

 

Evans - ranked 6 and 7 by rivals/scout

Rose - ranked 3 and 6 by rivals/scout

Wall - OK... he was ranked #1.

 

But seriously, doesn't this speak to Cal's ability to develop (COACH) his players?

No to me he is great at developing players but that is different than in game coaching.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No to me he is great at developing players but that is different than in game coaching.

 

Thats fine, but I do love that we've gone from two distinctions (coaching/ x and o vs recruiting) to three (coaching, developing, recruiting). Just so we can keep saying Cal can't coach.

To me those are 3 different distinctions. I also think coaches that have won multiple titles arre above ave. in all 3 of these. Cal is well above average in two of the three but when you get deep i nthe tournament and play teams that have great coaches and players you have to be above average in game coach to win.

To me those are 3 different distinctions. I also think coaches that have won multiple titles arre above ave. in all 3 of these. Cal is well above average in two of the three but when you get deep i nthe tournament and play teams that have great coaches and players you have to be above average in game coach to win.

 

And Cal is not an above average game coach? Please provide some examples of his poor coaching (more than losing one game to Bill Self).

No to me he is great at developing players but that is different than in game coaching.

 

I will take my chances with a guy who recruits and gets top flight talent, who can also develop and motivate there game to higher leverover an x and o guys anyday of the week.

I will take my chances with a guy who recruits and gets top flight talent, who can also develop and motivate there game to higher leverover an x and o guys anyday of the week.

 

I will to but how long will UK fans put up with sweet 16's and elite 8's. It is good now compaired to the past few years but if it continues for a period of years that will get old to UK fans as well.

And Cal is not an above average game coach? Please provide some examples of his poor coaching (more than losing one game to Bill Self).

I think he got out coached last year in the NCAA by Huggins and this season by Donvon in the game at Flordia. I don't think he was outcoached in the games at Ark, Ole Miss, and Vandy, this year but I think some better decisions and switching things could have resulted in wins in those games.

And Cal is not an above average game coach? Please provide some examples of his poor coaching (more than losing one game to Bill Self).

 

How about when he lost to Louisville in the C-USA finals with missed free throws. That was long before the Kansas loss and going in to the Final Four he said he wasn't worried about his teams free throw shooting, even though it had been horrible all year. You'd think the C-USA game that cost him a tourney birth years before would show just how crucial they can be.

I think he got out coached last year in the NCAA by Huggins and this season by Donvon in the game at Flordia. I don't think he was outcoached in the games at Ark, Ole Miss, and Vandy, this year but I think some better decisions and switching things could have resulted in wins in those games.

 

Those aren't examples. That's "he could have done better." How? Does he run bad out of bounds plays? Does his defensive plan stink? Does he use bad half court sets? Does he substitute poorly?

How about when he lost to Louisville in the C-USA finals with missed free throws. That was long before the Kansas loss and going in to the Final Four he said he wasn't worried about his teams free throw shooting, even though it had been horrible all year. You'd think the C-USA game that cost him a tourney birth years before would show just how crucial they can be.

 

So he can't coach free throws? This year's team is 71.5%. National average is 69.3%. Last year's was 66.9% vs the average of 68.9%. Memphis was 69% vs an average of 68.9% in 2009.

 

And wouldn't that fall under the player development category that we've already said isn't' the same as coaching?

Those aren't examples. That's "he could have done better." How? Does he run bad out of bounds plays? Does his defensive plan stink? Does he use bad half court sets? Does he substitute poorly?

I would say all of the above there have been games in which he has done each of those you listed. I am not saying he won't ever win the big one but I won't be suprised if he never does either because when it gets to these games in game coaching a lot of times is the deciding factor because at that point the talent level is pretty even.

I would say all of the above there have been games in which he has done each of those you listed. I am not saying he won't ever win the big one but I won't be suprised if he never does either because when it gets to these games in game coaching a lot of times is the deciding factor because at that point the talent level is pretty even.

 

Great... so you go with a "yeah... that." I'll take that as a "no... i have no actual examples of poor coaching."

Great... so you go with a "yeah... that." I'll take that as a "no... i have no actual examples of poor coaching."

Well if you want to get specific he did nothing to go against WVU 1-3-1 last year. He could have beat Ark. and Ole Miss if he would have switched and played Zone in hose games. Look at the talent he has had a both Memphis and UK and not won that is proof enough how many more years will he have the top recruits in the country at UK and not make the final four let alone win. You must be Cals brother or son or president of his fan club. I like UK and I am glad they have Cal. I just don't think is the best in game coach and I don't think I am the only person who thinks that way.

Well if you want to get specific he did nothing to go against WVU 1-3-1 last year. He could have beat Ark. and Ole Miss if he would have switched and played Zone in hose games. Look at the talent he has had a both Memphis and UK and not won that is proof enough how many more years will he have the top recruits in the country at UK and not make the final four let alone win. You must be Cals brother or son or president of his fan club. I like UK and I am glad they have Cal. I just don't think is the best in game coach and I don't think I am the only person who thinks that way.

 

Now we're getting somewhere. I don't think the WVU game was much more than a poorly timed poor shooting game by UK.

 

On playing zone, he absolutely hates zone, but has played a fair bit down the stretch. Its just amusing that every game Cal loses is a result of bad coaching. Apparently there are a LOT of bad coaches out there because Cal has a heck of a W-L record.

Now we're getting somewhere. I don't think the WVU game was much more than a poorly timed poor shooting game by UK.

 

On playing zone, he absolutely hates zone, but has played a fair bit down the stretch. Its just amusing that every game Cal loses is a result of bad coaching. Apparently there are a LOT of bad coaches out there because Cal has a heck of a W-L record.

 

He has heck of a won loss record so does a lot of coaches who also have national titles as well. Because of in game coaching you can rack up an impressive W-L record when you have great talent especially when you have years of great talent and play in the C-USA lets just in 5 years how many if any titles he wins.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.